Bother In Fan Zone - Gibraltar v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bother In Fan Zone

FANDABBYDOZZY

I didn't see any serious bother. We had a few strong words with queue-jumpers. I don't think they were geared up for the number of fans. We queued for an hour to buy 5 beers. When we got to the front we managed to get 3 before police said bar had to close at 7pm.

Quite a few chancers tried to buy their way into the queue but most were hunted.

The "fanzone" (and whole match experience in general) was a joke.

About 4 wee vans selling beer and 3 selling food. Massive queues for both (must've been 500 people in each queue) meant that even arriving in the vicinity of the ground at about 6:30, we knew we'd never get served in time. "Ahh well", we thought, "we'll get a juice/water inside the ground". Then after queueing for about 20 minutes to get in to the ground (initial ticket check, security pat down and then further ticket scanning) we found that there were only 3 kiosks open in the whole upper tier and massive queues.

An absolute farce of a set up. Did the Gibraltar FA ask the SFA to organise it, or are they just equally incompetent?

About 4 wee vans selling beer and 3 selling food. Massive queues for both (must've been 500 people in each queue) meant that even arriving in the vicinity of the ground at about 6:30, we knew we'd never get served in time. "Ahh well", we thought, "we'll get a juice/water inside the ground". Then after queueing for about 20 minutes to get in to the ground (initial ticket check, security pat down and then further ticket scanning) we found that there were only 3 kiosks open in the whole upper tier and massive queues.

An absolute farce of a set up. Did the Gibraltar FA ask the SFA to organise it, or are they just equally incompetent?

And there was a severe toilet paper shortage.

Don't forget the crowd jam on the way out where it seemed the support went through one small gate . :angry:

Yeah, couldn't understand also why there seemed to be just one gate open - I wondered what the situation would've been like had the crowd been bigger. Took us an hour after the whistle to get a bus (failed miserably to get a taxi or a bus for that time) back to Faro. Didn't seem too well organised in terms of where to wait, or the numbers available for the amount of supporters there.

We went out to the fanzone but ended up just going into the ground really early when we took a look at the beer queues. Seemed silly to have so few drinks / food outlets available when encouraging as many fans to head out to it before the game.

Don't forget the crowd jam on the way out where it seemed the support went through one small gate . :angry:

Yeah. Forgot about that!

It was after 11pm by the time we got back to Albufeira. Shocking.

I'm not convinced I was at the same game as some of you.

At full time I walked straight out, got to the main road and flagged a 'taxi' straight away.

The first ones out got taxis. When they all left, I said to my mates it'll take them about 20 mins to drop the incumbents off and about 20 mins to get back, and then we'll see a stream of taxis arriving, so to just wait it out.

That proved to be wrong. Well over an hour later with the rain now pishing down you barely saw a taxi, and the ones that did turn up seemed to be pre-booked by somebody.

We took a few taxi numbers and tried phoning them to book but couldn't get an answer.

In the end we took a walk down to the motorway and managed to flag one. Got back to Olhao to find everything was closing up. Found a small bar that was open, but only because it was a wake for a funeral during the day, though they were happy enough to let us sit in the corner and have a few drinks.