Golfers Forum. - Page 39 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Anyone just see Poulter win the Houston Open to qualify for Masters ? He's never won a stroke play on US Tour and he had to win to qualify.

I just started watching at 18th hole tonight. He shot a 73 on Thursday which was T123 and apparently no one in 35 yrs on US Tour has ever won from tha position.

He was 1 stroke behind at 18th tee and both players 20-23 feet from hole after 2 shots.

The other guy just misses his putt and Poulter sinks his 20 ft putt for birdie to go to a play-off which he wins.

Incredible.

Edited by fringo

10 hours ago, fringo said:

Anyone just see Poulter win the Houston Open to qualify for Masters ? He's never won a stroke play on US Tour and he had to win to qualify.

I just started watching at 18th hole tonight. He shot a 73 on Thursday which was T123 and apparently no one in 35 yrs on US Tour has ever won from tha position.

He was 1 stroke behind at 18th tee and both players 20-23 feet from hole after 2 shots.

The other guy just misses his putt and Poulter sinks his 20 ft putt for birdie to go to a play-off which he wins.

Incredible.

Watched it when it was free on Sky Sports Mix, he played very well and didn't get flustered when he went behind might have a way ew on him for the Masters.

10 hours ago, fringo said:

Incredible.

Yeah, I watched it last night.  Some put on the last to make the play-off.  Poulter had a three shot lead early on in his round.  Despite only liking Poulter for one week every two years, you've got to admire how he's played in the last two tournaments in trying to make Augusta. Very impressive. Surely a decent outside bet for Augusta on this sort of form......

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yeah, I watched it last night.  Some put on the last to make the play-off.  Poulter had a three shot lead early on in his round.  Despite only liking Poulter for one week every two years, you've got to admire how he's played in the last two tournaments in trying to make Augusta. Very impressive. Surely a decent outside bet for Augusta on this sort of form......

I didn't know that ! Must have been interesting watching the whole day's play.

I only got home in time to see the 18th then the play off hole and that was pretty good watching in itself.

Yeah, I've not always been a fan of his either apart from the Ryder Cup, but he has made good viewing at times like that.

12 minutes ago, fringo said:

I didn't know that ! Must have been interesting watching the whole day's play.

I only got home in time to see the 18th then the play off hole and that was pretty good watching in itself.

Yeah, I've not always been a fan of his either apart from the Ryder Cup, but he has made good viewing at times like that.

Was gripping viewing I have to say.

The thing is despite having a 4-shot lead whittled down to nothing then finding himself one behind with three to play, Poulter never put a foot wrong all day. His bogey on 9 came despite a very good tee shot which took a hell of a kick forward on the green.  This resulted in it settling at the back of the green very much in three-putt territory and he honestly would have done superbly well to get down in two.

Hossler then birdied four in a row to lead by one.

The only green Poulter missed in regulation all day was at 15 where he fluffed a chip and had to settle for par versus Hossler’s unlikely birdie, having played the hole rather poorly.

Poulter also saw a handful of 50/50 putts slide by shaving the hole, the kind of putts he sinks time and again when he’s on a streak.

16 and 17 saw solid par golf from both players and when Hossler played a superb draw from the bunker on 18 you felt Poulter had just run out of steam and his chance had gone.

Lesson to the wise: never write him off and as long as he’s still fighting he’s got a chance. When Hossler’s lengthy putt on 18 looked very closely at the hole before saying “nah” you just had that feeling that Poulter would sink his and sure enough, in it went.

Nailed a pearled of a drive down 18 again, but we all know he’s got bottle. Hossler again went in the bunker then blocked his second into the right hand bunker leaving a very, very tough bunker shot with Poulter in the middle of the green in two. Hossler caught too much of the ball trying to carry and spin it back and into the water it went leaving Poulter three for it.

Slight anti-climax at the end with Hossler handing it to Poulter in a demonstration of what can happen under intense pressure but overall it was terrific stuff to be watching.

Delighted to see Poulter make it to the Masters especially after the embarrassing cock up of telling him last week he was in in, only to tell him 10 mins before teeing off his next match that he wasn’t and now needed to win the next match to qualify.  Coupled with the “you’ve lost your card, oh no you haven’t” debacle last year he really did deserve to make it and to do so by winning his first ever strokeplay event in the States when nothing short of a win would do really does say a lot for the character of the man.

You'd want him on your team every time and I’m glad he’s European not American!

2 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Was gripping viewing I have to say.

The thing is despite having a 4-shot lead whittled down to nothing then finding himself one behind with three to play, Poulter never put a foot wrong all day. His bogey on 9 came despite a very good tee shot which took a hell of a kick forward on the green.  This resulted in it settling at the back of the green very much in three-putt territory and he honestly would have done superbly well to get down in two.

Hossler then birdied four in a row to lead by one.

The only green Poulter missed in regulation all day was at 15 where he fluffed a chip and had to settle for par versus Hossler’s unlikely birdie, having played the hole rather poorly.

Poulter also saw a handful of 50/50 putts slide by shaving the hole, the kind of putts he sinks time and again when he’s on a streak.

16 and 17 saw solid par golf from both players and when Hossler played a superb draw from the bunker on 18 you felt Poulter had just run out of steam and his chance had gone.

Lesson to the wise: never write him off and as long as he’s still fighting he’s got a chance. When Hossler’s lengthy putt on 18 looked very closely at the hole before saying “nah” you just had that feeling that Poulter would sink his and sure enough, in it went.

Nailed a pearled of a drive down 18 again, but we all know he’s got bottle. Hossler again went in the bunker then blocked his second into the right hand bunker leaving a very, very tough bunker shot with Poulter in the middle of the green in two. Hossler caught too much of the ball trying to carry and spin it back and into the water it went leaving Poulter three for it.

Slight anti-climax at the end with Hossler handing it to Poulter in a demonstration of what can happen under intense pressure but overall it was terrific stuff to be watching.

Delighted to see Poulter make it to the Masters especially after the embarrassing cock up of telling him last week he was in in, only to tell him 10 mins before teeing off his next match that he wasn’t and now needed to win the next match to qualify.  Coupled with the “you’ve lost your card, oh no you haven’t” debacle last year he really did deserve to make it and to do so by winning his first ever strokeplay event in the States when nothing short of a win would do really does say a lot for the character of the man.

You'd want him on your team every time and I’m glad he’s European not American!

I think that's what made last night all the more spectacular. Coming back from all these things and the incredible additional recent disappointments.

Sh*t or bust moment in his career.

4 minutes ago, fringo said:

I think that's what made last night all the more spectacular. Coming back from all these things and the incredible additional recent disappointments.

Sh*t or bust moment in his career.

Yup

I think most players wouldn’t have been able do overcome all that at such a watershed moment in their career. This could yet be the catalyst to him winning a major. He didn’t lack self belief before this, he must be brimming with confidence now.

On 25/03/2018 at 6:13 PM, Larky Masher said:

So a new M1 driver and a set of AP1 irons, I better f*cking win something this year!

M2 for me, slightly changed my stance over the winter with it and I hit 10 out of 14 fairways with it on the first medal day this Saturday last. Also shot 83 less 15 with a css of 73, so a nice cut of 1.5 has started my season very nicely. 

Winning two sweepers was also a nice wee £52 bonus :)

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

M2 for me, slightly changed my stance over the winter with it and I hit 10 out of 14 fairways with it on the first medal day this Saturday last. Also shot 83 less 15 with a css of 73, so a nice cut of 1.5 has started my season very nicely. 

Winning two sweepers was also a nice wee £52 bonus :)

First medal this Saturday but have been hitting ball well on the range, went for the M1 as I didn't want the distraction of all the adjustment options. Set it to standard loft and hit it, hopefully!

9 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

First medal this Saturday but have been hitting ball well on the range, went for the M1 as I didn't want the distraction of all the adjustment options. Set it to standard loft and hit it, hopefully!

The M1 adjusts, no?

Thats why I went with M2, used to mess with my sldr all the time and it helped nothing. 

20 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Yup

I think most players wouldn’t have been able do overcome all that at such a watershed moment in their career. This could yet be the catalyst to him winning a major. He didn’t lack self belief before this, he must be brimming with confidence now.

I agree - I can see him finishing in top 10 at the Masters and then making a push for the Ryder Cup Team.  Even if he misses automatic selection but still comes somewhere near the top 30 European players, i reckon he's a shoe in for a wild card.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:13 PM, Larky Masher said:

So a new M1 driver and a set of AP1 irons, I better f*cking win something this year!

First medal yesterday, I'd hurt my back through the week but still played front 9 was appalling and NR'd at the 7th but back 9 was much better though back is f*cking sore today.

103 courses in 2016..111 last year ..weather putting paid to any attempt at that figure this year. Only at 8 so far and a shocker on Saturday at Thirsk and Northallerton. Greens and tees were fine..nice layout ..but course was still wet and they hadnt cut fairways for ages so every hole was rough all the way. Doing my billy nomates golf holidays in June round Scotland and July round Wales. Going to Inverness...Wick..Dingwall..Kyle of Lochalsh ..oban and lastly Campbeltown ..play as many corses as poss on the way with 9 holers at Gairloch..Lochcarron..2 on Skye then ferry to Mallaig to play Traigh.

• 1 month later...

Links championship again this week. 4 over after 9 then proceeded to bogey the next 7 and finish with 2 pars for an 81-13, so enough to qualify for tomorrow’s last 16 ties. 

Someone else came in with a level par 71-10 :lol: I think he’s in for a big cut :rollsmile:

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Someone else came in with a level par 71-10 :lol: I think he’s in for a big cut :rollsmile:

Not before time by the sounds of it.:lol:

We are all capable of having that crazy round every now and again. just not often enough.

Connor Syme is putting in a good performance in Austria. After 3 rounds he is sitting 3rd equal alongside Jimenez and Hanson amongst others. Hopefully he can hold it together in the final round to come in with a good finish. He needs to start putting some points on the board if he wants to keep his card for next year.

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Connor Syme is putting in a good performance in Austria. After 3 rounds he is sitting 3rd equal alongside Jimenez and Hanson amongst others. Hopefully he can hold it together in the final round to come in with a good finish. He needs to start putting some points on the board if he wants to keep his card for next year.

He's still T2 with just 3 holes to play.

Just now, DOUBLE A said:

Nailed a monster putt at 18 for 2nd place on his own, could still be caught by Walters 

Just saw that. Great effort, especially after missing two decent birdie chances on 15 & 16 and good par save at 17.