Golfers Forum. - Page 54 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

6 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Outside of the Majors and Ryder Cup why is so much coverage given to golf by Sky? I wouldn’t think the viewing figures are great. Must be cheap in terms of rights?  

Rough guess but golfers are perceived to have money so maybe the money Sky can make by selling adverts etc makes it worth it?

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think I probably know more folk who regularly watch golf than watch football these days. 

I'd go along with that too but maybe a sign we're getting old! 

Thought this was interesting although it purely just shows 'main event' figures rather than the specific channels:

Top programmes report | Thinkbox

Just now, DOUBLE A said:

How was it ? Booked an overnight stay and 2 rounds in September 

Greens were a bit patchy in places but in good nick really and couldn't argue for £30. 

Good mix of holes with a few par 5's, long and short par 4's and a couple of par 3's.  Thought it was harder than the slope index suggested to be honest but that might be because I was a bit crap off the tee. 

9 was really good - drive down the hill with water either side and left with 150'ish to the green across the water or lay up 100 yards straight to keep it dry.  Next after that is 290 yard par four and invites you to be greedy as it's water in front of you for a good chunk of the way (don't make the mistake I did and play safe aiming for the other side as water there too). 

Nice little par 3 in the back nine too where you hit from the top of a hill with the pin only 140 yards away. 

Would play there again.   

36 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Greens were a bit patchy in places but in good nick really and couldn't argue for £30. 

Good mix of holes with a few par 5's, long and short par 4's and a couple of par 3's.  Thought it was harder than the slope index suggested to be honest but that might be because I was a bit crap off the tee. 

9 was really good - drive down the hill with water either side and left with 150'ish to the green across the water or lay up 100 yards straight to keep it dry.  Next after that is 290 yard par four and invites you to be greedy as it's water in front of you for a good chunk of the way (don't make the mistake I did and play safe aiming for the other side as water there too). 

Nice little par 3 in the back nine too where you hit from the top of a hill with the pin only 140 yards away. 

Would play there again.   

Thanks for that, not sure I’m liking the sound of water on both sides !!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Off to the Torrance tomorrow, on an invite from a wholesaler, fine way to spend a Friday instead of working and then it’s Links Chanpionship time again on Saturday, 18 holes qualifying, with match play starting Sunday. 

It’s my first crack at the scratch/low handicap side of things, so need to see if I can progress on my constant 1/4 final failures 🙈

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Off to the Torrance tomorrow, on an invite from a wholesaler, fine way to spend a Friday instead of working and then it’s Links Chanpionship time again on Saturday, 18 holes qualifying, with match play starting Sunday. 

It’s my first crack at the scratch/low handicap side of things, so need to see if I can progress on my constant 1/4 final failures 🙈

That might be your last chance to play the Torrance. They are supposed to be starting to rip it up at the end of August. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Forgot to mention that the Kittocks is the better of the two courses IMO.

I’ve never golfed down that way, so any will do me, even more so if it’s about to be ripped up, and it’s free 😉

51 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’ve never golfed down that way, so any will do me, even more so if it’s about to be ripped up, and it’s free 😉

Sounds like a good deal. 😂 

I think it's normally about £80 a round. Not hugely expensive, but overpriced IMO.

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds like a good deal. 😂 

I think it's normally about £80 a round. Not hugely expensive, but overpriced IMO.

I looked yesterday actually, £120 for this time of year. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Sorry for Rory but you can't complain about him losing to a 4th round 64 👏

5 birdies to start the back 9 of a final day is legendary stuff, simply unbelievable. 

So much to remember these last 4 days, Lawrie starting it all off, Tigers emotional 18th hole, Lowry with back to back chip in eagles, a final day that went all the way, LIV golfers threatening to upset the apple cart, young amateurs with great scoring battling for the silver medal and the first mullet to win since The Open since 1995. 

80DB02E9-254D-4505-98F1-2ADB1764DC8C.png