Golfers Forum. - Page 52 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

3 minutes ago, fringo said:

Sums it up 

Golf Gods - I Hate Golf White SnapBack

:lol:

I found a ball marker one day and it had the bold proclamation on it of - "ONE PUTT". I thought "That's the haw maws, I'm going to use that from now on". It lasted about a round and a half before it got thrown into the bushes. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’m loving golf just now, started the season around 11/12, down to 7.8 now with new irons on the horizon. 

How times change 😆

That’s great DD! Pleased for you, but what do you think helped your improvement other than persistence ? Anything specific or just a gradual incline borne of practice?

45 minutes ago, slasher said:

That’s great DD! Pleased for you, but what do you think helped your improvement other than persistence ? Anything specific or just a gradual incline borne of practice?

Not a clue to be honest, everything has just clicked the last few weeks. Started with a 4 over 75 and just built from there. 

I don’t practice at all, just play once a week, but believing I can do it does help, I’ve known I’m capable for a long time, but let my head go down after 1 bad shot, I try and recover it now. 

The pals I play with help a lot too, ranging from mid handicap to a couple in particular who are off + handicaps. 

I’ll probably drop a bit soon enough, but enjoying it while I can. 

Low sun glare is a bugger. I genuinely thought I had lost a ball on the 8th today so hit another off the the tee only to find I had spanked my original right down the middle 🙈

My best 9 hole score at Hamilton today, a 44, so pretty pleased with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, that's the Ryder Cup team picked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/58538585

I find it hard to believe that Harrington actually said this :

"I'm delighted for Bernd Wiesberger. He's a great player and anybody who makes their way into the team fully deserves it, but ultimately it was a spot gone that could have gone to a JR or an Alex Noren."

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So, that's the Ryder Cup team picked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/58538585

I find it hard to believe that Harrington actually said this :

"I'm delighted for Bernd Wiesberger. He's a great player and anybody who makes their way into the team fully deserves it, but ultimately it was a spot gone that could have gone to a JR or an Alex Noren."

Harrington is an idiot, he says he wants a team of ball strikers, then picks Poulter. 

98FE8FE5-3580-4E76-A835-9689B6B713E0.jpeg

51 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Harrington is an idiot, he says he wants a team of ball strikers, then picks Poulter. 

98FE8FE5-3580-4E76-A835-9689B6B713E0.jpeg

I don't even know what ball striking rankings means. 🤣

Matchplay so often comes down to putting. Just pick the best putters. If it was up to me there would be no captain's picks. Set out the qualifying criteria at the start and everybody knows what they have to do.

58 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't even know what ball striking rankings means. 🤣

Matchplay so often comes down to putting. Just pick the best putters. If it was up to me there would be no captain's picks. Set out the qualifying criteria at the start and everybody knows what they have to do.

Easier to explain with a copy & paste

On your other point, it seems that it’s kinda set out like CL football, pretty much a closed shop for the top boys and if they fail to make it through the points, they’ll be picked anyway  

To produce its Ball Striking rankings, the PGA Tour combines a golfer's ranking in two other statistical categories, Total Driving and Greens in Regulation. Add a golfer's ranking in Total Driving and his ranking in GIR and you get his Ball Striking "points." But Total Driving itself is a combination of two other statistical categories, Driving Distance and Driving Accuracy. So it's actually a 3-step process to arrive at a PGA Tour golfer's Ball Striking standing.

Did you follow all that? Not to worry. Here's an example of adding it all up.

• First, determine a golfer's Total Driving ranking. Let's say Golfer X is No. 53 in Driving Distance and No. 17 in Driving Accuracy. Fifty-three plus 17 is 70. That's 70 "points" for Total Driving. Where does that rank compared to other PGA Tour golfers? Fewer points are better, more points are worse. 
  • Let's say Golfer X's 70 points is good enough to rank him No. 14 in Total Driving. And he's No. 17 in Greens in Regulation (GIR). Now, Step 2: Combine his Total Driving ranking with his GIR ranking: 14 + 17 equals 31 Ball Striking "points."
  • Finally, compare Golfer X's 31 "points" to all other golfers' Ball Striking points. Where does he fall on the list? If 31 points is the fewest, then Golfer X is No. 1 in Ball Striking on the PGA Tour.

So: Determine Total Driving rankings; combine Total Driving and GIR rankings; compare that result to other golfers to get Ball Striking ranking.

Not long back from Portugal now where I'm glad to report I played very well, played the salgados course and a couple of others, Morgado i think, I was playing off 23 but the other guys said I was playing like a 15er, won a couple of stablefords, so the golf lessons for sure helped.. Fore!!!!

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Shaping up to be the biggest Ryder Cup blowout since Faldo was in charge.

Edit...actually now I check there's been a couple of bigger thumpings since then.

Ach, just need to win the morning session 3-1 and it's looking OK again. Very fine margins at this level.

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Ach, just need to win the morning session 3-1 and it's looking OK again. Very fine margins at this level.

Instead another 3-1 loss.

Need a minimum of 10-6 going into tomorrow to avoid it being an absolute formality. 

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Instead another 3-1 loss.

Need a minimum of 10-6 going into tomorrow to avoid it being an absolute formality. 

Looks like USA v Spain so far. 

Aye, need to win the fourballs at least 3-1. 4-0 would be good but  4-0 to USA looks more likely.

43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's never over until it's over. 2.5 to 1.5 wouldn't be a disaster.

Glad the Europeans getting humped. A few of them very unlikeable. Let’s pick Poulter because… erm cos he’s played in it before and shouts a lot like an effin eejit who’s never played golf before. Ryder Cup brings the worst out of both teams but I find the European fans a bit more annoying. (In previous years. I don’t watch it now).

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's never over until it's over. 2.5 to 1.5 wouldn't be a disaster.

Hmmm... I think I am going to stick with total gubbing. 

10 hours ago, duncan II said:

Glad the Europeans getting humped. A few of them very unlikeable. Let’s pick Poulter because… erm cos he’s played in it before and shouts a lot like an effin eejit who’s never played golf before. Ryder Cup brings the worst out of both teams but I find the European fans a bit more annoying. (In previous years. I don’t watch it now).

Got to disagree on the fans, the US fans are noticeably more horrendous. 

Don't really watch it myself as I don't like it either. I have not watched since that one a good while ago when the US players and wives (was it) ran across the putting line of the Europeans on the 18th to early celebrate their win. That was the one where Tom "Calls himself a man of God" Cunto Lehmen (I think it was) kept riling up the crowd to jeer and heckle the Europeans on the course... That caused them to collapse a bit on the last day IIRC. That was the start of the nasty shit and it has only got worse since. Listening to the chants of U-S-A all the time is also particularly nauseating. Fuck no.

edit: Do the US team's wives still all look like they just walked off the set of Dynasty? Those uniforms...

Edited by thplinth

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Hmmm... I think I am going to stick with total gubbing. 

Got to disagree on the fans, the US fans are noticeably more horrendous. 

Don't really watch it myself as I don't like it either. I have not watched since that one a good while ago when the US players and wives (was it) ran across the putting line of the Europeans on the 18th to early celebrate their win. That was the one where Tom "Calls himself a man of God" Cunto Lehmen (I think it was) kept riling up the crowd to jeer and heckle the Europeans on the course... That caused them to collapse a bit on the last day IIRC. That was the start of the nasty shit and it has only got worse since. Listening to the chants of U-S-A all the time is also particularly nauseating. Fuck no.

edit: Do the US team's wives still all look like they just walked off the set of Dynasty? Those uniforms...

You’re right, of course. The American fans have historically been worse, and may still be. Maybe the European behaviour annoys me more cos I’m European and these idiots shouting ole ole ole are meant to represent me. Don’t have Sky anyway but doubt I’d watch it even if I did. Anyway, enjoy!

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

You’re right, of course. The American fans have historically been worse, and may still be. Maybe the European behaviour annoys me more cos I’m European and these idiots shouting ole ole ole are meant to represent me. Don’t have Sky anyway but doubt I’d watch it even if I did. Anyway, enjoy!

To be fair, Spain have got 65% of our points so far. 😂

Which is pretty decent considering there are only two of them in the team.

Edited by Orraloon