Golfers Forum. - Page 51 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

On 7/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, slasher said:

Had an absolute shocker off the tee this morning. Hooked every drive apart from a 5 wood at the par 3.

Worst round yet by far 🙈

These days happen, but you’ll learn from it, if you’re using your driver and struggling with it, come down to a 3/5 wood, distance isn’t everything in golf. 

My course is a links and it’s been rock solid the last couple of weeks, so a 3 hybrid off the tee and up the middle can get just as much distance as a driver that’s slightly caught up in the rough. 

Speaking about rough, I had to smash out of long stuff on Saturday, which left this as a result, time to go shopping I’m thinking 😂😂

C7FCBF3C-CDB1-4A37-88C0-BE42C98F6C4A.jpeg

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

These days happen, but you’ll learn from it, if you’re using your driver and struggling with it, come down to a 3/5 wood, distance isn’t everything in golf. 

My course is a links and it’s been rock solid the last couple of weeks, so a 3 hybrid off the tee and up the middle can get just as much distance as a driver that’s slightly caught up in the rough. 

Speaking about rough, I had to smash out of long stuff on Saturday, which left this as a result, time to go shopping I’m thinking 😂😂

C7FCBF3C-CDB1-4A37-88C0-BE42C98F6C4A.jpeg

Aye that's a good shout, I'll give it a go on Sunday 👍

The ground is pretty hard just now so there's a fair bit of carry when I keep the feckin thing on the fairway!

That's a good tip using the old 3/5 off the tee, got another round at Pollok tomorrow then off to Trump turnberry on Monday to play one of the courses there, (Special Invite), I will absolutely love it and give not one feck how I play, Got new mizunos which were going well up the range,, Btw, Do any of you know how to change the toptracer app from meters to yards?

Hit some decent 5W off the tee today. I took the driver out near the end which was a mistake. Tried a couple of 3W hybrids as well which I didn't hit at all. Everything else was pretty good and I scored my best so far. If I can just get a bit of consistency off the tee I might be ready to branch out a bit and try some different courses. Gonnae give Torrance Park up the road from me a go when I'm on holiday next week. 👍

Pollok on Sunday was my worst ever round, couldn't hit a thing, then played the nine hole course at Turnberry today and hit par on 5 of the holes!!, lost ball on one and a couple of fives,, go figure.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, dj mick said:

Pollok on Sunday was my worst ever round, couldn't hit a thing, then played the nine hole course at Turnberry today and hit par on 5 of the holes!!, lost ball on one and a couple of fives,, go figure.

Welcome to golf, the worlds most frustrating game 😂😂

1 hour ago, DOUBLE A said:

Grant Forrest wins his first European tour competition, birdies last two holes to win by 1 👍

Shows great fight after dropping a shot at the 16th. He could easily have lost his concentration at that point. Well done to him. I think that means he keeps his tour card for the next two years. 

Three young Scots in the top five. Hopefully that win will give him the confidence to propel him the next level. 

Went back to the driver today after some tinkering on the range. I've widened my stance and used a higher tee and that's helped a bit. Hit 10/18 straight down the middle! 

I wasn't going to keep a score so as to take the pressure off but I was going along quite nicely so changed my mind. I ended up carding a 93 on a par 72 which I was delighted with, especially as it could easily have been 5 or 6 shots better by eliminating some carelessness. I hit a great 6 iron to about 3 inches on one approach then rolled in the birdie. 😁

Anyone got a good android app that helps calculate distance? I underclubbed at least 3 approach shots which is so frustrating when you hit a good yin! 

44 minutes ago, slasher said:

Went back to the driver today after some tinkering on the range. I've widened my stance and used a higher tee and that's helped a bit. Hit 10/18 straight down the middle! 

I wasn't going to keep a score so as to take the pressure off but I was going along quite nicely so changed my mind. I ended up carding a 93 on a par 72 which I was delighted with, especially as it could easily have been 5 or 6 shots better by eliminating some carelessness. I hit a great 6 iron to about 3 inches on one approach then rolled in the birdie. 😁

Anyone got a good android app that helps calculate distance? I underclubbed at least 3 approach shots which is so frustrating when you hit a good yin! 

Motocaddy is excellent and free. Just don't start spending more time looking at your phone than playing shots. I hate slow play. ;)

https://www.motocaddy.com/uk/motocaddy-gps-mobile-app

Edited by Orraloon

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Motocaddy is excellent and free. Just don't start spending more time looking at your phone than playing shots. I hate slow play. ;)

https://www.motocaddy.com/uk/motocaddy-gps-mobile-app

Cheers I'll get that downloaded 👍 Not much chance of slow play when I'm about, if anything I need to take my time a bit more. 

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

Cheers I'll get that downloaded 👍 Not much chance of slow play when I'm about, if anything I need to take my time a bit more. 

Just be aware that it fairly uses up the battery on your phone. I only use it on new courses that I don't know, and my phone needs charged right after the round. Don't need it on courses that I'm familiar with. If you are just using it as a distance device it might use up less battery, not sure though?

Just spent the a long weekend at the Ashbury golf hotel near Oakhampton in Devon. Although it rained for most of the time there really enjoyed the golf course's that are available to play 6 in total. The rest of the complex was ok with loads to do after or before your golf.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

How do you mean calculate distance?

As in how far you’re hitting it, or how far to go?

If it’s the latter, you can buy cheap enough gps devices, no need to spend hundreds on them. 

If it’s the former, try and find a driving range that has a track man, you can hook it up to your phone and learn yardages there. 

Ive always found that the yardage apps are often a good few yards out when trying them. 

But if that’s the route you want to go, if you’re a member of a club, the Scottish golf app has a caddie there that supports gps, you could try that. 

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

How do you mean calculate distance?

As in how far you’re hitting it, or how far to go?

If it’s the latter, you can buy cheap enough gps devices, no need to spend hundreds on them. 

If it’s the former, try and find a driving range that has a track man, you can hook it up to your phone and learn yardages there. 

Ive always found that the yardage apps are often a good few yards out when trying them. 

But if that’s the route you want to go, if you’re a member of a club, the Scottish golf app has a caddie there that supports gps, you could try that. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant in terms of how far to go. I caught a couple of mid irons beautifully but came up 20 yards or so short so my thinking was I'm misjudging the distance to the greens and pulling the wrong clubs out the bag at times. 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant in terms of how far to go. I caught a couple of mid irons beautifully but came up 20 yards or so short so my thinking was I'm misjudging the distance to the greens and pulling the wrong clubs out the bag at times. 

No problem. As I say, a cheap gps does exactly the same thing as one costing hundreds amd if you can find a track man range, that gives a massive help in knowing your yardages. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, DOUBLE A said:

Grant Forrest wins his first European tour competition, birdies last two holes to win by 1 👍

Calum Hill follows it up with his first European Tour victory 👍

On 6/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, slasher said:

Just started playing again after over 20 years. So,my question is does the driving range really help? I've never found it helpful in the past and I don't feel I have a specific thing  I'm doing wrong every time... just erratic off the tee at times. 

Would I be better paying for a few lessons maybe? Anyway any thoughts appreciated. I'm enjoying getting back into it but want to find my level before I go out with the lads and start playing courses I don't know 

Something similar, just did an 18hole Par3 after threatening to take it up for about 30 years but never really got going. Surprised myself with 4 pars and 7 bogies so might be worth going for it after all. Was also thinking about taking half a dozen lessons to get a better swing. There's loads of courses nearby so looking forward to  getting more rounds in.

21 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Something similar, just did an 18hole Par3 after threatening to take it up for about 30 years but never really got going. Surprised myself with 4 pars and 7 bogies so might be worth going for it after all. Was also thinking about taking half a dozen lessons to get a better swing. There's loads of courses nearby so looking forward to  getting more rounds in.

Good luck m8! I found the range a wee bit of help but wouldn't overdo it. I'd leave the lessons for now unless you feel there is a need for something specific. 

PS good first round back! 

Edited by slasher

On 8/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, slasher said:

Good luck m8! I found the range a wee bit of help but wouldn't overdo it. I'd leave the lessons for now unless you feel there is a need for something specific. 

PS good first round back! 

Can't use woods to save myself and only have a 3/4 swing but will probalby play a few more rounds first and see how it goes.

Seriously thinking of chucking it.  Started the year with a low 90 on the Championship course and broke 90 on the Burnside course a couple of times which is Slope index about 128.  Now my driving is shot to shit, my irons hook unless I punch everything and most annoying of all my putting is now mint!  I'm scrambling to beat 100 now even on the diddy course even 1 and 2 putting almost everything.  

35 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Seriously thinking of chucking it.  Started the year with a low 90 on the Championship course and broke 90 on the Burnside course a couple of times which is Slope index about 128.  Now my driving is shot to shit, my irons hook unless I punch everything and most annoying of all my putting is now mint!  I'm scrambling to beat 100 now even on the diddy course even 1 and 2 putting almost everything.  

It's a frustrating game right enough. I threaten to pack it in a few times every year but there is always the next game to look forward to. Bit like going to watch Scotland I suppose? One good thing about a really bad round is that there is a good chance that you will play better next time. Got to look on the positive side. :lol:

It gets really annoying when you get 5 or 6 bad rounds in a row and it's a mixture of different things every time. For me that's time to get my head sorted out and I will just not play for a couple of weeks then hope that the mental side is better when I go back. If it's the same problem all the time, like hooking your irons, then sometimes even the guys you are playing with can spot what you are doing wrong and suggest things to sort it out. If not, go for a lesson. I've never had a lesson myself, but from what I hear, they are most useful when you have a specific problem that you want sorted. Rather than going along to the pro and saying "I'm playing shit, can you make me into a better player please."