Golfers Forum. - Page 49 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

On 11/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, fringo said:

I like having some long shot bets but not sure about that one.

Funnily enough that's why the MacIntyre question arose. I put a tiny bet on him for Masters at start of year so bet365 had him listed ?

Just as well you didn't put your money on Sandy. +4 after 9 holes.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

was watching the European tour this morning and the commentry team mentioned that the top french golfer in the world (victor Perez) lives in .....Dundee..... whats that all about...is he a member at Caird Park ?

Think I’ve heard before that his girlfriend is at University in Dundee so he’s based there. He won the Dunhill Links in 2019 at St Andrew’s and they said he didn’t have far to go home to celebrate.

1 hour ago, DOUBLE A said:

Think I’ve heard before that his girlfriend is at University in Dundee so he’s based there. He won the Dunhill Links in 2019 at St Andrew’s and they said he didn’t have far to go home to celebrate.

Aye, he lives in Dundee. His girlfriend is training to be a dentist. He does a lot of practise on the courses around Dundee and St Andrews. Before COVID came along he practised a lot with Connor Syme who is based at Drumoig, which is just south of Dundee. I play most of my golf in Angus and Fife and I've bumped into them both a few times. You wouldn't know they were professional golfers, they just behave like ordinary lads. Until you see them hit a golf ball, that is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched some of the Kenya Open at the weekend. Two Scots finished in the top 10. Not the strongest of fields right enough but still pretty decent. 

We currently have 6 Scots in the top 60 of the European tour. It's still early in the season but it's a good start.

Connor Syme's 3rd place catapulted him up the rankings to 57, which is pretty good considering he has only played in three of the six tournaments so far this year. The next tournament starts tomorrow at the same course as they have just played this weekend. Connor and Callum Hill will be hoping to get into the top ten again this week. Hope they can keep up their good form.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Rickie Fowler some collapse in form. He was always up there, don't think he's qualified for this year's Masters. 

Aye, he's hardly been out of the top 50 for the best part of a decade but dropped to 95th this year. He has missed a few cuts this year and hasn't picked up many ranking points. Still, being in the top 100 golfers in the world isn't too shabby.

Played my first round in a while at the weekend and was absolutely shitting it on the first tee shot.  Tried to hit it way too hard but caught enough of the top of it that it fizzed and although it never got more than a couple of inches off the ground it was flying straight.  Went to bend down to pick my tee up thinking it would trundle on ok as it was a Links course and downhill but then I heard a ‘donk’ and on looking up again realised I’d hit the stake for the junior tee so now the ball was fizzing back towards me coming to a standstill about 10-20 yards straight in front of my feet – couldn’t do it again if I tried and unfortunately was arguably my best drive of the day.  Bastarding game!!    

A few years back I was playing at Anstruther. The course is near enough in the middle of the North Sea. We were teeing off at the 5th hole called  "The Rockies" which was named as "The hardest par 3 in the UK" by Golf Monthly. It really is a tough tee shot especially playing into a howling gale. We were playing off the medal tees and the first guy teed up. I thought to myself "He's teed that awfy close to that tee marker, he could easily hit the tee marker with his driver on the way through". The tee markers were just one inch square bits of wood about a foot high, chapped into the ground. Well, he managed to miss the white tee marker with his driver but his ball smacked into the yellow tee marker about ten yards in front and shot off over the cliff never to be seen again. The other two of us couldn't really enjoy the amusement as much as we would have wanted to, as we still had to tee off and were nervous enough before watching his tee shot. He hadn't helped us one bit.

We both hit decent shots, nowhere near the green but we were in play which was a huge relief. Wullie teed up again. This time saying "I'd better move to the middle of the tee this time. I couldn't do that again if I tried but better not take any chances." He didn't do that again, but he did hit an identical daisy cutter. This time it travelled about 30 yards before smacking into the red tee marker. He got more luck with this one though as it went the other direction shooting off across the 4th fairway and halfway across the 3rd. His 4th shot was very good hit but a wee bit off line and it disappeared into a huge bank of gorse. By the time he hooked his 6th shot into the sea we were almost pissing ourselves. It was just one of those situations that got funnier with every shot. He's a decent golfer too. Think he was off about 10 at the time.

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

A few years back I was playing at Anstruther. The course is near enough in the middle of the North Sea. We were teeing off at the 5th hole called  "The Rockies" which was named as "The hardest par 3 in the UK" by Golf Monthly. It really is a tough tee shot especially playing into a howling gale. We were playing off the medal tees and the first guy teed up. I thought to myself "He's teed that awfy close to that tee marker, he could easily hit the tee marker with his driver on the way through". The tee markers were just one inch square bits of wood about a foot high, chapped into the ground. Well, he managed to miss the white tee marker with his driver but his ball smacked into the yellow tee marker about ten yards in front and shot off over the cliff never to be seen again. The other two of us couldn't really enjoy the amusement as much as we would have wanted to, as we still had to tee off and were nervous enough before watching his tee shot. He hadn't helped us one bit.

We both hit decent shots, nowhere near the green but we were in play which was a huge relief. Wullie teed up again. This time saying "I'd better move to the middle of the tee this time. I couldn't do that again if I tried but better not take any chances." He didn't do that again, but he did hit an identical daisy cutter. This time it travelled about 30 yards before smacking into the red tee marker. He got more luck with this one though as it went the other direction shooting off across the 4th fairway and halfway across the 3rd. His 4th shot was very good hit but a wee bit off line and it disappeared into a huge bank of gorse. By the time he hooked his 6th shot into the sea we were almost pissing ourselves. It was just one of those situations that got funnier with every shot. He's a decent golfer too. Think he was off about 10 at the time.

On the other hand If the golfing gods are smiling on you it’s absolutely wonderful. 

Few years back I was in a charity match play thing that ran through the season and I was off 25 so pretty shit but in the first round the handicap was restricted to 20.  Got drawn vs a guy off 6 so basically just expected an absolute humping. 

First couple of holes scrambled to stay level and then the first par 3 he lands 6 feet from the hole and was well smug whilst I’m 70 yards back in some pretty thick crap.  Just tried to dig it out as much as possible but somehow managed to blade it and it fizzed like a missile only stopping when it smashed the flag and dropped a foot closer to the pin than he was.  I conceded his as could see he was getting pissed off but he made me putt mine because only then remembered it was Stroke Index 2 so ended up with nett 1. 

From there he lost his head a bit because I drove straight in a bunker but it hopped out and then next hole drove it in the trees only for it to ricocheted back out onto the fairway.   I’m 3 up by the 9th and can see he’s absolutely raging – I drive and it’s sliced going straight into the lake down the right.  Turn around to get another ball but hear a funny noise and hear the bloke go ‘Oh just fuck right off!’ 

Somehow it had hit the island in the middle of the lake and must have hit something that diverted it back basically at a 90 degree angle not only causing it to carrying the remaining water but running on to the middle of the fairway with not much more than 100 yards from the green.  Before I could acknowledge how fluky it was a sulking hand shake was proffered and he stomped off from the furthest point on the course back to his car.       

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

On the other hand If the golfing gods are smiling on you it’s absolutely wonderful. 

Few years back I was in a charity match play thing that ran through the season and I was off 25 so pretty shit but in the first round the handicap was restricted to 20.  Got drawn vs a guy off 6 so basically just expected an absolute humping. 

First couple of holes scrambled to stay level and then the first par 3 he lands 6 feet from the hole and was well smug whilst I’m 70 yards back in some pretty thick crap.  Just tried to dig it out as much as possible but somehow managed to blade it and it fizzed like a missile only stopping when it smashed the flag and dropped a foot closer to the pin than he was.  I conceded his as could see he was getting pissed off but he made me putt mine because only then remembered it was Stroke Index 2 so ended up with nett 1. 

From there he lost his head a bit because I drove straight in a bunker but it hopped out and then next hole drove it in the trees only for it to ricocheted back out onto the fairway.   I’m 3 up by the 9th and can see he’s absolutely raging – I drive and it’s sliced going straight into the lake down the right.  Turn around to get another ball but hear a funny noise and hear the bloke go ‘Oh just fuck right off!’ 

Somehow it had hit the island in the middle of the lake and must have hit something that diverted it back basically at a 90 degree angle not only causing it to carrying the remaining water but running on to the middle of the fairway with not much more than 100 yards from the green.  Before I could acknowledge how fluky it was a sulking hand shake was proffered and he stomped off from the furthest point on the course back to his car.       

:lol:

I've never got that lucky on a golf course. Every hole I have ever won has been down to skill, concentration and determination. Some of my mates might disagree? :lol:

42 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Golf must be only sport better without the crowds. No whooping and Get in the Hole pish 

I've also enjoyed watching it more without the grandstands so you get a good view of the golf courses.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

😂😂

• 1 month later...

How’s the golf going and everyone getting on with the WHS?

I started at 9.6, went as high as 10.9 and now back to 10.4 after saturdays effort. 

Ours is all messed up at the moment as for some bizarre reason, Kingsbarns features heavily on it and we’ve also played most of the last year away from our home course, due to a monumental fuck up that killed the greens for almost 12 months. 

Hooefully it’ll even itself out in time for next season. 

Links championship time again a week on Saturday, that’s when the serious stuff starts. 

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

How’s the golf going and everyone getting on with the WHS?

I started at 9.6, went as high as 10.9 and now back to 10.4 after saturdays effort. 

Ours is all messed up at the moment as for some bizarre reason, Kingsbarns features heavily on it and we’ve also played most of the last year away from our home course, due to a monumental fuck up that killed the greens for almost 12 months. 

Hooefully it’ll even itself out in time for next season. 

Links championship time again a week on Saturday, that’s when the serious stuff starts. 

Aye, it's a bit weird to start with but I'm starting to get used to it. I think we are going to see much bigger and quicker shifts in handicaps with the new system. I've had 6 handicap counting rounds so far. Went up 3 times when 3 good "yellow" rounds from last year dropped off - 0.6 and 0.4 twice. Cut 3 times 0.8, 0.2 and 0.4. So back to where I started.

I've worked out that if your 20th score, which is about to drop off, is a "white" one, you get a free hit as you can't go up that day no matter how badly you score. If your 20th score is a "yellow" one then that is what you need to beat to avoid going up. 

If you play a lot of different courses it takes a bit of getting used to having a different handicap at each one.

I've only started getting into golf the last 4-5 years and never had an official handicap (it would be 20+ if I did).

A few of my friends who I play with are regular handicappers but don't seem to bothered on new rules.

It seems overly complicated and micromanaged to me.