Golfers Forum. - Page 47 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

My wee cousin is playing in the British Am this week at West Lancashire GC.

Was originally meant to be at Barassie which is a shame as she plays out of Royal Troon, is from Troon and there would be a hell of a lot of us down there cheering her on.

Sadly only her dad away down with her now and even he isn't even allowed in to watch or caddy.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

47 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Great stuff. It's good to see the youngsters coming through. It says she plays out of Aboyne? She is currently joint leader. Only played 3 holes though.

Edit Just realised that you might be talking about the other one.

Edited by Orraloon

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Great stuff. It's good to see the youngsters coming through. It says she plays out of Aboyne? She is currently joint leader. Only played 3 holes though.

Edit Just realised that you might be talking about the other one.

Plays out Royal Troon mate.

Spoke too soon, she's had a mare last 3 holes.  Was level par after 6 holes, now +5 after 9!

Weather down there is wild right enough!

Best score in club house (or going down the 18th) is +2 so hopefully it's just been a blip.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 8/24/2020 at 12:12 AM, DOUBLE A said:

Did you enjoy Machrihanish and the Dunes ?

Machrihanish I thought was really tough .have to be accurate off the tee but a very good course but for me I enjoyed the Dunes more. Thought it was exceptional.played in 45mph plus winds but that made it even more fun. The greens are amazing and surprisingly I didnt realise views would be bettet on the Dunes. On the main Macrihanish coursr apart from the opening and closing 2 holes..you seem to just focus on each hole as you cant see other holes.

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Played Darley, Machrie, Shiskine, Machrihaish Dukes and Links.

What did you think of the Links - where did you go on the first?

Dukes was decent but as a links golfer I preferred the links.

Skiskine is an absolute gem of a course.

I preferred the Dunes as I found it more enjoyable. The Links .I had to really concentrate off every tee..at the first I just played safe taking a shorter route over the sand. Ended up with a 6 though .it was right into a strong wind .made it seem about 600 yards.

Shiskine was a golfing experience in the evening sunshine. I cant think of any better location.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Played a hell of a lot this summer, probably most I've played since I was a junior/youth member.

Working from home has really helped, as did pubs being shut/football being a no go.

Played 3 rounds there at the weekend at Barassie and West Kilbride and both in great nick. WK is where I grew up playing and it's never looked better.

Be hard to get a better view from a golf course in Scotland too.

I was staying in Largs last Friday after playing in Dunoon. Thought about West Kilbride on the Saturday twilight rate but ended up staying in Newton Stewart and played Portpatrick which was excellent as well. As I play on my own most of the time I leave the more expensive ones till winter rates and anything over 100 quid will have to wait till I retire and play with one of my pals.

16 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Machrihanish I thought was really tough .have to be accurate off the tee but a very good course but for me I enjoyed the Dunes more. Thought it was exceptional.played in 45mph plus winds but that made it even more fun. The greens are amazing and surprisingly I didnt realise views would be bettet on the Dunes. On the main Macrihanish coursr apart from the opening and closing 2 holes..you seem to just focus on each hole as you cant see other holes.

Glad you enjoyed both, I’ve been a member at Machrihanish for years and am biased but love it, the Dunes is a real test of golf and playing it later today. Not sure if you managed to play Dunaverty as well as it’s a cracking wee course 

12 hours ago, irnbruman said:

I was staying in Largs last Friday after playing in Dunoon. Thought about West Kilbride on the Saturday twilight rate but ended up staying in Newton Stewart and played Portpatrick which was excellent as well. As I play on my own most of the time I leave the more expensive ones till winter rates and anything over 100 quid will have to wait till I retire and play with one of my pals.

Grew up playing WK and was a member there for over a decade, superb course and location but if the wind blows it can be a hell of a test!

Tuesday 25 August 2020

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The first round of stroke play qualifying at The Amateur Championship and The Women’s Amateur Championship has been abandoned. 

The start of play was delayed by two hours this morning due to inclement weather.  Following a second suspension of play this afternoon at both courses, Royal Birkdale for the men and West Lancashire for the women, the decision was made to cancel the first round and all scores from today. 

A cut in both championships will now be made after one round of stroke play qualifying to be played tomorrow (Wednesday 26 August). The top 64 players and ties will go through to the match play stage of The Amateur Championship. The top 64 players will progress to match play at The Women’s Amateur Championship. 

Good luck for Hazel as she's now -1!

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tuesday 25 August 2020

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The first round of stroke play qualifying at The Amateur Championship and The Women’s Amateur Championship has been abandoned. 

The start of play was delayed by two hours this morning due to inclement weather.  Following a second suspension of play this afternoon at both courses, Royal Birkdale for the men and West Lancashire for the women, the decision was made to cancel the first round and all scores from today. 

A cut in both championships will now be made after one round of stroke play qualifying to be played tomorrow (Wednesday 26 August). The top 64 players and ties will go through to the match play stage of The Amateur Championship. The top 64 players will progress to match play at The Women’s Amateur Championship. 

Good luck for Hazel as she's now -1!

FFS man. You've done it again.

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

She's still -1 after 14?

:lol:

She dropped a shot at the 8th, just after you posted. Then she birdied the 11th. Then you posted "She's still -1 after 14?". What happened next? She dropped another shot at the 15th and then another at the 18th. Perfect timing. Are you sure you're not a commentator? ;)

Still a lot better than yesterday and only 2 shots off the lead. :ok:

On 8/25/2020 at 11:25 PM, DOUBLE A said:

Glad you enjoyed both, I’ve been a member at Machrihanish for years and am biased but love it, the Dunes is a real test of golf and playing it later today. Not sure if you managed to play Dunaverty as well as it’s a cracking wee course 

Played Dunaverty a couple of years ago. Loved it. View from 11th tee stunning.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Largs is a decent track too, greens are lightening quick.

If I retire back to Scotland then Id want to stay in Largs. Played Routenburn and Largs a couple of years ago and enjoyed thrm both for different reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 1:06 PM, Bristol Killie said:

Just spent a few days hacking up some courses in Cornwall. Would highly recommend it to anyone. Trevose, St.Enodoc (stunning course), Bowood Park and Newquay. 

I went for a week in Cornwall in January. Couldnt fit in Enodoc and Trevose but one course ended up my all time favourite.Perranporth near Newquay. St Mellion is awesome as well. Another very good one with stunning scenery is Mullion down near Lands End. Going to do another week down there as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

New WHS kicks in today and I’ve dropped from 11.0 to 9.6. 

What’s happening with everyone else?

Your course handicap will go up though, because your slope rating will be higher than 113. 

I haven't got mine yet as the app doesn't work on my phone and the handicap index isn't up on the website yet.