Golfers Forum. - Page 43 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

• 2 months later...

Have to highlight young Bob McIntyre's first full season on tour. Absolutely exceptional - if he was English Sky Sports would be shooting a load over him. 

€1.3million in prize money, 11th on the Race to Dubai money list, top ten in the open, three 2nd places. Best debut season by a Scottish golfer in a very long time.

2 hours ago, biffer said:

Have to highlight young Bob McIntyre's first full season on tour. Absolutely exceptional - if he was English Sky Sports would be shooting a load over him. 

€1.3million in prize money, 11th on the Race to Dubai money list, top ten in the open, three 2nd places. Best debut season by a Scottish golfer in a very long time.

Great shout. If he keeps his form up next season and grabs that elusive first win - which he could of course still manage this year - he'll be in the hunt for a Ryder Cup place too.

Watch out for Callum Hill next year. He is currently leading the Challenge tour. Hopefully Connor Syme can hold on to a top 15 slot so he can have another go at the big tour next year again.

Add in David Law and we have a decent crop of Scottish golfers trying to make their mark.

22 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Watch out for Callum Hill next year. He is currently leading the Challenge tour. Hopefully Connor Syme can hold on to a top 15 slot so he can have another go at the big tour next year again.

Add in David Law and we have a decent crop of Scottish golfers trying to make their mark.

Here's hoping, but there are a myriad of young guys who've gone from amateur ranks to pro in the last twenty years that we've had high hopes for who've then crashed and not achieved what we thought they were capable of. The conversion rate for top amateurs to good pros in Scotland has been shockingly bad, and I've never seen anyone really explain why.

40 minutes ago, biffer said:

Here's hoping, but there are a myriad of young guys who've gone from amateur ranks to pro in the last twenty years that we've had high hopes for who've then crashed and not achieved what we thought they were capable of. The conversion rate for top amateurs to good pros in Scotland has been shockingly bad, and I've never seen anyone really explain why.

Very fine margins when they get to that level. 

• 1 month later...

The Grand final of the Challenge Tour is now underway. Three young Scottish lads trying to get their tour card through this route. Callum Hill will make it no bother. He is currently number one on the Challenge tour but he will be keen to stay top at the end of the week. 

Connor Syme is battling to hold onto his place in the top 15 to get his tour card back. He was number 12 before play started today but after his first round of two over his projected ranking is down to 14. Could be close and this will be a good test of his character.

Ewan Ferguson was ranked 23 at the start but now has a projected ranking of 18 after today's par round. He will need to move up this weeks leaderboard a bit to get into the top 15 for the season. It could be him and Connor Syme battling it out for that last tour card place come Sunday? Hopefully both of them can make it into the top 15.

Syme made it in 14th place and Hill finished in 2nd for the year. Unfortunately Ferguson didn't do enough.

Bob MacIntyre was knocking on the door again on the main tour but didn't quite get it going on the final day. He looks perfectly at home at these bigger events though, which bodes well for the future.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Syme made it in 14th place and Hill finished in 2nd for the year. Unfortunately Ferguson didn't do enough.

Bob MacIntyre was knocking on the door again on the main tour but didn't quite get it going on the final day. He looks perfectly at home at these bigger events though, which bodes well for the future.

Victor Perez doing well with cool half million at the weekend and sitting at 9th on the tour. Not Scottish but he spends most of his time here when he's not on tour. I'm sure he could get a Scottish passport after independence if he asked nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, robbo cop said:

Not played in over 3 years due to brain tumour but went to practice range today and hit some balls. Did feel strange to start with but managed to hit a few good ones. Going to try and go down once a week then hopefully try 9 holes next year. 

Marvellous news. All the best getting back out there. 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, dandydunn said:

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, dandydunn said:

Thanks a lot, I remember as a young kid in the 70s with my first half set of clubs carrying them to Hazlehead and back to play the 9 hole course. Changed days now but happy memories.

Some good courses down my way now so hoping to try a few more. :)

6 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Thanks a lot, I remember as a young kid in the 70s with my first half set of clubs carrying them to Hazlehead and back to play the 9 hole course. Changed days now but happy memories.

Some good courses down my way now so hoping to try a few more. :)

Nice one mate. See if you can catch my total - 137 courses so far this year including 2 months with no golf due to going to Moscow and Cyprus for the games then being ill in between and weather being rubbish. Just done a week in Norfolk - played at Newark on way down. Highlight was Royal West Norfolk at Brancaster - a sensational course which becomes an island if there is a high tide. No cheap at £70 quid in winter = plus I had to go to Secretary's office for permission to play. Once permitted the place is very friendly - amazing place to play.

19 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Nice one mate. See if you can catch my total - 137 courses so far this year including 2 months with no golf due to going to Moscow and Cyprus for the games then being ill in between and weather being rubbish. Just done a week in Norfolk - played at Newark on way down. Highlight was Royal West Norfolk at Brancaster - a sensational course which becomes an island if there is a high tide. No cheap at £70 quid in winter = plus I had to go to Secretary's office for permission to play. Once permitted the place is very friendly - amazing place to play.

Well done and glad you are enjoying the golf. As for myself I am just trying to ease my way back slowly, I am happy with a few games now and again so will not be breaking any records I am afraid. Stopping down Norfolk way with my missus and the dog next year so may look to see what courses are nearby.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, irnbruman said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I assume you’re not married? 🤣

On 12/17/2019 at 10:35 PM, dandydunn said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I assume you’re not married? 🤣

Im 58..happily divorced. I work nights so plenty of time during the day. I do a week round Scotland in June playing about 13 or 14 courses then do Wsles as well.just stayng in different hotels and a couple of courses a day. I go away for long weekends to different places in England. Ive done 460 courses now in 4 years . Hopefully make another 100 next year then after that will be too difficult with the distances. Thinking of doing a retrospective blog with the pics.golf course reviews and reviews of different pub crawls in various towns. Next years Scotland trip is Dundee Aberdeen..Elgin..Inverness..Aviemore and Pitlochry. Wales is my fav place for golf .not as many courses but most sre really good.

Edited by irnbruman

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

Im 58..happily divorced. I work nights so plenty of time during the day. I do a week round Scotland in June playing about 13 or 14 courses then do Wsles as well.just stayng in different hotels and a couple of courses a day. I go away for long weekends to different places in England. Ive done 460 courses now in 4 years . Hopefully make another 100 next year then after that will be too difficult with the distances. Thinking of doing a retrospective blog with the pics.golf course reviews and reviews of different pub crawls in various towns. Next years Scotland trip is Dundee Aberdeen..Elgin..Inverness..Aviemore and Pitlochry. Wales is my fav place for golf .not as many courses but most sre really good.

Let me know when you’re in Aberdeen and can see if we can sort something out 👍🏽

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just been  on a week round Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. Some tremendous golf courses in great condition at winter prices, Burnham and Berrow a bit expensive at £60 but a very good championship course. Played St Mellion Nicklaus course at £20. Superb value for a course that used to host the European tour. Every single hole excellent - outstanding course and a top quality hotel to stay at for a great price(probably way more expensive in summer). But my absolute favourite was Perranporth - fabulous links course - stunning views -again every hole an absolute cracker - and such a friendly place  to play at.

Five Scots made the cut in the Saudi International. That's pretty good considering how many big names are playing in that one. Connor Syme only sneaked into the field at the last minute and is trying to make the most of it, currently sitting joint 45th. Grant Forrest making a great run up the leaderboard sitting in joint 9th alongside Brooks Koepka, Mickelson, Lowry and Pieters. Keeping company with some pretty decent golfers. 

Also good to see Victor Perez up at the top of the leaderboard again.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Who’s excited then. Haven’t swung a bat in anger since Hogmanay. Dying for a game. 

I think I should be pretty good at 5 yard chips. But that first drive is going to feel a wee bit strange. My first target is just to hit the ball.