Golfers Forum. - Page 41 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

1 hour ago, phart said:

You practice with a different ball than you play with?

Some amount of full kit w@nkers at the golf.

Some folk do. They use them for a few practice swings around the first tee before they start a round. The plastic ones only fly about 10 yards, so they don't have to walk a hundred yards to retrieve their practice shots.

I don't know for sure that is what he is using, but the way it bounces when it hits the ground doesn't look like a real golf ball to me. And, if he got that even slightly wrong using a real golf golf ball he could kill the guy. I think he would get more than a two shot penalty for that.:lol:

Edited by Orraloon

On 7/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Larky Masher said:

I've done that with a driver though not deliberately.

:lol:

My mate has agreed to let me try that with my 60 tomorrow, I think he’s gonna bottle it though :rollsmile:

Great day up at Carnoustie yesterday, saw some fantastic golf and I’m a wee bit sunburnt. I’d have loved to go again today, but train plus ticket plus food and drink would’ve been somewhere around £170  so having done a Friday as well, I reckon that’s enough. Also I’m knackered. Shaping up for a great last day. Bit of extra wind, so if Speith is as inaccurate as he was yesterday he might find himself in even worse positions - and might find the tight oob as well. McIlroy just needs putts to drop, might be his weekend. Kisser was looking twitchy towards the end of yesterday’s round, he might crack, similar questions of Scuaffele and Chappell. I think Molinari might be the one to watch.

one other thing, really enjoyed watching Zander Lombard yesterday, played the whole round with a big smile on his face, nice to see these guys enjoying playing.

Edited by biffer

I think its a very short sighted move taking the live coverage away from free stations. There might be more prize money for the big guns but there will inevitably be a drop off in youngsters and others taking up the game eventually leading to closures of lots of courses. Most courses now are reliant on the visitor income - I'm not  a member anywhere anymore but travel around playing as many courses as I can - usually only once.

Just done anther tour of Wales playing the following courses:-

Earlswood in Swansea - £12 pay and play - cracking layout apart from some of the front nine being a bit close to each other - glorious views over Swansea Bay and have to say the best greens Ive ever played on - immaculate.

Ashburnham near Llanelli - high quality links course that holds various championships -usually £55 quid at weekends but got the one slot on Teeofftimes for £15.

Tenby - £25 after 3 o'clock on a weekend. Hard as fook links course with loads of blind shots and ball ending up who knows where. Excellent course and had it to myself on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Trefoyle near Tenby - very friendly welcome from Pro Shop -signed me on at member's guest rate £10 instead of £20. Lovely layout only let down was greens were below par.

South Pembrokeshire - £20 in honesty box. Doesn't look much when you get there  -but far better once on the course - some outstanding holes and great views down the Milford Haven Waterway.

Milford Haven - excellent course - very varied after first three which are a bit samey. Again great views from the other bank of the Milford Haven Waterway.

Haverfordwest - nice condition but a few crossover holes and last 2 holes are very disappointing  -so much so that the members stop at 16th - last hole is huge uphill to the clubhouse - could be so much better but poorly designed.

Pwllelli - friendliest course ever from the pro shop to the members and bar staff. First seven holes quite easy parkland then changes to seven links holes finishing up with four more challenging parkland holes. Great fun to play - didn't really want to come off after 18 but had another course to play.

Henlllys on Anglesey - another excellent course - every holed different - just loved it and the views over the Menai Straits to Snowdonia brilliant.

Maesdu in Llandudno - excellent course again with outstanding views all around.

Rhyl - 9 hole seaside straight flat links - very friendly club unlike the town which is a total toilet. played the first nine with 3 of the members then following a pint played the same nine but with different tees -did the 9 in one over par which is pretty extraordinary for me being off 15.

7 hours ago, biffer said:

Great day up at Carnoustie yesterday, saw some fantastic golf and I’m a wee bit sunburnt. I’d have loved to go again today, but train plus ticket plus food and drink would’ve been somewhere around £170  so having done a Friday as well, I reckon that’s enough. Also I’m knackered. Shaping up for a great last day. Bit of extra wind, so if Speith is as inaccurate as he was yesterday he might find himself in even worse positions - and might find the tight oob as well. McIlroy just needs putts to drop, might be his weekend. Kisser was looking twitchy towards the end of yesterday’s round, he might crack, similar questions of Scuaffele and Chappell. I think Molinari might be the one to watch.

one other thing, really enjoyed watching Zander Lombard yesterday, played the whole round with a big smile on his face, nice to see these guys enjoying playing.

Ooooohh I’m good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Toepoke said:

Interesting post irnbruman. Certainly I've not watched a shot of this years Open, in years gone by I'd have been glued to the final day.

I opted to just watch the highlights this year. I won't be doing that again. All you get to see is loads of putts getting holed and what seems like every single shot that Tiger plays (sometimes more than once). Why are they still infatuated with this guy? What hold does he have over them?

Anyone hit any targets this season?

I started at 15 and now down to 12, so I’m bang on for what I was looking for in being down 3, but still plenty time to get lower. It’s getting harder and harder to not have the extra double bogey available to me now, but all good. 

Productive year anyway, hitting the ball further, cleaner and straighter, so can’t complain, only problem is that with the sun that my home course has been baked in, I’m hitting driver about 300 yards with a ridiculous amount of run and I’ve had to play a lot of shots that I’d never previously played before :lol:

22 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If you are a slow player you might want to think about getting your finger out if you don't want to suffer serious repercussions. 

http://www.golfwrx.com/525778/new-details-in-the-case-of-the-golfer-who-allegedly-bit-off-another-golfers-finger/

I play a lot of golf Billy Nomates going round different courses - had 5 or 6 arguments over the last three years. 99 per cent of folk are only too keen to let you play through (as I am with anyone playing faster behind me) - but the main culprits are elderly men who still think that the "single player has no standing on the course".  Never got involved in any violence though and stick to picking on folk who are smaller than me

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

I play a lot of golf Billy Nomates going round different courses - had 5 or 6 arguments over the last three years. 99 per cent of folk are only too keen to let you play through (as I am with anyone playing faster behind me) - but the main culprits are elderly men who still think that the "single player has no standing on the course".  Never got involved in any violence though and stick to picking on folk who are smaller than me

Aye, that rule changed about 16 years ago too, and I still hear loads of these auld (they are usually auld) codgers quoting that rule. 

It's going to be chaos at the start of next year when the new rule book comes out. It's going to be the biggest number of changes to the rules in one go, probably ever. Most of the rule changes are designed to try to speed up play, but there will be loads of these auld duffers who struggle to get their heads round so many changes at once. Some of them are still trying to use rules that haven't been in place since the 70s.

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's going to be chaos at the start of next year when the new rule book comes out. It's going to be the biggest number of changes to the rules in one go, probably ever. Most of the rule changes are designed to try to speed up play, but there will be loads of these auld duffers who struggle to get their heads round so many changes at once. Some of them are still trying to use rules that haven't been in place since the 70s.

Absolute carnage ahead with that one. I'm sure different clubs will have different ways of dealing with the change but I'd bet that most committees don't have any more clue than the members about what's ahead.

• 1 month later...