Golfers Forum. - Page 38 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

I noticed that Syme has signed a couple of endorsement deals recently so that can't be a bad sign? As usual with these things it'll probably come down to attitude, mental strength and work ethic so hopefully he's good on that score too.

Personally, despite only playing six competitive rounds all "summer", I managed to go from 6.4 to 5.4 so pretty happy to spend the winter in cat 1.

12 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

I noticed that Syme has signed a couple of endorsement deals recently so that can't be a bad sign? As usual with these things it'll probably come down to attitude, mental strength and work ethic so hopefully he's good on that score too.

Personally, despite only playing six competitive rounds all "summer", I managed to go from 6.4 to 5.4 so pretty happy to spend the winter in cat 1.

Aye, he has signed up with one of Rory's pop star pals. They seem to be doing a good job at getting him invites. 

On 16/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, Flora MaDonald said:

Nearing the end of term. How's everyone's season been? 

I simply haven’t had the time to do much at all this season, which is very disappointing. 

Tested the 2017 M2 the other day, it truly is a weapon. 

Just done courses 100 and 101 the other week with a wee trip to Skegness. Both courses Seacroft ..proper links and Skeggie North Shore ..part links part parkland absolutely excellent. North shore one of my all time favourites. Had a bit of time off with Slovenia match and being ####ed with stinker of a cold since. But Many courses a lot cheaper in November ..so couple of wee trips up cumbrian coast still to go ..have to play Silloth.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Connor Syme has made the cut again this week at Valderrama. Was outside the top 70 with three holes to go and birdied 16 and 18 to make it. Good stuff.

Aye, fantastic start to his professional career. He has started 3 tournaments and made all  3 cuts. Can't be many folk have made a start like that?

• 3 weeks later...

Bradley Neil, from Blairgowrie, managed to secure his tour card for next year after finishing 15th on the Challenge tour. Excellent result for him.

Also, 7 other Scottish guys successfully made it though to the final qualifying stage in Tarragona on 11th to 16th Nov. I think there are 150ish in the final stage and the top 25 plus ties get their tour card for next year. It won't be easy but it looks like a good few decent young Scottish golfers coming through.

After a pretty average first two rounds at qualifying school, Connor Syme shot 63 yesterday to get back into contention for his card. That's some going. He's now on the same score as fellw Scot Bob McIntyre and they are tied 22nd going into round four. I think the field is cut to 70 after today then the top 25 after two more rounds get their card.

4 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

After a pretty average first two rounds at qualifying school, Connor Syme shot 63 yesterday to get back into contention for his card. That's some going. He's now on the same score as fellw Scot Bob McIntyre and they are tied 22nd going into round four. I think the field is cut to 70 after today then the top 25 after two more rounds get their card.

Aye, he has done really well to get back into contention. I think he was about 95th after the first two rounds. Anybody who makes the cut (top 70 plus ties) gets a place on the challenge tour (Race to Oman, I think it's called?). That would be an excellent achievement for him but he will be going all out for a top 25 place. Good luck to him and the other Scots. He is back out on the Hills course today, where he played his first round, He shot level par that day. If he did that again he would probably make the cut but he will be hoping to shot under par. The projected cut at the moment is level par but I'm guessing it will go to -2 (or -3 ) if the conditions are good.

Finished with a 67 and is now tied for 6th. Four Scots in total made the cut, David Law in tied 25th, Bob McIntyre tied 35th and Scott Henry tied for 67th. Hopefully they can all do well over the next couple of days but for two guys just turned pro straight from the Walker Cup Syme and McIntyre are doing really well.

Edited by wee-toon-red

Ross Kellet and Euan Ferguson just missed out by one shot. Very unlucky, but that's golf.

That is some performance from Connor Syme. After the first two fairly average rounds he has now done the next two rounds with 13 birdies and no bogeys. That is some shooting at any level. He has made his first objective, but he will be disappointed if he doesn't manage to stay in the top 25  after the next 2 rounds now. Best of luck to him.

Some more good stuff from the Scots boys today. Syme now up to tied 3rd after a 67 and Macintyre inside the top 25 after a 66 leaves him tied 16th, which is actually right on the "cut" line as there are nine of them tied on the same score. Syme's score is 4 inside the qualifying mark. David Law slipped back a bit after a 69 for tied 31st but he's only two shots off the top 25 so plenty left to play for tomorrow. Scott Henry went round in 68 to climb up to tied 58th and will need something special tomorrow as he's six off the pace. Best of luck to all of them.

Edited by wee-toon-red

Connor having another good round today. -3 after 9 holes. Only another 9 holes to negotiate. I wonder if he is starting to feel the pressure? He's got a 4 or 5 shot cushion at the moment but, as we all know, that could disappear very quickly if the concentration drops. Just keep it going young man. 

Bob MacIntyre needs a couple of birdies in the last few holes. Even more pressure on him.

Edited by Orraloon

• 3 months later...

Connor Syme has just finished at 9 under for the Tshwane Open in South Africa. He is sitting 10th the moment but there are still a few folk to finish. That will be his best finish this season, so far, and should get him a few Race to Dubai points. Well done Connor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started on this year's quest to play as many different courses as poss - wont get anywhere near last year total of 111.

Was looking for somewhere to play on way up from Blackpool to Glasgow  last Friday -most courses in NNorth of England either closed or on temps so decided to go to Southerness just south of Dumfries. Winter price was £35 - £55 after March - it gets cracking reviews and meant to be really hard - but although the course was in great nick and members were very friendly - have to say the course to me was just quite nice. I expected it to be a lot harder and more memorable holes but found it quite easy with wide fairways and a lot of holes looking very similar  -particularly on front nine.  So although enjoyable  -certainly not worth the visitor green fees - maybe a lower handicapper might think it more quality  -dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2018 at 8:19 PM, irnbruman said:

Just started on this year's quest to play as many different courses as poss - wont get anywhere near last year total of 111.

Was looking for somewhere to play on way up from Blackpool to Glasgow  last Friday -most courses in NNorth of England either closed or on temps so decided to go to Southerness just south of Dumfries. Winter price was £35 - £55 after March - it gets cracking reviews and meant to be really hard - but although the course was in great nick and members were very friendly - have to say the course to me was just quite nice. I expected it to be a lot harder and more memorable holes but found it quite easy with wide fairways and a lot of holes looking very similar  -particularly on front nine.  So although enjoyable  -certainly not worth the visitor green fees - maybe a lower handicapper might think it more quality  -dunno.

If you do that journey again, try Silloth if you haven’t played it already. A bit out the way but worth the trip.

6 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

If you do that journey again, try Silloth if you haven’t played it already. A bit out the way but worth the trip.

Played Silloth last November for £30 - its £60 in summer. They still had the full course on - brilliant course - one of my favourites from last year - there's another cracker just down the Cumbrian coast at Seascale. My favourite course of all last year was Golspie - when I was doing a trip round the North Coast 500. For an overall experience - the nine hole (18 tees) course at Durness on top left corner of Scotland was fabulous - views of the beach at one side - go over the hill and mountains on the other - with the last hole a par 3 over the crags and inlet to the green. Honesty box and a kettle in the wee clubhouse at half time.