Golfers Forum. - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Get refurbished ones. Good as new although probably have a slightly shorter life (not an issue with me as they find new home in the ####in gorse soon enough :angry: ). Around 28 quid for two dozen from various ebay sellers.

I would keep clear of refurbed/refinished - that seems to suggest (from a lot of sellers anyway) that they've painted the ball or somehow tampered with it so it looks new but in doing so they've probably compromised the intended performance of the ball and it won't do as it should.

I would suggest just getting Class A+, second hand (basically hit once and lost) balls. No painting, no typex, no nonsense.

Either that or your local pro will likely be selling off dozens of this seasons Pro VI's/Taylormade Tour Preferred's at a knock down price right now - in advance of next seasosn's new ball of choice!

I'm with you LM, I can't justify paying £3 a ball.

I use a seller on eBay called mailordergolf who deal in good quality second hand golf balls. Buying 100 Titleist Pro Vs comes in at £126 and I've never had any issue with the quality of the balls I've bought from them.

I think Titleist NXTs are just as good if not better than Pro V1s and you can usually get them a good bit cheaper.

I think Titleist NXTs are just as good if not better than Pro V1s and you can usually get them a good bit cheaper.

As with any ball, I think finding the right one for your game depends on your handicap. You don't see any pros using NXT's. Probably because you don't get anywhere near the same spin therefore it impacts distance control with irons.

As with any ball, I think finding the right one for your game depends on your handicap. You don't see any pros using NXT's. Probably because you don't get anywhere near the same spin therefore it impacts distance control with irons.

Aye, that's probably a good point. I don't want too much spin on my balls as mine tend to be spinning sideways instead of backwards. :lol:

I use ProV1s or NXTs during the summer. I am not good enough to tell any difference. I find I lose a bit of distance with those in the winter time so I use harder balls during the winter.

Urethane Elastomer (obvioulsy aff the top of my heid.......). You still using Wilson Sam Snead irons and luminous yellow Dunlop 65i's?!

I found a balata ball in the rough a few months back. The golf museum in St Andrews were quite pleased when I handed it in to them.

I occasionally use pro v's,but I don't buy them,just when they're won or gifted.

I'm the same. Our golf club hand out ProV1s as prizes. Those and the ones I find in the rough are the only ProV1s I use. No way am I paying £3 for a golf ball.

• 3 weeks later...

Being an auld James Hunt, I still can't get my head round these hybrid things. Is a 19 degree loft equivalent to a 1 iron?

I use Rescue clubs. A 19 degree is supposed to be equivalent to a 3 iron. But like all clubs it just depends on how well you hit it. I have a 4 (22 deg) and a 5 (24 deg) Rescue but I find they go a bit further than the equivalent irons. My 4 Rescue is like a 3 Iron and my 5 is like a 4 Iron. So I would say a 19 degree should be between a 1 and 2 iron.

My 3 Iron used to be my favourite club but I wouldn't dream of going back to it now. Rescues are far more versatile than irons. You can hit them high and get the ball to stop quicker if you are hitting to the green over a bunker or you can hit them lower to get a bit more run. They are also great out of the semi-rough.

Edited by Orraloon

The 18 is allegedly a 2 iron and 24 a 4 iron though as Orraloon says the go a bit further than the iron equivalent so I still carry a 4 iron in the bag.

Cheers, Larky. My irons are only 5 upto the wedges. I've got one hybrid (a 19 degree), so I'll probably need another slightly more lofted.

As an aside, everyone goes on about hybrids giving you more height - I would say mine is an identical flight to my old 1-iron.

Cheers, Larky. My irons are only 5 upto the wedges. I've got one hybrid (a 19 degree), so I'll probably need another slightly more lofted.

As an aside, everyone goes on about hybrids giving you more height - I would say mine is an identical flight to my old 1-iron.

Aye, you defo need something between a 5 iron and a 19 deg hybrid.

As for getting a bit of height, it's more about how you swing it. If you swing it low and flat the ball will fly low and flat. If you want a bit of height ( I only ever do it of I need to carry over a hazard onto the green) you need a bit steeper backswing and hit down onto the ball. You might need to take an extra club though to make sure you clear the hazard but the ball will stop pretty quick on the green.