Golfers Forum. - Page 28 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

44 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Greens will be brilliant. It is as tight as feck off the tee. Nice course if pretty un links like. It's a weird mix but enjoyable.

It's the tight as feck bit that's a worry !! 

Played 3 courses in last week - Whitley Bay £13 on teeofftimes  -bargain - lovely course but very hard in parts - 15th and 16th require 200 yard carries  - bit knackered if you aren't a big hitter . Played Prudhoe near Newcastle on Friday £10 - shortish but tricky . Back down in Blackpool this week and played North Shore today £16 - driven past it many times but never played it  - good condition - quite long but a bit featureless. Thought I was gonna break 90 for first time this year when out in 41 then blew up on 13,14,15 and ended up scoring 92 - but still ok when I go on my golf trip with handicap of 22,

Had my first ever argument at Prudhoe on Friday. As a single player I'm well aware that technically I have no standing on the course but in these days of courses requiring visitors it doesn't do for members to be cnuts. On the front nine 4 guys playing a doubles match (off the white tees) let me through - so thanked them for that - on the back nine 4 duffers in front of me - forever looking for their balls and just ignoring me waiting behind on the tee - they could see that I was far quicker than them and also a much better player but no common decency from them.

Played the 16th and my ball was on the fairway but apparently they had priority on the 17th tee which played over the 116th fairway. I got to my ball while they were leaving the green with a 50 yard walk to the tee. Next thing they are whistling me out of the way before they got on the tee. Well that was the last straw - threw my club down in disgust -  moved to the side while they then drove off. When they passed me I said "You've got a cheek whistling me out of the way when you could have let me play through plenty of times - you slow w*nkers" . Bloke replies "You have no social standing on the course as a single player" . Being the mild mannered sort I replied "You wont be standing if I wrap this club round your neck ya #####. " He decides he is reporting me and asks my name . "John Smith (which it is) - stick that up your arse". They fooked up straight away at the eighteenth .

I may have been slightly out of order with the language and threatening someone - but I pity anyone else stuck behind them.

On 5/17/2016 at 9:45 PM, irnbruman said:

Played 3 courses in last week - Whitley Bay £13 on teeofftimes  -bargain - lovely course but very hard in parts - 15th and 16th require 200 yard carries  - bit knackered if you aren't a big hitter . Played Prudhoe near Newcastle on Friday £10 - shortish but tricky . Back down in Blackpool this week and played North Shore today £16 - driven past it many times but never played it  - good condition - quite long but a bit featureless. Thought I was gonna break 90 for first time this year when out in 41 then blew up on 13,14,15 and ended up scoring 92 - but still ok when I go on my golf trip with handicap of 22,

Had my first ever argument at Prudhoe on Friday. As a single player I'm well aware that technically I have no standing on the course but in these days of courses requiring visitors it doesn't do for members to be cnuts. On the front nine 4 guys playing a doubles match (off the white tees) let me through - so thanked them for that - on the back nine 4 duffers in front of me - forever looking for their balls and just ignoring me waiting behind on the tee - they could see that I was far quicker than them and also a much better player but no common decency from them.

Played the 16th and my ball was on the fairway but apparently they had priority on the 17th tee which played over the 116th fairway. I got to my ball while they were leaving the green with a 50 yard walk to the tee. Next thing they are whistling me out of the way before they got on the tee. Well that was the last straw - threw my club down in disgust -  moved to the side while they then drove off. When they passed me I said "You've got a cheek whistling me out of the way when you could have let me play through plenty of times - you slow w*nkers" . Bloke replies "You have no social standing on the course as a single player" . Being the mild mannered sort I replied "You wont be standing if I wrap this club round your neck ya #####. " He decides he is reporting me and asks my name . "John Smith (which it is) - stick that up your arse". They fooked up straight away at the eighteenth .

I may have been slightly out of order with the language and threatening someone - but I pity anyone else stuck behind them.

That's pretty poor - you'd normally let a single through anyway rather than having them breath down your neck - however, if they are looking for balls they should immediately wave through the group behind if that group is waiting to play, single or not.  Poor etiquette from the 4-ball.  That said, swearing loses you any argument and trumps the poor etiquette part (as justified as the swearing sounds!).

On 17/05/2016 at 9:45 PM, irnbruman said:

As a single player I'm well aware that technically I have no standing on the course but in these days of courses requiring visitors it doesn't do for members to be cnuts.

That used to be the case but the rules have changed. I think it changed in the 2012, or maybe even the 2008, version of the rule book. (The rule book gets updated every 4 years). Single players now have exactly the same standing as anybody else on the golf course.

Whether they should have let you play through or not, isn't about how slow they are compared to you. It is about what is in front of them. If they are keeping up with the group in front of them, then they don't need to let you play through. If they are not keeping up with the group in front of them then they should let you play through.

On 16/05/2016 at 7:59 PM, Angus_Young said:

Playing Falkirk Carmuirs tomorrow in our second works medal. Then got a bounce game arranged at Glenbervie on Thursday. Hopefully weather will be better than a couple weeks ago. 

79 blows  (par 69). Hit the ball really well, just a few daft mistakes. I had three 'tops' off the tee and two lost balls which obviously didn't help things. Other than that it was defenite progress from the last outing. 

On 17/05/2016 at 9:45 PM, irnbruman said:

Whilst I agree they sound like ignorant arseholes I don't think calling them that, or threatening to cave their heads in was ever going to end well. :) Well played though, clearly think they owned the place. Costs nothing to have manners. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That used to be the case but the rules have changed. I think it changed in the 2012, or maybe even the 2008, version of the rule book. (The rule book gets updated every 4 years). Single players now have exactly the same standing as anybody else on the golf course.

Whether they should have let you play through or not, isn't about how slow they are compared to you. It is about what is in front of them. If they are keeping up with the group in front of them, then they don't need to let you play through. If they are not keeping up with the group in front of them then they should let you play through.

They didn't have anyone in front of them at all on the back nine - it was the fact that they were doffing it off the tee then looking for balls - so they had plenty of opportunity to wave me through. I'm afraid the smug bass tard really got on my nerves after shooing me off the fairway - I wouldn't normally swear at anyone but there was only 4 of them and I was bigger lol.  

53 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

79 blows  (par 69). Hit the ball really well, just a few daft mistakes. I had three 'tops' off the tee and two lost balls which obviously didn't help things. Other than that it was defenite progress from the last outing. 

10 over par with 4 dropped shots for the 2 lost balls and 3 tops of the tee - you should be playing off a 3 handicap, ya bandit.:lol:

irnbruman

''17th tee which played over the 116th fairway ''

Nae wonder you lost yir cool, you wid have been knackered playing that course.. ;-)

16 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

They didn't have anyone in front of them at all on the back nine - it was the fact that they were doffing it off the tee then looking for balls - so they had plenty of opportunity to wave me through. I'm afraid the smug bass tard really got on my nerves after shooing me off the fairway - I wouldn't normally swear at anyone but there was only 4 of them and I was bigger lol.  

Aye, they should have let you play through. But the rule says "should", it's not a "must", a subtle but important difference. There is no penalty for breaking that rule except the risk of club wrapped roond their neck.:lol:

Edited by Orraloon

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

10 over par with 4 dropped shots for the 2 lost balls and 3 tops of the tee - you should be playing off a 3 handicap, ya bandit.:lol:

I'm  being slightly misleading with my lost balls as they were both water hazards so I didn't need to play from that spot again. Both times I escaped with bogey. 

One of them was where I topped it off the tee as well so it was almost like a double escape. Basically was hitting 5 iron for safety and topped it about 60 yards in front of me. Put it in the water from there then got up and down for a 5 from 140 yards. :)

4 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

I'm  being slightly misleading with my lost balls as they were both water hazards so I didn't need to play from that spot again. Both times I escaped with bogey. 

One of them was where I topped it off the tee as well so it was almost like a double escape. Basically was hitting 5 iron for safety and topped it about 60 yards in front of me. Put it in the water from there then got up and down for a 5 from 140 yards. :)

So, your lost balls only cost you one dropped shot instead of two. I'll give you a handicap of 5 then.:ok:

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

So, your lost balls only cost you one dropped shot instead of two. I'll give you a handicap of 5 then.:ok:

Haha that's good of you. Incidentally my lowest has been 6. Now playing off 8 although that's unofficial. That said in the 20 years I've been playing I've been off 8 for about 15 of them. Think I've found my level :)

6 - was always a bit false anyway. I went round in -2 one day in a medal and got cut to that. Never played to it once. 

4 hours ago, biffer said:

Muirfield has voted against allowing women to join the club. Pretty disgraceful in this day and age. And a shame we won't see another open at Muirfield because of it.

It's a shame we won't see an open there,but it's a gentlemans club. 

As I said in the other thread,I can't join women's clubs,or enter their tournaments,why should it be different with the roles reversed?

Edited by dandydunn

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, they should have let you play through. But the rule says "should", it's not a "must", a subtle but important difference. There is no penalty for breaking that rule except the risk of club wrapped roond their neck.:lol:

Very poor behaviour to be searching for balls and not let the waiting group behind play though. These are the sort of idiots that put people off golf. The same idiots that give you into trouble for changing your shoes in the car park. Golf has moved in - these people need to also. 

Played Kintore for the first time today. 

What a trek up hills at times,so many blind tee shots and approaches,I doubt I'll be back in a hurry. 

88 less 14 was enough to scoop the sweeper,first round this year I've managed 2 birdies,just a pity about the 9 that was in between them :(

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Played Kintore for the first time today. 

What a trek up hills at times,so many blind tee shots and approaches,I doubt I'll be back in a hurry. 

88 less 14 was enough to scoop the sweeper,first round this year I've managed 2 birdies,just a pity about the 9 that was in between them :(

4 over your handicap was good enough to win the sweep? The opposition must be pretty shit?:lol:

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

4 over your handicap was good enough to win the sweep? The opposition must be pretty shit?:lol:

We were playing stableford between mates. I wouldn't say shit,the other five were off of 1,5,5,6&7. 

Away to head back out now,but if truth be told,I really can't be arsed,but needs must. 

Yesterday 4 over for first 9 so thought I was in for best round of season so then went 4 over at 11 ( a five putt), 12 (this included an air shot) and 13 (tried to play an impossible shot when it would much more sensible to take a drop).

I hate this game

16 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Yesterday 4 over for first 9 so thought I was in for best round of season so then went 4 over at 11 ( a five putt), 12 (this included an air shot) and 13 (tried to play an impossible shot when it would much more sensible to take a drop).

I hate this game

Better players than you have 5 putted.:lol: Since Ernie's meltdown at the Masters, I've been surprised at how many folk I have heard about 4 putting and 5 putting. It's almost like it's suddenly become trendy.

Just now, Orraloon said:

Better players than you have 5 putted.:lol: Since Ernie's meltdown at the Masters, I've been surprised at how many folk I have heard about 4 putting and 5 putting. It's almost like it's suddenly become trendy.

Had been putting like a dream up till then but did get back on track last 4 holes.