The Sun - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would the editorial stance of the English edition be? That readership would be pro Union and The Sun risks alienating them.

This bit strikes somewhat of a chord.

I don't think it really matters what stance they take editorally, as they are two distinct papers - the Scottish Sun and the English Sun. To take it off topic, if Labour had a different "editorial" stance from Westminster in Scotland then it would be arguable if we would even have a referendum. People will see the two editions and acknowledge the difference in my opinion.

My views on the Sun are that we need them. We need a red-top to balance the other tabloids. The Sun has the highest readership in Scotland. I know of at least one opinion that takes what he reads in the papers as gospel. He is a No just now but i'm sure he'd change his mind if the "Sun told him to".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember speaking to Jim Sillars years ago just after he won in Govan. He had agreed to do a column ,I think for the SUN though might have been the record. And he said it was "like getting the devil to do Gods work" he also pointed out that the money he got from it would go toward employing another member of staff.

I am on topic. Yes I do and I think it will have an impact on left wingers who are backing the Yes campaign. It could have a negative impact.

So you reckon it could be counter productive for the Yes camp?

Can't see that personally - it's Scotland's biggest selling paper and would balance out the negative headlines from other sources.

There's also plenty of unsavoury elements on the No side - Sunday Telegraph's front page the day, The Daily Mail in general, The Orange Order, UKIP to name but a few.

I'd be very interested to see the English reaction if The Sun did back Yes. Would Cameron fly back up to Scotland and stay till the polls close on Thursday?

And in the event of a Yes vote, what would The Sun's stance be on both sides of the border when it came to the negotiations?

I am on topic. Yes I do and I think it will have an impact on left wingers who are backing the Yes campaign. It could have a negative impact.

Do you think that Yes-leaning left wingers will be put off voting yes, because the Scottish Sun supports Yes; and vote No, because Murdoch's Times and London Sun and all the others supports No?

The fact that Eddard is posting all over this topic belies the unfortunate truth for him.

Yes, there will probably be one or two people who will view an endorsement by Murdoch as a deal-breaker, and as a result they will change their vote from YES to NO.

A few.

However, this number will be dwarfed by the number of "soft" voters who will gain some courage from what they read in the press, even if it's just a headline. The fact that it is the highest-selling daily in Scotland is just a bonus.

And in the final week before voting, this is absolutely huge. Last week's Westminster storm, will be nothing compared to what they willl unleash this week. And having just one daily on-side will be massive.

This really is a case of "my enemy's enemy...."

All of those soft votes that have been enticed over to YES? It was always a worry, as Eddard fully understands, that they might, come the vote, drift back to the status quo.

They've just been thrown the mother of all comfort blankets.

Snowball time....

Edited by morag

Do you think that Yes-leaning left wingers will be put off voting yes, because the Scottish Sun supports Yes; and vote No, because Murdoch's Times and London Sun and all the others supports No?

considering they are some of them are probably soft yes votes then I do. Its not a massive leap in terms of rationale. Scottish voters are exposed to the Scottish Sun not the English voters. This is the Sun we are on about, remember?

considering they are some of them are probably soft yes votes then I do. Its not a massive leap in terms of rationale. Scottish voters are exposed to the Scottish Sun not the English voters. This is the Sun we are on about, remember?

Of course a few may switch - others might abstain.

But you are talking here about people with enough political awareness to act on principle to not follow the line Murdoch wants via the Scottish Sun, but if they vote no, then they are following what Murdoch's Times, at least, has been arguing Scots voters to do, throughout.

In this sense you can't avoid doing what one of Murdoch's papers wants.

I wouldn't want to overestimate the significance of Murdoch and the Sun, which is at best a fairweather friend - or a fairweather enemy's enemy - for any cause.

A slap in the face to folk who went to a fitba match and never came back.

Flora well written. :ok:

Scotland and Salmond will lose face if the YES want to jump into bed with that scumbag Murdoch.It's a sad time when they have to bow down to that scumbag to raise their profile. :wtf: .

I have spokent to MANY labour voters who are voting Yes and not one of them gives a flying feck about Murdoch. They are voting Yes for the same reasons as the rest of us and they are also doing it for the re-birth of the Labour Party in Scotland. These are not men who watch what Murdoch does then simply do the opposite, these are thinking men (and yes they are mostly men).

The only people Murdoch will influence over the next 3 days are Suns readers and he will probably push tens of thousands over the last traces of their doubts....

This infantile chatter misses the scale of what is going on. Get out on the streets and see for yourselfs....

Flora well written. :ok:

Scotland and Salmond will lose face if the YES want to jump into bed with that scumbag Murdoch.It's a sad time when they have to bow down to that scumbag to raise their profile. :wtf: .

I think no one should be jumping into bed with Murdoch or bowing down to anyone

However, if the Sun or the Pyongyang Times or Tehran Press & Journal come out for independence - or gleefully breaking up Britain or Balkanising Europe - then there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I can see where Flora and Scouse Eddie are coming from on this - The Sun's coverage of Hillsborough will never be erased nor forgiven. You feel that you are dancing with the devil here.

However, you then look at the flip side. There needs to be counter-balance of all the pro-Union papers spouting their lies and support for the Union. And there is no denying that in this part of the world The Sun commands a huge readership.

I made up my mind months ago about which way I was going and no media outlet would ever influence my thinking, but there is no denying that the media can have an influence, particularly someone as powerful as Murdoch.

Edited by King Of Paisley

He was in Aberdeen yesterday, in the Prince of Wales for a pint. Then came out to experience the "atmosphere" at the Naw/Aye campaign stalls outside Markies.

Was a bit strange to be honest.

I think no one should be jumping into bed with Murdoch or bowing down to anyone

However, if the Sun or the Pyongyang Times or Tehran Press & Journal come out for independence - or gleefully breaking up Britain or Balkanising Europe - then there is nothing anyone can do about it.

We all know that the media can influence people to change their views with a headline or two.

WTF is that scumbag doing in Scotland, i know because he has seen a chance to sell a few of his rags, he does not give a fcuk about Scotland and you all know that.

Yes would gain more TES votes by making a statement telling the Scottish folk that he is a scumbag and give reasons why.

OK so he wrote some shite about Hillsborough but does not have to mention that, how about the phone hacking and how that lot deleted messages from a missing schoolgirls phone to gain info and dig up some dirt.

An utter utter scumbag of the highest order but to some if his presence and rags change a NO to a YES then its OK..

As others have said, the Sun loves to be seen as "wot won it". The reality of this means they tend to bide their time and back whoever looks like winning.

From that perspective, them coming out for Yes (if it happens) should be seen as a positive, despite the fact many of us choose not to buy it.