Wc Opening Game - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wc Opening Game

ShedTA

So the ref in the opening game awarded a try and then reversed his decision based on what he saw on the big screen highlights. Fiji were lining up to take the conversion but he cancels the try award. Correct that it was not a try but the ref did not go to the tmo and reversed his decision based on the big screen highlights - which are not part of the laws of the game.

Disgraceful decision surely and opening a can of worms?

So the ref in the opening game awarded a try and then reversed his decision based on what he saw on the big screen highlights. Fiji were lining up to take the conversion but he cancels the try award. Correct that it was not a try but the ref did not go to the tmo and reversed his decision based on the big screen highlights - which are not part of the laws of the game.

Disgraceful decision surely and opening a can of worms?

Even Clive Woodward agreed with you during the HT chat.

And how the TMO could award that last try is beyond me. If may have looked possible or maybe even likely (if you are biased and really really wanted it to be) but unless it is 100% definitively clear he cannot award it.

Dreadful refereeing to ensure a bonus point win for England big sadly I think this may set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

Everything possible will be done to ensure an England triumph.

And how the TMO could award that last try is beyond me. If may have looked possible or maybe even likely (if you are biased and really really wanted it to be) but unless it is 100% definitively clear he cannot award it.

Dreadful refereeing to ensure a bonus point win for England big sadly I think this may set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

I'm doubly gutted as I has a wee wager on Fiji at +24 points.

Thought it touched the line especially fae the side view but the fact that it's the most important decision of the world cup according tae the commentators pish

Thought it touched the line especially fae the side view but the fact that it's the most important decision of the world cup according tae the commentators pish

Yeah the side view showed that maybe he just reached the line. From behind it looked unlikely that he did. Very difficult to tell either way.

But the key word is maybe. Even if the side angle showed 99% likelihood it touched that's not good enough. When the question asked us "Try, yes or no" it has to be 100%. Benefit of the doubt should only be given if the ref is minded to award the try and is asking the TMO if there is any reason not to.

The ref can't use the big screen for his decisions. He is then at the mercy of the stadium highlights - always unlikely to be fair.

Does every ground being used have a big screen? And he also appeared to react to the crowd. What if it had been an English score and there was no big roar at the replay, I'm sure the try would have been awarded.

Does every ground being used have a big screen? And he also appeared to react to the crowd. What if it had been an English score and there was no big roar at the replay, I'm sure the try would have been awarded.

Exactly.

4th try was a farce too. No 100% visible evidence so the tmo and refjust award it. Onwhat? Probability that it was a try? Poor.

Exactly.

4th try was a farce too. No 100% visible evidence so the tmo and refjust award it. Onwhat? Probability that it was a try? Poor.

It awarded on the basis that it was the last play of the match and England needed it for their bonus point, plus the crowd cheering the one angle that suggested it MAY have just clipped the line.

Nothing else.

It is inconceivable that the TMO was 100% certain that the ball touched the line because no camera angle gave the required definitive view of it.

Dreadfully poor officiating and the officials far too easily swayed by the home crowd.

It awarded on the basis that it was the last play of the match and England needed it for their bonus point, plus the crowd cheering the one angle that suggested it MAY have just clipped the line.

Nothing else.

It is inconceivable that the TMO was 100% certain that the ball touched the line because no camera angle gave the required definitive view of it.

Dreadfully poor officiating and the officials far too easily swayed by the home crowd.

This.