Davis Cup Semi Finals - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Davis Cup Semi Finals

Parklife

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also supported Team Europe in the Ryder Cup...................did you and if so please explain the difference!

Scotland competes as a fully Independent Nation in Golf, same as Football World Cup, so supporting Team Europe, where Scotland is an Equal participant is a completely different thing to supporting team GB ....

It's not my country either.I'm just not so blinded as not to support our fellow Countrymen/Women athletes or service personnel regardless.

so would you support our countrymen who play for the R.O.I.?

In many sports those at the top level in Scotland will (or can) at different times in different tournaments represent Scotland or the UK. These sports include tennis, hockey, rugby (British & Irish Lions), swimming, athletics - in fact just about any Olympic sport. They are not choosing to represent the UK at the expense of Scotland but in addition to. Some will disagree with this, though I'd question whether in reality most would refuse to go to an Olympics in an individual or team sport if they chance came their way in the real world. Each to their own though. In any case it isn't remotely comparable to the likes of McGeady or McCarthy (or any of the Anglo-Scots for that matter) who opt to play for another national team instead of, and even against, the country of their birth.

In many sports those at the top level in Scotland will (or can) at different times in different tournaments represent Scotland or the UK. These sports include tennis, hockey, rugby (British & Irish Lions), swimming, athletics - in fact just about any Olympic sport. They are not choosing to represent the UK at the expense of Scotland but in addition to. Some will disagree with this, though I'd question whether in reality most would refuse to go to an Olympics in an individual or team sport if they chance came their way in the real world. Each to their own though. In any case it isn't remotely comparable to the likes of McGeady or McCarthy (or any of the Anglo-Scots for that matter) who opt to play for another national team instead of, and even against, the country of their birth.

This...

Edited by allyc

if you support the British state in any way,Then you are supporting the British State,,,

The better Britain do the more it encourages Britishness..

thats why they do it....

team GB,

Mon the Brits etc..

If Britain win we get a wankfest of Britain and the UJ etc ... We are great etc etc

Thats why I want Britain to lose..

I actually dont mind England winning at all ,

id bothers me not a jot,

I can watch England play any sport happily as a neutra

l but i am for every single team that play against Britain/GB/.UK whatever the sport...

The more Britain loses the better I feel...

But heyho, thats the burden i bear.,.. others are different

Everyone is right and everyone is wrong in this debate.................not logical to hate the GB concept (me) but support Team GB due to Scots competing. Same with Chris Hoy winning all the golds under a GB banner.

Similarly, not logical to support Australian team over thw guys from Dunblane. Not logical at all.

We are having this debate because we didn't vote for Independence and until that day comes, we are all right and we are all wrong.

Apart from all that..................an amazing sporting event. Simply outstanding tennis and drama and I'm back for more today - with my totally Scotland regalia and refusing to take the free Union Jacks off the guys handing them out.

We should also throw another piece of stupidity into the mix........................Scottish football fans will be close to the Davis Cup venue today wearing Irish tops as they go to watch their club team and they'll no doubt sneer across the road at those with Scotland and thse with Brittish regalia on......................yes, Scotland is an illogical mess.

Well I was a yes voter but as I say I'll happily support team gb in some sports at occasions such as this or as pointed out the Olympics when there is Scottish involvement.in London 2012.Scottish athletes contributed 13 of the 60 odd medals won by team gb.I through family involvement see alot of athletics now.see alot local kids going through the system and to the verge of selection for gb.in order to further yourself and go to the junior world champs for example you go under that banner.wasn't christian Dailly heavily involved coaching athletics a while back.even photographed with a team gb t shirt?also where does that leave you when it comes to our armed services?

if you support the British state in any way,Then you are supporting the British State,,,

The better Britain do the more it encourages Britishness..

thats why they do it....

team GB,

Mon the Brits etc..

If Britain win we get a wankfest of Britain and the UJ etc ... We are great etc etc

Thats why I want Britain to lose..

I actually dont mind England winning at all ,

id bothers me not a jot,

I can watch England play any sport happily as a neutra

l but i am for every single team that play against Britain/GB/.UK whatever the sport...

The more Britain loses the better I feel...

But heyho, thats the burden i bear.,.. others are different

what a sad way of thinking

can you not just enjoy the sport?

Make no mistake, there is not a person in this world more patriotic about Scotland than me and I was there and will be today and tomorrow fist pumping for GB. That's right GB. I feel almost zero emotion for GB but I was there. Scotland flag and t-shirt. Today my old Rugby top sponsored by MURRAY on the front - smart eh?

Unfortunately until we vote for Independence we are captured within Team GB in Olympics and Tennis, etc. That's life and nobody will stop me supporting a couple of Dumblane boys or Inverness lassies or Edinburgh individuals who are competing for medals or such.

I also supported Team Europe in the Ryder Cup...................did you and if so please explain the difference!

If these words make you uneasy this might help...........GSTQ was a disaster. They had to turn the CD up for effect when about 1% sang. Those who had Union Jacks on for the day maybe thought about it for 5 secs but I barely sw anyone even mime the words. Brilliant. When it came to the crunch..................then two bursts of Loch Lomond had mass participation a la Hampden half-time.

Spot on.

Interesting discussion. I'll be backing Scotland v Australia later. I notice that Andy didn't have a Union flag on his kit and it was also nice to see a guy with a Yes Saltire-much respect.

There were quite a few Yes saltires on Friday.

Apart from that one section of Stirling Uni muppets, I'd say Saltires easily outnumbered union flags.

The seethe some folk get at the slightest sight of the butchers apron amuses me.

I'll be a Yes voter until the day I die. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching 2 Scottish brothers playing tennis for GB.

Same way I enjoyed watching the commonwealth games. Yes; the British Commonwealth. Those 10 days in Glasgow last year were brilliant.