Labour Leadership - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

The bills would have to be put before parliament. If a majority of MPs voted against them (I suspect the TU bill will face more opposition than Trident) then they can't be put into law. Or can they? Is it more complicated than that?

You do get that the Tories have an absolute majority?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did indeed. I'm reading a book at the moment about some of the smears Wilson had to deal with. The poor guy spent half his time as Labour leader dealing with conspiracies and plots against him - some real and some imagined.

There was a theory at one point that he was a KGB sleeper agent, which grew arms and legs mainly because he had visited the USSR a few times while a junior government minister and his predecessor as Labour leader had died after a short and mysterious illness shortly after returning from a visit behind the iron curtain himself.

The BBC did a pretty decent docu-drama about Operation Clockwork Orange a few years ago (if you can accept James Bolam as Harold Wilson!).

They did indeed. I'm reading a book at the moment about some of the smears Wilson had to deal with. The poor guy spent half his time as Labour leader dealing with conspiracies and plots against him - some real and some imagined.

There was a theory at one point that he was a KGB sleeper agent, which grew arms and legs mainly because he had visited the USSR a few times while a junior government minister and his predecessor as Labour leader had died after a short and mysterious illness shortly after returning from a visit behind the iron curtain himself.

The BBC did a pretty decent docu-drama about Operation Clockwork Orange a few years ago (if you can accept James Bolam as Harold Wilson!).

I read about it ion Colin Wallaces book (he tried to whistleblow about that and kincora, got fitted up for manslaughter and decried a Walter Mitty), don't watch the BBC so would have missed it "unless sporting event"

Perhaps Trident is a bridge too far but I'd be amazed if any Labour MPs supported the government's proposed TU bill.

They will not but every Tory will and don't forget the DUP, UUP and UKIP (11 seats).

Corbyn being elected will not substantially change this parliament, its all about if he can change the next.

They will not but every Tory will and don't forget the DUP, UUP and UKIP (11 seats). Corbyn being elected will not substantially change this parliament, its all about if he can change the next.

Don't forget the SDLP, Plaid Cymru,the Green MP and, of course, the SNP. :)

Defence secretary Fallon who's department has been shipping arms or aid to countries like Iraq and Syria for Decades says

"Labour are now a serious risk to our nation’s security, our economy’s security and your family’s security.Whether it’s weakening our defences, raising taxes on jobs and earnings, racking up more debt and welfare or driving up the cost of living by printing money – Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party will hurt working people. This is a very serious moment for our country – the Conservatives will continue to deliver stability, security and opportunity for working people.”"

Defence secretary Fallon who's department has been shipping arms or aid to countries like Iraq and Syria for Decades says

"Labour are now a serious risk to our nation’s security, our economy’s security and your family’s security.Whether it’s weakening our defences, raising taxes on jobs and earnings, racking up more debt and welfare or driving up the cost of living by printing money – Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party will hurt working people. This is a very serious moment for our country – the Conservatives will continue to deliver stability, security and opportunity for working people.”"

:lol:

Don't forget the SDLP, Plaid Cymru,the Green MP and, of course, the SNP. :)

Not being funny here but this is just arithmetic. The Tories have an absolute majority (working majority of 16). If every opposition MP votes against them they still win, In the same scenario if 15 Tories abstain and they still win. I can't see a scenario will vote against the government on this subject.

Can't see UKIP (Ex-tory) voting against the Tories on TU reform.

what everyone needs to remember this is the same Jeremy corbyn that their would be no more devolution or more new powers to Scotland and he was against a 2nd referendum

No he didn't. He said it would be a matter for the Scottish people. I'd hate to see Yes comrades resort themselves to MSM type smears.