Great Wee Trip! - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Great Wee Trip!

Donaldo87

Football aside that was a cracking couple of days in Tbilisi.

It didn't disappoint as the trip I was looking forward to the most out of this campaign.

Starting with the TASA donation and the supporters game! (Don't worry i've not forgotten that I still owe a £5 for playing)

Obviously friday night was a huge disappointment but the city was something else on the walk back with everything lit up.

Some other highlights:

The amusement park - had a great afternoon up there. Some views of the city and the restaurant at the funicular was great

Peace bridge - aye its just a bridge but it was pretty cool. Same with the fountain on the other side which played music and lit up at night.

The cable cars up to the Mother Georgia statue

Cant remember the name of it but the huge church / cathedral with the golden roof.

Dont normally do any of the "touristy" stuff but really enjoyed walking about the city and seeing some sights. Even stumbled across some market selling all sorts.

The food and drink btw! Amazing. Could quite happily eat those dumpling and bread boats every day! If i had the balls and the money i'd love to open a restaurant / cafe over here selling that stuff - reckon you could make a killing.

Needless to say everything being dirt cheap helped me enjoy it all the more.

Would love to go back and explore outside Tbilisi as well.

And breathe.

Game aside, probably one of my new top 5 trips :ok:

Brilliant from start to finish..... absolutely amazing time in Kyiv, falling in love with Yerevan and Armenia (real highlight of the trip for me, and now firmly on my Scotland game wish list!) and then Tbilisi which was great (though preferred Yerevan a lot more).

Was just about broken when I dragged myself onto my flight home via Qatar..... arrived in Doha at 23:30 and was 00:45 before I reached my room..... set alarm for 4:30am for heading back to the airport, so just chilled out in the room watching the Hangover and ordered a proper Middle Eastern Kebab with a can of coke :-))

Really liked the whole region.

Agree with Wanderer that Yerevan was nicer than T'bilisi though (marginally). Baku and Istanbul were also really nice.

Standard cliche though - great time ruined only by 90 minutes.

Top tip: Never fly Azerbaijan Airlines!

Agree with Wanderer that Yerevan was nicer than T'bilisi though (marginally). Baku and Istanbul were also really nice.

Think Mariam made all the difference :ok: I seriously didn't know she was going to be with us all the way to Tbilisi then straight back to Yerevan after dropping us off..... I assumed it was a case of she would see us off then we were in the hands of the driver from that point.

If we'd won it would have been the Best Trip Ever.

Even a score draw would have put it up there.

The result and the performance will always take the shine off for me however.

This. Always look fondly on trips where we win.

Also being so buckled that I couldn't drink on match day took the shine off somewhat. But that was my own doing, and was because of a cracking Thursday day/night.

J

Was a fantastic trip meeting old friends and making new ones. Loved tbilisi especially the park above the city and the fact buildings are either new and shiny or falling doon, all added to the charm.

On way to the game we met a Georgian who took us to what I can describe as a jakeys bar with the worst toilets we had ever seen or smelt. Got 10 pints, bottle of vodka, bottle of cha cha, and pork kebabs with bread - all for the princely sum of under £15 ??

90 minutes aside really top trip and in my top 3 ??