"limited Ability" - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"limited Ability"

JECK

For some reason I've had George Burleys wise words re Kirk Broadfoot playin over in my mind in a taxi journey after watchin the game. I'm still absolutely mystified at the abject failure, the zero creativity, players who looked like they'd never played with each other before...just beggard belief at times. Let's face it our lucks run out, the team just aren't technically good enough in the final 3rd when it's its most important. Strachans papered over some cracks but there's no threat.

I get annoyed when they hit a five yard pass behind the receiving player rather than a yard in front of them. It slows it down every time. If you watch the better teams, the pass is always positioned so that the receiver can move it first time. Surely the top scottish professional footballers can do that

What concerns me is the lack of quality coming through from the next generation.

The poor standard of the Scottish league is starting to filter through to the national squad. Can't see us having a much better team in the next 5 to 10 years...

was thinking that myself, next generation looking poor at this stage.

What concerns me is the lack of quality coming through from the next generation.

The poor standard of the Scottish league is starting to filter through to the national squad. Can't see us having a much better team in the next 5 to 10 years...

I was surprised that it didn't seemed to be posted on here, but about a month back, some senior SFA official (I think) was interviewed about how the performance schools were going. He was saying how concerned he was with the quality of player coming through already, mainly that it was more of a production line of cloned footballers, rather than individual thinking skillful players. Bodes well for the future then!

I am going to get it in the neck here but here goes. Our problem is not about the quality of players. Five hours ago the players out on the pitch had got us into a good position to qualify so let's not judge the players on one dire performance.

The real problem is we only have one way of playing for results. A counter-attacking style goes out of the window when you play Georgia and we played like we hadn't a game plan. That much is obvious to me and needs sorting as soon as possible. I think it has served us well playing counter-attacking but when playing certain teams that plan will not work so Strachan has to now look to develop a Plan B.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I get annoyed when they hit a five yard pass behind the receiving player rather than a yard in front of them. It slows it down every time. If you watch the better teams, the pass is always positioned so that the receiver can move it first time. Surely the top scottish professional footballers can do that

This. Totally agree.

The best players are blessed with attributes that set them apart from the rest. The best teams do the basics really well, passing the ball well is a basic requirement for an international player. We seem to think that means gently rolled across the pitch. :(

I am going to get it in the neck here but here goes. Our problem is not about the quality of players. Five hours ago the players out on the pitch had got us into a good position to qualify so let's not judge the players on one dire performance.

The real problem is we only have one way of playing for results. A counter-attacking style goes out of the window when you play Georgia and we played like we hadn't a game plan. That much is obvious to me and needs sorting as soon as possible. I think it has served us well playing counter-attacking but when playing certain teams that plan will not work so Strachan has to now look to develop a Plan B.

I don't think you'll get it in the neck, you're quite correct.

Problem we have is that we have a squad of players of that are all of decent ability but no one stands out as being top class.

In 2007 if fletcher, Gordon , Ferguson , Hutton or McFadden had been injured in the run up to the game we would be worried.

Tonight you could have replaced the entire line up with what we had on the bench and we wouldnt be any worse off. The whole squad is just average.

No argument about not having a 'star' player but good team management/organisation and good performances can overcome that and up until tonight (mostly) that's what we had been doing.

Absolutely, and as Jim Bowen might have said 'here's what you could have won' (screen turns to reveal Lars Lagerback and his Iceland team.....) :cry:

Totally agree with this. We have one approach and one formation. Doesn't matter the opposition, or how the games going.

-Today, it was evident from the first 10 minutes that we had a problem penetrating in the final third.

-Our approach all game was to open up space out wide for a cross to the centre.

-Against a tall, defensive team with 3 centre backs like Georgia that's going to be limited in effectiveness.

-There were countless times were a short pass to the edge of the box opened up and we didn't take it. By not ever attacfking through the middle, we didn't post one shot on goal from regular play.

-This is unacceptable against the 147th best team in the world.

We need to develop a gameplan for playing atgainst teams that sit in against us. We tend to score less against the weaker teams currently.

Totally agree with this. We have one approach and one formation. Doesn't matter the opposition, or how the games going.

-Today, it was evident from the first 10 minutes that we had a problem penetrating in the final third.

-Our approach all game was to open up space out wide for a cross to the centre.

-Against a tall, defensive team with 3 centre backs like Georgia that's going to be limited in effectiveness.

-There were countless times were a short pass to the edge of the box opened up and we didn't take it. By not ever attacfking through the middle, we didn't post one shot on goal from regular play.

-This is unacceptable against the 147th best team in the world.

We need to develop a gameplan for playing atgainst teams that sit in against us. We tend to score less against the weaker teams currently.

Spot on COLT NY.

The midfield needs more creativity in matches like tonight with players with the ability to unlock defences with probing passes. At present though we don't really have that type of player. But I have no doubt we must develop a Plan B and Plan C as Plan A in some games like tonight go right out the window. It also explains why we had a narrow, nervy win against them at home to Georgia as they sat in again.

Spot on COLT NY.

The midfield needs more creativity in matches like tonight with players with the ability to unlock defences with probing passes. At present though we don't really have that type of player. But I have no doubt we must develop a Plan B and Plan C as Plan A in some games like tonight go right out the window. It also explains why we had a narrow, nervy win against them at home to Georgia as they sat in again.

We're missing Snoddy badly. I'm convinced that if he'd been fit Hull wouldn't have been relegated.He has the intelligence and creativity to unlock defences. It's also why I think we should have the likes of McCormack or Adam who can do something a bit different.

for those going on about the standard of our league being a problem...........................it doesn't seem to be causing Wales, Rep of Ire and North Ire much issues.

Just to dispel a myth about Wales - all of their team V Cyprus have played in the EPL for extended spells. Around 75% of the team that started all play for EPL clubs.

for those going on about the standard of our league being a problem...........................it doesn't seem to be causing Wales, Rep of Ire and North Ire much issues.

Ourselves(ROI), the North and Wales.....its not like we are qualifying for every tournament. This ultimately is down to our domestic leagues and underage development within our respective associations and size of playing pools and ability of opposition in each qualifying group.

While Wales and the North are doing well this time, its been 60 yrs since Wales have qualified for anything and 30 years since the North last qualified for something...people shouldnt forget that. Thats not taking anything away from their fantastic achievements this time round

I do take on board the above posts re: english investment in welsh youth....but i dont know how much is invested there and if so , that has only been the case recently.

Even in our own case....while we have got to a few tournaments and some playoffs in the last 15 years....our last really good team was the team we had which qualified us for the world cup in 2002.....thats 13 years ago..

Scotland, Us, Wales , the North and England are well behind in technical development and each country's association needs to seriously invest in a proper structure so we can all catch-up

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Ourselves(ROI), the North and Wales.....its not like we are qualifying for every tournament. This ultimately is down to our domestic leagues and underage development within our respective associations and size of playing pools and ability of opposition in each qualifying group.

While Wales and the North are doing well this time, its been 60 yrs since Wales have qualified for anything and 30 years since the North last qualified for something...people shouldnt forget that. Thats not taking anything away from their fantastic achievements this time round

I do take on board the above posts re: english investment in welsh youth....but i dont know how much is invested there and if so , that has only been the case recently.

Even in our own case....while we have got to a few tournaments and some playoffs in the last 15 years....our last really good team was the team we had which qualified us for the world cup in 2002.....thats 13 years ago..

Scotland, Us, Wales , the North and England are well behind in technical development and each country's association needs to seriously invest in a proper structure so we can all catch-up

:ok::ok::ok: