Disgrace - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Disgrace

scoobydoo

Bad result and an even worse performance but hardly a surprise. We don`t have great (or even good by Euroean standards) players in any position (Wales are like us but have Bale and Ramsey) so rely on great organisation, astute manager and great team spirit and luck (Northern Ireland for example also don`t have any outstanding players but got an easier draw, seem to have a great team spirit and organisation and maybe lower expectations). We`re desperately waiting to find a great player hence expectation with Harper, Feruz and Gauld in recent years and it looks like we`ll have to keep waiting. Anyway, even if we lose on Monday we can still make the playoffs and if we managed to qualify problems would be forgotten. I`m lucky enough to have seen us live in 1996 and 1998 and by then it was obvious we had fallen a lot compared with 80s. I always suspected we`d finish 4th in the group but still hope I`m wrong but whatever happens more has to be done to get more young Scots playing football.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said for years that we have 'issues' psychologically that the likes of Rep Ireland don't seem to have. We get strangely fearty and nervy in certain matches even when we have no reason to be. The Irish don't seem to have that issue, they're not afraid or nervous and don't talk in scared tones about 'big teams away' and such.

Fletcher is pish. End of. Flatters to deceive at best. In my opinion, we're not good enough to carry lazy players and he's a lazy player. If we're going to accept someone who's good at bringing others into the game, we might as well play a centre midfielder up front. A striker has to do one of two things... Score goals or put defenders under pressure. Fletcher does neither. The responsibility for others getting into the game lies with the midfield getting up to help him quicker.

he also can't beat a man....he has had so many chances... McCormack and Rhodes should come into the equation

Edited by Templeton_Peck

I was thinking about this earlier and agree.Looking at what we've got thus far this is the only result were I would have been disappointed beforehand, draw away in Poland, loss away to the World Champs, four points from the Irish, I would have been happy with that. It was always going to be a tight group and this was our slip up. What concerns me is the level of performance seems to be going downhill after such a positive start under Strachan.

Glad you agree - this was a game I was anxious about a year ago.The disappointment factor all to familiar!

In terms of performance level going downhill, you could probably say the same just about tonight's 90 minutes too - not just the campaign.

Why did we stop pressing the ball and let the Georgians play there way comfortably up the pitch? Far better than Scotland were managing after about 25 minutes. When Hutton and others looked for a pass and there was nothing on, they had to go backwards. Brown pretty much did this anyway to save time!

No more Robertson/Hutton going down the wings, no more high line and keeping the ball at the back on the half way line. I hate it when we don't press - do you thnk they were told to press for just 15/20 minutes or told to stop at some point......or ran out of steam in the heat??

I'm probably not qualified to see where it went wrong and maybe didn't recognise the genius tactical switch that the Georgians made??

It's not just tonight though mate is it

We could catalogue a whole load of qualifying and finals tournament nightmares that Kay's wouldnt beat since ive been on this planet

Tonight is just another to add to the list which will grow, not lessen, till i leave it

I know buddy, but I don't see why we are the laughing stock of the world when we are far from being world beaters.

I couldn't imagine any decent team thinking "oh God, we've got Scotland " when the groups are made.

I think we as fans put ourselves into some super team at times when at the end of the day, we can be as bad as anyone on the day as we can be as good.

If we were more regular in beating teams like France, Croatia etc, then maybe other teams would take note.

We ARE the best supporters in the world, but the passion, will and desire we display every game is not reciprocated by the players.

We deserve much better but WGS can only do so much with the players who in all honesty, not one would be considered for any major team.

Have just noticed that in first half when Robertson puts a peach of a ball in the middle then Steven Fletcher again goes for it with his left when the ball is coming from the left and surely should be going for it with his right. he did this against Ireland and England as well...

Noticed this as well. And remembered about the previous times. I've backed Fletcher in the past. But think I've had enough now. Not that I think anyone is capable of doing any better.

Canned after game and that was the worst I've experienced.

Mulgrew and centre half. off

Brown at centre midfield.

Hanley and Mccarthy

Poor management.

McCarthy? Must be pished.

For what it's worth I think most of us would've been happy with the starting line up. It was the second half when we went 3-6-1 when it was quite obvious the players did not have an utter clue what they were doing where the criticism lies. The first half we at least competed. After strachans changes we were an absolute shambles.

I feel your pain. We are better than that. Wee Gordon has done well for us but the blame for this match, the second half anyways and indeed the first half in the rep which could've cost us lies exclusively at his door

Edited by flynnyboy

I've said for years that we have 'issues' psychologically that the likes of Rep Ireland don't seem to have. We get strangely fearty and nervy in certain matches even when we have no reason to be. The Irish don't seem to have that issue, they're not afraid or nervous and don't talk in scared tones about 'big teams away' and such.

It's independence.

A No voter I ken, sent me a text saying "So, if we were Indy we'd have won eh? LOL"

No reply - but yes, we would have in many ways than in a football match.

It's independence.

A No voter I ken, sent me a text saying "So, if we were Indy we'd have won eh? LOL"

No reply - but yes, we would have in many ways than in a football match.

If its any consolation, the worse we do at football the better we seem to do politically. Regularly qualifying through the height of thaycherism in the 80s and 90s. Tailing off when we got devo. Strachan brings the team back just in time to bottle the referendum. And now Sturgeon's FM with 56 MPs we are shite at football again...

Not a fan of politics being imposed on sport myself, so I'll leave it at that.

Tonight's result is still eating away at me, so very disappointing. The level of our performance just as much as the result, at least if we had battered them and been unlucky...we threw away points in Georgia before a 'big game' at home before, we never learn.

Tonight was all about the result. Frankly the performance didn't matter as long as we won. As the game wore on it became about getting something.

On all counts we completely failed. It was atrocious and indeed despite previous horror shows this could potentially be one of the most disastrous and far reaching defeats in a long time. England will win the World Cup Qualifying group leaving us in the far more difficult (than the Euro's) play off scenario given how that works. We would therefore in all likelihood be staring at a further 4 year cycle before the Euro's come around again and a minimum of 22 years in the championship wilderness.

We had done a more than solid job in the group up until tonight but we played with no desire or passion or intensity and zero intelligence all over the park culminating in a horrific defeat. How we let that rank poor team actually beat us (0-0 should have been the absolute worse case scenario) is beyond me. Baffling that Strachan stuck with Fletcher so long given his pathetic contribution when Thumbelina who has been on fire for Celtic sat on the bench. Just bizarre. It was brutal to watch as our qualification slipped away.

And yet.........I've always had a feeling that we will summon a performance and beat Poland at Hampden which would almost definitely mean we finish 3rd and a play off place.

It's Scotland we are talking about here and let's face it nothing was ever going to be straightforward and come easy. If there's away to put us all through the ringer we will manage it! My prediction is defeat on Monday then 2 wins seeing us into the play offs!

Edited by Hendricks

Surprised no one has mentioned the 30 degree heat. Get over it man. We lost. But let's get real. We are not world beaters and don't think we will ever be. The psyche ain't there. But one things for sure our nation will be known throughout the world and those of us that follow our team make sure Scotland is known as one of the friendliest nations in the world. We are the ambassadors and that's what makes following our National team so special. Win lose or draw.

Is that a piss take?! I really hope it is but dunno how anyone could be in the mood for a piss take after watching that shite!!

That was an absolute abomination. Georgia are absolutely brutal. The team of 10 years ago was respectable and I could accept us going there and struggling against arveladze etc but that Georgia team is brutal.

It's simply criminal not to take 3 points from that match. To not take any points is unforgivable. We have undone a lot of the good work we have done in this group.

Now we need a miracle based on the performance last night.

James Forrest?!!

Edited by bruce778

I get your point, but that's hardly reason IMO to say we are the laughing stock of the world.

I disagree with that.

We had a shocker of a performance, granted, and tensions are very high with shirt fuses added to fuel it further...but...it's a setback at the end of the day and we can all make excuses and blame the world but it's no gonna make any difference.

We were let down by bad tactics and subs by WGS and the players performance, attitude, effort etc from the players.

Things do need to change at the SFA but God knows how that will happen.

someone above wrote georgia have won 5 games in 8 years. 2 against scotland.