Overbooked Flight Ist - Tbs - Page 2 - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Overbooked Flight Ist - Tbs

snoopyhill

So out of the other 17, not one of you offered to travel with him rather than him going alone?

Glad I'm not pals with you lot

Ehhh?

So because an airline over booked and one person didn't get on the flight you would then expect another from that group of 18 to VOLUNTARILY give up their flight too, have to then book a flight to London on the day, have to then book a further flight from London to Malaga, again on the day of travel, all out of their own pocket seeing that were doing this voluntarily and it wasn't the airlines duty to provide the person who couldn't get on the flight with a mate to travel with.

Ohh and by voluntarily giving up their outbound flight they would also invalidate their inbound flight.

And their is a good chance if they did give up their flight then the airline would probably end up making the person who missed out originally now be put on the original flight rather than bearing the cost of putting them on two extra flights.

Great logic!

Happened to me years ago going to the game in Moscow. Gatwick-Moscow was overbooked, I volunteered to get offloaded and got £200 in compensation plus flown Gatwick-Frankfurt-Moscow in business class. Arrived in the hotel bar in Moscow about an hour behind my mates.

Ehhh?

So because an airline over booked and one person didn't get on the flight you would then expect another from that group of 18 to VOLUNTARILY give up their flight too, have to then book a flight to London on the day, have to then book a further flight from London to Malaga, again on the day of travel, all out of their own pocket seeing that were doing this voluntarily and it wasn't the airlines duty to provide the person who couldn't get on the flight with a mate to travel with.

Ohh and by voluntarily giving up their outbound flight they would also invalidate their inbound flight.

And their is a good chance if they did give up their flight then the airline would probably end up making the person who missed out originally now be put on the original flight rather than bearing the cost of putting them on two extra flights.

Great logic!

Pretty sure the group of 18 could have had a whip round for the volunteer. It's called being decent mates.

You obviously don't understand that though but fair enough.

Edited by Count Duckula

Pretty sure the group of 18 could have had a whip round for the volunteer. It's called being decent mates.

You obviously don't understand that though but fair enough.

A whip round for what ?

Sorry, now edited, I think I know what you mean.

Edited by fringo

A load of us got bumped off flight from Vienna to Skopje in 2008. Had "standby" on the ticket.

Got put on a flight to Pristina, with a bus arranged to take us from there to Skopje.

Me and another guy (a young student I didnt know) decided to complain, hoping for free bevvy on the plane or something.

We got 250 euros each :ok: but I dont think the rest of the folk got anything? :(

My flight from Amsterdam to Kiev on Wednesday was overbooked and I was initially told there might not be a seat for me.

When I explained to the lassie that I had a connection in Kiev she managed to get me a seat. Being a few hours early might have helped.

Saw a few TA standing at the security gate when we were boarding so I guess they were on the reserve list. No idea if they got on or not but the flight was stowed.

Does checking in online help you avoid this sort of crap?

I didn't, but will in future.

My flight from Amsterdam to Kiev on Wednesday was overbooked and I was initially told there might not be a seat for me.

When I explained to the lassie that I had a connection in Kiev she managed to get me a seat. Being a few hours early might have helped.

Saw a few TA standing at the security gate when we were boarding so I guess they were on the reserve list. No idea if they got on or not but the flight was stowed.

Does checking in online help you avoid this sort of crap?

I didn't, but will in future.

yup - airline knows you are coming - only way you would get bumped is if business class or frequent flyers with "guaranteed" seats rocked up

yup - airline knows you are coming - only way you would get bumped is if business class or frequent flyers with "guaranteed" seats rocked up

or check in late if you fancy getting bumped

sometimes i try and check in late to see if i can get bumped to business class hoping all the economy are taken and airline give me upgrade due to my frequent flyer

This is hard to say as a resident in Greek Cyprus but well done Turkish Airlines after being bumped from my 7am Sunday flight to 5.15pm Sunday flight they arranged 100euro compensation and 50euros to spend in airport vouchers collected in Istanbul..but I wanted more....

The late flight meant I missed Cyprus v Belgium (10euro ticket refunded) and my lift home so a taxi costing 90euros would be needed....it was waiting for me at the airport in North Cyprus on my arrival at 1am......