Which Bar Is In The Tennents "caledonia" Advert? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which Bar Is In The Tennents "caledonia" Advert?

If I remember way back then it was called Bianco's.

On a night out we "lost" a mate in there wasn't till years later it turned out he fell asleep in a cleaners cupboard down stairs !

That's the name. I remember it had a series of still photos from the advert behind the bar.

It was Crosslands in the West End of Glasgow. Don't think it's there anymore.

I'm not sure what Crosslands is but I was always under the impression that most of the pub scenes in Trainspotting were shot in the place that stood on it's own at Partick Cross, just over from the bottom of Byres Rd. Maybe that was the name of the place?

And I'm 99.9% certain that the toilet scene was shot in The Gunner, in Muirhouse, as it's not only the shittiest pub in Edinburgh but was also Irvine Welsh's local.

That's the name. I remember it had a series of still photos from the advert behind the bar.

I'm not sure what Crosslands is but I was always under the impression that most of the pub scenes in Trainspotting were shot in the place that stood on it's own at Partick Cross, just over from the bottom of Byres Rd. Maybe that was the name of the place?

And I'm 99.9% certain that the toilet scene was shot in The Gunner, in Muirhouse, as it's not only the shittiest pub in Edinburgh but was also Irvine Welsh's local.

Crosslands was on Queen Margaret Drive and was the pub where they're all sitting upstairs and Begbie throws his pint over his shoulder. Used to sit in that spot when I lived round the corner from it.

According to Google it's still open. Been ten years since i've been along there.

Edited by Al1978

It is the one next to Frasers. I can't remember the name of it either but it's now the Angel's Share.

Front doors in the wrong place, looking from that camera angle on the overview shot it would be far right not in the middle. I'd say it's more like the mitre but still don't think so. Not convinced it's embra.

Front doors in the wrong place, looking from that camera angle on the overview shot it would be far right not in the middle. I'd say it's more like the mitre but still don't think so. Not convinced it's embra.

Too big to be the mitre.

You're thinking of the nightclub scene which was filmed in and outside the old Volcano which sat on Benalder Street which is just at the bottom of Byres Road. It was flattened not long after those scenes were filmed I think.

Looks very similar to the Acanthus now a Chinese next to the lrt place at Waverley

Certainly not the Mitre. Could be the Acanthus though, wasn't a haunt of mine, but did look quite a bit like that.

Still think it's Biancos rather than Acanthus. Acanthus was wide open when you walked through the doors, Biancos was narrowish like the bar in the vid looks to be, you can see the walls on either side of the bar and it also had those wee round tables crammed quite close together like in the vid. Acanthus had a lot more room IMO.

• 4 years later...
On 8/30/2015 at 1:43 PM, aaid said:

Makes perfect sense. The actor playing the Scots boy in the advert was Irish, following that logic the pub which was supposed to be in Edinburgh may have actually been in Dublin.

You're right that Seamus Gubbins is Irish but he lived in Glasgow. Frequented the excellent Humpff Family music sessions in the Vickie Bar at the Brigait as did many of Glasgow's actors back in the day. I'm pretty sure he played bodhran at those sessions too. He was a really nice guy and I remember him doing a MacBeth monologue at a community event in a Glasgow college too. 

3 hours ago, Unbroken said:

You're right that Seamus Gubbins is Irish but he lived in Glasgow. Frequented the excellent Humpff Family music sessions in the Vickie Bar at the Brigait as did many of Glasgow's actors back in the day. I'm pretty sure he played bodhran at those sessions too. He was a really nice guy and I remember him doing a MacBeth monologue at a community event in a Glasgow college too. 

Welcome Seamus.