Benefit Fraud - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real 'parasites' here are the democratically elected government ministers and senior decision makers who think the concept of sanctions is some sort of incentive towards finding employment and enforce a target driven culture in an organisation whose role is supppose to be to help people in a vulnerable position (although, as phart has pointed out, it is not directly relevant to this case). Very few people go into jobs deliberately to be a c*nt to people.

Sorry yes I should have been clearer with my abuse guess things like this gets my back up after what my mother went through

So if the wife is genuinely disabled then this stress will help her? If it's not your job to detect benefit fraud then leave it alone. There are people paid to do this.

If the wife is genuinely disabled then I'm sure the authorities will be able to establish that fairly quickly. Based on the OP this couple have wangled two council houses, no doubt denying someone else on the waiting list . Doesn't sound fair to me.

Ditch their politics? Why? Based on the info you've provided I don't see how you can know the wife is fit as a fiddle as you say.

In terms of the guy I don't think anyone would condemn someone cheating the system whatever their politics.

There's playing the game and cheating (stealing). One is ok the other it theft of my taxes paid.

J

If the wife is genuinely disabled then I'm sure the authorities will be able to establish that fairly quickly. Based on the OP this couple have wangled two council houses, no doubt denying someone else on the waiting list . Doesn't sound fair to me.

No it's been established , Eddard is wondering whether he should anonymously start a review process based on his own sight-based diagnosis and some rumours, plus whatever other information not included in the thread.

Grass.

As has been mentioned, benefit cheats and tax cheats are the same in my book.

However the tax avoidance/cheating is far worse and deprives the treasury of more revenue, and that's a fact.

I suspect that you are correct.

It would be interesting to see the cost of the ultra rich avoiding tax compared to the cost of fraudulent benefit claims.

It would be interesting to see the cost of the ultra rich avoiding tax compared to the cost of fraudulent benefit claims.

It's not even close. Yet people are more pissed off about average joe fiddling the system instead of Gary Barlow. The richer you are the more you can be forgiven or ignored.

First and foremost - benefit fraud is minimal in comparison with what the media would have you think.

Ive been a fraud officer with what was the DSS in the past. Amount of people working and claiming - very few. Most fraud these days is related to housing benefit with landlords and tenants bumping up rent to the max.

As for the shyte that these claimants are "ripping off the taxpayer" - the Govt has a welfare budget that varies - the amount of benefit unclaimed far outweighs the amount of benefit fraudulently claimed. So in effect the "taxpayer" is making money.

Take a look at most benefit claimants - are they the media hyped scrounger with loads of kids, TV's etc- no they are in the vast minority - most are pensioners who are skint and in receipt of pension credit.

People like Eddard are just taking in by the Daily Mail type crap - Eddard is renowned as the TAMB village idiot anyway.

As for jobs being out there - well my daughter lives in Newcastle - has a degree but has been unemployed for the last year - only two interviews - now doing voluntary work.

When you see the numbers for Job Seeker's Allowance decreasing - ask yourself why they don't publish the increase in Employment Support Allowance. The cynical among us would hazard a guess that the deliberate reduction of JSA figures prior to the election followed by an increase post election - would simply be moving people from one benefit to another - quite an informed guess though.

Why doe not government ever make an effort to reclaim tax - they keep saying they will but in the end they never do . GB is corrupt from the top down.

Edited by irnbruman

Grassing someone up could actually cost the system (and so taxpayers) a lot...there will be the costs of the people investigating then the police then the lengthy judicial process, legal aid, and maybe ultimately locking him up for weeks or months at several hundred pounds a week and then when released he will be even more unemployable and continue to cost us all untold benefits for the rest of his life.

Who gains ??

Plus if the person he is caring for DOES actually need care then lots of extra costs will be incurred trying to look after her.

If she does need care and the reporting of him proves mistaken they will still sanction him anyway, they only need the tiniest of excuses now and they both lose out.

And again will cause US added caring costs.

And if she is fit as a fiddle and so is he then just let boredom and insufficient funds finally prompt at least one of the to find a job and all problems solved.

Benefit fraud isn't insignificant nor is it acceptable - it is essentially stealing - but compared to tax which is either avoided, evaded or uncollected it is minimal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/21/uk-benefits-crackdown-tax-gap_n_6019756.html

http://www.theweek.co.uk/62461/which-costs-more-benefit-fraud-or-tax-avoidance

I guess as well it depends on the extent of benefit fraud. Something like a guy doing an on cash in hand job now and again ( ie once every couple of weeks) say like decorating a room for an old dear and her slipping him 40 quid and not reporting it I would just ignore but if he was doing it every day and still claiming the dole I would report it

Benefit Fraud is insignificant in the scheme of things. I mentioned before the amount of benefit unclaimed dwarfs the amount of benefit claimed fraudulently. Check the figures mate.

That is similar to the point I was trying to make (I must have skipped past your post, apologies), i.e. at face value it is a lot of money - over a billion pounds - but the amount of unpaid or uncollected tax is far higher. Fair comment about unclaimed state benefits - I think that runs to tens of billions too.

I guess as well it depends on the extent of benefit fraud. Something like a guy doing an on cash in hand job now and again ( ie once every couple of weeks) say like decorating a room for an old dear and her slipping him 40 quid and not reporting it I would just ignore but if he was doing it every day and still claiming the dole I would report it

Aye, those kind of amounts really are washers and most likely to be re-invested straight back into the local economy anyway.

see the back to work figures have finally been released . grim reading.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/un-to-investigate-uk-over-human-rights-abuses-against-disabled-people-caused-by-welfare-reform-10478536.html

"More than 4,000 people died within six weeks of being found “fit for work”, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has revealed.

Figures released today show that between December 2011 to February 2014, 4,010 people died after being told they should find work following a “Work Capability Assessment”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/27/benefits-death-claimants-welfare-ids_n_8047424.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/un-to-investigate-uk-over-human-rights-abuses-against-disabled-people-caused-by-welfare-reform-10478536.html

"More than 4,000 people died within six weeks of being found “fit for work”, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has revealed.

Figures released today show that between December 2011 to February 2014, 4,010 people died after being told they should find work following a “Work Capability Assessment”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/27/benefits-death-claimants-welfare-ids_n_8047424.html

It's kinda fitting that these numbers come out around the same time that the UK media are celebrating "our" victory over Japan. It's pretty much the same criteria that the Japanese used for POWs. If they are not dead they are fit to work.

Makes grim reading I agree although not sure if these number of deaths levels would be any different under the old system. All the more important to ensure those who are defrauding and cheating are dealt with don't you agree?

That is similar to the point I was trying to make (I must have skipped past your post, apologies), i.e. at face value it is a lot of money - over a billion pounds - but the amount of unpaid or uncollected tax is far higher. Fair comment about unclaimed state benefits - I think that runs to tens of billions too.

Aye, those kind of amounts really are washers and most likely to be re-invested straight back into the local economy anyway.

I believe the ratios are fairly steady. For every £ of benefit fraud there is about ten times that amount of unclaimed entitled benefits and about 100 times that amount of unpaid tax. The absolute numbers have changed but the ratios have been pretty consistent over the past 40 years.

Makes grim reading I agree although not sure if these number of deaths levels would be any different under the old system. All the more important to ensure those who are defrauding and cheating are dealt with don't you agree?

I am assuming you just deliberately not getting the point? I don't think you are that daft.

It's simple - The Establishment victimises those on benefits and refugees to divert the attention away from tax avoidance and evasion by big corporations that actually cost the treasury considerably more. Doesn't help that it's a Tory government that's in Westminster just now and that's kinda their "thing."

Rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer - right there in the cliche script.

Rule Britannia and all that...