Led Lighting - Worthwhile? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Led Lighting - Worthwhile?

Got quite a lot of spotlight type lights (gu10 bulbs) in my house, and thinking I should start replacing them with LED bulbs.

Few questions that I thought this font of all knowledge could answer...

Can you mix LED bulbs with normal bulbs (provided they're all 240v)?

Is their a significant energy saving?

Is the performance the same?

Which leads to my main question, is it worth replacing ALL the bulbs in one go? Or just as required?

It took me a while to get into energy saving bulbs, as I hated the early ones that took 20 minutes to warm up, so I'm a bit sceptical.

Don't know specifics, but some thoughts are (having replaced about 22 bulbs in one go).

They very rarely blow. My GU10 bulbs were blowing at least one a week. I've now had my LED ones in for about 6 months and not one has blown.

If your GU10s are inset into plasterboard they will be drying it out and it will eventually crumble. Because LEDs are significantly cooler it supposedly doesn't do this.

I didn't see any difference in light levels.

I also just bought mine online and not a brand name. IIRC cost me £30-40, but I'd have far surpassed that in bulb replacement for my old bulbs by now.

In terms of power used, IIRC the electrician who suggested doing this said that one one cost less to run than a lot of GU10s. I think the number he gave was about 15.

I was also wary, but really happy I made the move.

They last about 10 times longer and will save 25% of the electricity. So even if you pay more at the start you get it back eventually. They actually look better than normal spots in my opinion. It's a much whiter light. Be careful about buying them based on wattage though because the numbers don't match up. a 9w led is the same as a 45w standard spot light.

You can mix them but it might look weird. Better just to go for it and replace them all.

Saw some for £3 a pop in one of the supermarkets this week, either Asda or Saintsbury's.

Think was equivalent of traditional 50W bulb

That the going rate these days?

Was £5 each in BM for a Phillips one.

They had a cheap looking one in the other shop for £5 too.

Will have a look online, because I'm wanting 30.

:shocked:

Was £5 each in BM for a Phillips one.

They had a cheap looking one in the other shop for £5 too.

Will have a look online, because I'm wanting 30.

:shocked:

Well LIFX is about £50 a pop, so you'll be needing at least £1,500 for this (worthwhile) upgrade.

I do a lot of this for work and advise people to change..

The cost saving is 10 pounds per year per bulb in electricity saving if the light is on for 3 hours a day,

So if you have 10 bulbs in your kitchen that are on for 3 hours a day, you will save 100 pounds a year in electricity by changing them

Resoursefficiencyscotland have all the info u need. (i cant paste on here somehow or would give u direct link...),.....

the bulbs cost around 3 for a tenner in B and Q ,,,,

I cant believe anyone is stupid enough to have non LED bulbs in their house...

get them changed.... u could save enough for an away game.... :ok::ok::ok: .

Don't mix them, it is very obvious the difference in light colour. LED are much whiter.

Depending on the type. There is a varying chart from warm white (yellowish) to cool white (bright white).

I think that's what they're called anyway.

The brightness is from 2000k to 5000k (roughly), with the lower range being the warmer ones.

But in answer to the original question,yes,do it.

Depending on the type. There is a varying chart from warm white (yellowish) to cool white (bright white).

I think that's what they're called anyway.

The brightness is from 2000k to 5000k (roughly), with the lower range being the warmer ones.

But in answer to the original question,yes,do it.

I'm hoping to go home to my box of bulbs tonight.

:)

I think you need to get out more :lol:

:lol:

I was genuinely disappointed to find out my wife had left for work before the post came.

Need to pick them up at the post office now.

Changing 10 light bulbs is tomorrow evenings entertainment now, which will probably be as entertaining as my entertainment last night, a visit to Bayview.

:lol:

I was genuinely disappointed to find out my wife had left for work before the post came.

Need to pick them up at the post office now.

Changing 10 light bulbs is tomorrow evenings entertainment now, which will probably be as entertaining as my entertainment last night, a visit to Bayview.

And hopefully a lot brighter.

• 2 years later...