Glass Cheques - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glass Cheques

I got a case of bottles of tennents years ago, and it was truly disgusting! I know tennents isn't everyone's cup of T, but cold from the tap or even a can I quite like it.

I thought there was something wrong with it, but think it must be made somewhere else or something?

like a cold pint of tennents myself even a can but anytime I huv hud a bottle its been rank

No wee corner shops left in WK, as only really Co-op and the Spar, and neither of them sell them any more.... also since I stopped buying a rag in the morning on way to work, do not stop any any little stores that would sell them (Howies garage in Kilwinning probably the only place off hand I can think where I still notice them, but I do not go there regularly)

What has the murrys next to the bank, the wee shop next to the Mayfair and the wee shop out the scheme all shut? They all used to sell glass bottles of irn bru

What has the murrys next to the bank, the wee shop next to the Mayfair and the wee shop out the scheme all shut? They all used to sell glass bottles of irn bru

Murrys is a shadow of what it used to be like (ie there is no longer half a garden center and pet shop crammed into the back)...... the shop next to Mayfair doesn't sell Irn Bru bottles (really only run in there to get a bottle of wine or beer when going home via the Kebab shop :-)) )... shop in the scheme is now a bog standard mini-market which I have not been near in years (but every week we are getting leaflets through the door saying what offers they have one that week)

The local Spar is now the town post office, so in there a number of times during the week.

If they do, they are well hidden at the back, whereas the plastic bottles are on full display stacked up to the roof as soon as you walk in.

Edited by wanderer

Is there a scientific reason for it eg. gas pressure?

By the same token beer out a glass bottle tastes much better than from a can or plastic bottle...

One of the bru family members said in the paper the other day that it does indeed better from a glass bottle, as the gasses find it a lot more difficult to escape from glass than it is from plastic.

Or something along those lines,nothing to do with the water.

• 3 years later...

Just read some woman on twitter complaining about having to use  her car to return the items to get monies..

Went on about extra car journeys etc

OK am i missing something in that the empty vessels will need replacing at a shop and you get your refunds from an err ... shop. 

This system has been on the go with our EU neighbors for decades and they seem to be able to do it.