Is Tblisi Any Good? - Page 3 - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Tblisi Any Good?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cos the weather is hot? :P

Seriously though, i'm a wee bit worried about getting the lurgy. Hell, i'm the guy that ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia after the last time we played in Amsterdam!

Like bristolhibby said though, a lot of these mystery illnesses will just be caused by too many days on the batter. Gonna try and take it easy(ier) this trip.

"Take it easy" LOL!

Get those sachets of Lucozade. Mix it up before you go out then knock it back before bed.

The heat is a concern BTW.

J

Cos the weather is hot? :P

Seriously though, i'm a wee bit worried about getting the lurgy. Hell, i'm the guy that ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia after the last time we played in Amsterdam!

Like bristolhibby said though, a lot of these mystery illnesses will just be caused by too many days on the batter. Gonna try and take it easy(ier) this trip.

Gonna try and take it easy(ier) this trip. Yellow card offence IMO Dave.

If you fancy a bit swimming then there are a couple of pools to cool down.

The Laguna Vere Pool is an clean open air, 50 by 25 metre pool - 10 GEL and extra 5GEL for first time visitors for cursory medical inspection.

The Radison Blu Iveia Hotel super sky-level pool is open to non-guests for 90 GEL (about £25)

and the Courtyard by Marriot is also open to non-guests for 40 GEL

or you can try the famed sulphur baths and get a massage

If you fancy a bit swimming then there are a couple of pools to cool down.

The Laguna Vere Pool is an clean open air, 50 by 25 metre pool - 10 GEL and extra 5GEL for first time visitors for cursory medical inspection.

The Radison Blu Iveia Hotel super sky-level pool is open to non-guests for 90 GEL (about £25)

and the Courtyard by Marriot is also open to non-guests for 40 GEL

or you can try the famed sulphur baths and get a massage

Isn't that the pick-up point? Can you sign in guests to the pool (about 2,000 of them)?

Hi all

I'm posting on behalf of the British Georgian Society (BGS) - hence the User Name.

Since going to the match in Tbilisi in October 2007, I've been back to Georgia 6 times. I've made a good number of friends there and I'm also involved with the BGS - which exists to promote friendship/cultural links etc with Georgia.

http://www.britishgeorgiansociety.org/

If anyone has anything they'd like to know about Tbilisi/Georgia either before setting off or once there, I'd be very happy to do whatever I can to try to answer questions or help (subject to Wi-Fi connection once in Tbilisi). My Georgian's not up to much (yet) though I'm trying. The one question I certainly can't answer is about tickets - as a mere "one-pointer" I'm on the waiting list, but I live in hope. I'll be there come what may, though.

I've got to declare an interest here, but a friend of mine in Tbilisi produces an annual travel/tourism magazine about Georgia. I haven't got any hard copies (they're all in Georgia...) but, in case anyone might find it useful to have a look at, it's also online (free).

For those who haven't been before, it might give you a flavour.

http://issuu.com/ and then search for "The Georgian 2015 Lela Khartishvili" (I can't get the direct link to work)

Being new here, I wasn't able to start a "British Georgian Society" topic for any questions etc, but, if anyone thinks that might be a good idea, they're welcome to do so.

I've always seemed to be OK with the tap water - but, to be on the safe side, bottled water's widely available and, like everything else, pretty cheap. Easily the biggest brand is "Borjomi" which comes from a spa town a couple of hours drive from Tbilisi. It's very mineral-y and not everyone's cup of tea - but I guess you need to try it at least once.

Better still, stick to the white wine - Georgia's unusual in that white wine seems to be more macho than red. And don't miss the "chacha"...

I've always seemed to be OK with the tap water - but, to be on the safe side, bottled water's widely available and, like everything else, pretty cheap. Easily the biggest brand is "Borjomi" which comes from a spa town a couple of hours drive from Tbilisi. It's very mineral-y and not everyone's cup of tea - but I guess you need to try it at least once.

Better still, stick to the white wine - Georgia's unusual in that white wine seems to be more macho than red. And don't miss the "chacha"...

Never tried "chacha" myself but seen the affect it had on two of my traveling companions.

God, that was brutal stuff. Lassie in the Sheraton Hotel told us it was 'custom' to buy a bottle for the table.

I don't know the area round the zoo so well. Don't forget there was the really bad flood there earlier in the year - zoo animals roaming wild, loss of life, people losing their homes etc. There's a thing called the Tbilisi Hippo Fund raising money for the clean up. It was all very traumatic for people living round there - a real natural disaster.

In 2007, the main area where lots of people seemed to end up was in Shardeni Street - near the cathedral and not far from Freedom Square. It's probably the most touristy part of town, but by international standards it's not that touristy or ruinously expensive.

From talking to people since, there was a massive amount of goodwill generated by the TA visit in 2007 - people still remember it well. You can get unlucky anywhere - but, in my experience, Georgia's a country where a bit of goodwill and openness goes a long way.