Tamb Running Thread - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Loch Ness marathon was mostly downhill??

Anyone ever done the Cape Wrath marathon? Dunno if they still do it these days. Think it started on the Cape Wrath side of the Kyle, then ran out and back to the Cape, then you had to stop and wait for the ferry to take you back over the Kyle to finish the last few miles in to Durness. There are a lot of serious inclines on that one. And the stop/start for the ferry would be a killer.

I thought the Loch Ness marathon was mostly downhill??

Anyone ever done the Cape Wrath marathon? Dunno if they still do it these days. Think it started on the Cape Wrath side of the Kyle, then ran out and back to the Cape, then you had to stop and wait for the ferry to take you back over the Kyle to finish the last few miles in to Durness. There are a lot of serious inclines on that one. And the stop/start for the ferry would be a killer.

It's still on - thinking of doing this next year.

yeah i finished just after 3pm and it was getting pretty warm by that stage

the hill on around 18 miles was an absolute killer

As someone who really doesn't agree with warm weather I was delighted with the conditions for the 10k. Started getting warmer approaching the final straight then was pretty warm in the park afterwards.

Clyde Stride Ultra Marathon completed in 5h 37min for 4th male, which was a bit of a surprise and I’m well chuffed with. I don’t even remember seeing the 1st woman or the first 2 men at the start!

Was bang on my 2h 20min schedule at the 18m mark and in 3rd place but then had an absolute horrible spell up 27 miles. Tried everything from gels to sweets and drinking lots but it just got worse. Then my crew fed me another gel which made me violently sick. But then 500ml of flat coke and I was off again having somehow only lost 20min on my schedule, but dropped 2 places.

Managed to only loose a couple more minutes off my scheduled time in the last 12miles and picked off a place. Was going flat out for 3rd but he mysteriously managed to go from 2min ahead and catching quickly to having finished 10-12min in front!

Can’t complain as it’s only my 2nd ultra and the first was a very painful experience!

Lovely route from Partick to New Lanark but dodging traffic at 9am on a Saturday morning through the centre of Glasgow was an experience!

Still struggling to walk today, stairs take a while and standing up / sitting down brings me out in a cold sweat!

gents, do any of you use the age grading to rate your run times? I only read about it today as a means to evaluate how good a time it is relative to age.

I love a good stat, and am thinking of adding it to my running times spreadsheet, but want to know whether it is a pretty respected tool to use before i do it.

ta

The time was 45:45 for 10k by the way, Is that good enough time for a 25 year old who runs reasonably consistently?

Edited by yourname

I'd say that it's up to you - when I run, the only person I run against is myself.

As a 25 year old, you should be (near enough) at your peak, and I can't see this grading doing anything but making your performance "worse".

As an aside, I've decided to award myself a 47:8.25 for Loch Ness at the weekend. Good going from me.

It's a good idea when you are at your best to post one really, really slow time.

Then when you are pushing 50 or 60 you will still have the satisfaction of beating your 'personal worst'.

I am 55 and ran my quickest ever 10km on Sunday......even though I am mid 'push'!

yeah i finished just after 3pm and it was getting pretty warm by that stage

the hill on around 18 miles was an absolute killer

That hill killed me. Ended up with 03:54:03.

Will be back next year though to try and beat that.

That hill killed me. Ended up with 03:54:03.

Will be back next year though to try and beat that.

well done you must have been well inside the top 1000

what was your time at halfway?

surprised to see the guy that won it went out in 1.11.06 and back in 1.11.35

thought the second half of the race was a lot tougher

i suppose when you are that fast you don't notice the hills !!!!

well done you must have been well inside the top 1000

what was your time at halfway?

surprised to see the guy that won it went out in 1.11.06 and back in 1.11.35

thought the second half of the race was a lot tougher

i suppose when you are that fast you don't notice the hills !!!!

Yeah, I found the second half certainly took a lot more out of me - made sure not to reduce to a walk on that hill at 18ish miles in for fear of not being able to pick the pace back up.

I was 1:45:13 at the halfway, 3:44:55 at the finish, therefore 1:59:42 for the second half.

Yeah, I found the second half certainly took a lot more out of me - made sure not to reduce to a walk on that hill at 18ish miles in for fear of not being able to pick the pace back up.

I was 1:45:13 at the halfway, 3:44:55 at the finish, therefore 1:59:42 for the second half.

I was 01:42:23 for the first half. Had to walk for a bit at that hill and just couldn't get going at any real pace after that.

It's mental to think someone can run that in a little over 2 hours

Have just done my second fastest 5k - a lunchtime run with a colleague who kept up a really good pace.

It was a complete loop to the starting point but with a fair amount of descent and then ascent - about 50m down then back up again. How does this impact on the time? Does the easier downhill part make up for the tougher uphill part?

The time was 45:45 for 10k by the way, Is that good enough time for a 25 year old who runs reasonably consistently?

It depends on how long you've been running, how much mileage you run per week, etc. I'd say sub 40 minutes is starting to get respectable for someone who is actively training. But if you go to a local race you generally need to be sub-36 for any serious club runners to start thinking you're "good".

Like deecie said, it's best just to compare times against your own PBs and try to get improvement.