Was Ireland The Best Ever Away Trip For The Ta? - Page 3 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Was Ireland The Best Ever Away Trip For The Ta?

For me Germany was way better. We did 6 cities in 3 days, brilliant fun plus the huge buzz around the impending referendum and of course being in Germany which IMO is a fantastic country full of excellent people... the atmosphere at the game was amazing, Anya's goal was brilliant and, well, everything was just brilliant!

Dublin was good, but I am just feel the place is a bit scruffy and tbh I would only go back if we play them again. No a place I'd visit out of choice.

Edited by Bzzzz

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malaga 82 [spain] - Going in on the train from Torremolinos was some experience with people hanging out the doors and windows and the police lining the street when we arrived to contain us and then people just walking off in different directions, the police had no idea what to do. Things were a bit raw in those days, nothing was organised it just happened, in our hotel we had jock Wallace, johnny Repp and some belgium international player, they all joined in a 5 a-side competition and our five was managed by jock, who told us that "yon boy Repp" was a poof and only had a hard shot !! - aye that was fecking right !!!

We also had the "Beast of Bannockburn" who wore a t-shirt with the red lion pub Bannockburn and for some reason used whisky for suntan lotion, have never seen this guy since on all the TA travels, most probably deid .

Sounds a right character. :-))

I saw him early one morning laying on the sun lounger surrounded by Germans, he had been there all night with his half gallon bottle of whisky, the Germans all talking away and he woke up, he looked around had a quick swally from his bottle and came out with a classic - "you's English can feck right aff" !!!!!

Aye, that was another great trip - I'd like to go back to Reykjavik. The wooden pub overlooking the bay (it was discussed on here not so long ago) was a brilliant place to spend the evening - felt like you were sitting on the edge of the world.

I've just gone back for a long weekend based on how much I loved the place when we last played there. It's fab - folk are friendly and the food is excellent. Thinking about going back again to try and trying to see the Northern Lights next time. And,the flights are direct from Glasgow...bonus!

I've just gone back for a long weekend based on how much I loved the place when we last played there. It's fab - folk are friendly and the food is excellent. Thinking about going back again to try and trying to see the Northern Lights next time. And,the flights are direct from Glasgow...bonus!

It's a fantastic place. Is it any cheaper? Not that I actually bother too much if a place is pricey - if a pint is seven quid, it's seven quid - just cough up and enjoy.

It's a fantastic place. Is it any cheaper? Not that I actually bother too much if a place is pricey - if a pint is seven quid, it's seven quid - just cough up and enjoy.

It wasn't too bad - I'd say it was the similar prices as London. The wine was pretty pricey (£30 was the cheapest in any of the restaurants we were in) but cocktails worked out the same as London. Local beer worked out around £5 for a pint.

It wasn't too bad - I'd say it was the similar prices as London. The wine was pretty pricey (£30 was the cheapest in any of the restaurants we were in) but cocktails worked out the same as London. Local beer worked out around £5 for a pint.

Fiver a pint isn't too painful.

• 2 weeks later...

My first away trip was brussels 2001, very special memories and never laughed so much.

Think everyone wants their own thing from a trip. For some a big travelling support, for others an elite few. Some want the sun, others couldn't care cos they're in the boozer the whole time. Some want locals who mix with the fans. For some the trip is wasted if the result's a bad one. And often it takes a single event to raise it up in your estimation. I didn't really enjoy Prague that much, but my mates loved it because they went to that famous strip club (the Globe?) and I went to my bed with a hangover. For them it was a great trip because of that one night.

Me I like a big travelling support, the sun, and a single central square where everyone meets. A good result always helps.

Brussels in 2001 had almost everything. Loved that trip - been trying re-create it ever since with no luck. Remember that a Belgian group came in to the square - extremely well dressed with bodyguards. My thought at the time was they were royalty. They were just standing there smiling and soaking up the atmosphere. Strange thing to remember but it's stuck with me.

Been to a few crackers but the best for me anyway was France '98 when I just had a rucksack, kilt and a "travel all over France" train ticket. Met friends in Paris (pub wae Joe Jordan, Terry Yorath, Eddie Gray and Ron "my name isn't Ron Dixon" Dixon fae Brookside then ontae the coast and kipped a couple of nights in mick North Croy's mobile home, train tae Bordeux (gorgeous city) and slept in a bath before train to Antibes tae stay wae a pal for a couple of nights afore travelling up tae Lyon tae stay afore the Morocco game......the whole trip was incredible....saw the 3 matches and drank with fans from all over the World on every train....nothing will ever beat that trip.