Biggest Disappointment Following Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Disappointment Following Scotland

microdave

Following on from the player thread, I thought this might be quite good too.

Mine would be the 0-3 defeat by Morocco in 1998. I was convinced we would win that game and progress to the knockout stages for the first time. The performance was rotten and my mood wasn't helped by Norway beating Brazil which would've rendered the result meaningless in any case. I was totally scunnered with fitba and was finished with the game. It took me a few days to get over it which is very unlike me. It usually only takes me about 15 minutes to get over a defeat. The only other Scotland game that comes close to that disappointment was Italy in 2007!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, im only 15 so only been to 2 entire campaigns i need to say the 0-0 against serbia first game last campaign. After all the hype going into it with craig levein saying we were capable of winning every game in the group to draw 0-0 i really left hampden deflated, then after drawing to macedonia it became clear we werent making it to rio

Italy at home in 2007 was a massive disappointment because hopes were so high that day and to have it snatched away from us the way it was made it worse.

I have the campaign DVD which I still can not bring my self to watch the last 5 minutes of as it still makes me feel sick inside.

The two losses against Wales recently were unbearable.

Even thinking about it scunners me.

Really? They don't even appear in the top ten for me!

The Italy game takes a bit of beating (in recent times anyway) but the 2-2 against the Czech republic in 2011 was also a bit of a gut wrencher

Where do I start? There are too many to choose from.

Monaco, the Faroes fiasco and Macedonia 2008 all spring to mind.

My biggest disappointment was probably Holland 2003 though. Only because we had won at Hampden and we were totally outclassed a few days later. I thought we had a real chance.

As unfortunately reminded by All Bongo in the other thread ( :wink2: ) - Costa Rica 1990 and also Peru 1978 are up there - oh - and England 1996.

(I wasn't actually there for any of them if that's the criteria?)

:worried:

Edited by fringo

Aye that Uruguay game was a scunnerer. That was the first campaign I was into in a big way, going to Hampden with my mates etc. So deflating for it to end like that after the emotional rollercoaster of the qualifiers.

St Etienne 98 was up there too. Only crumb was knocking back £100 ticket to watch on the big telly in the square. Spent the cash on the Cote D'Azur afterwards...

Uruguay 86 for me. A lot of competition, but this wins it hands down. Group of death, but with a good team. Needed a win to advance and couldn't buy a goal against 10 men for 89 minutes.

Oh. Forgot about that one too.

Most major championships actually have some terrible moments ultimately. :worried:

Italy at home in 2007 was a massive disappointment because hopes were so high that day and to have it snatched away from us the way it was made it worse.

I have the campaign DVD which I still can not bring my self to watch the last 5 minutes of as it still makes me feel sick inside.

Yep, I've never felt so upset at a football match, a mixture of rage and utter sadness all in one after one of, of not the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at football. Paris was amazing but the buzz at Hampden that day was unreal. Still get raging thinking about it.

Guest allyc

As a youngster watching on TV..getting knocked out of Italia 90.as a supporter Italy at home 07.

Edited by allyc

Guest allyc

Or the crushing defeat to Netherlands in the playoffs after the elation of the first game.don't think at that stage we were used to getting such severe humpings.

the missed penalty against England at euro 96 was the worst moment for me.I wasn't at the game i was in a pub in Bradford surrounded by about 200 English. there were about 6 of us supporting Scotland and we were getting dogs abuse.when the penalty was awarded there was 6 of us dancing around the pub giving it what for.then the miss.the pub erupted and when Gazza scored I almost cried.my most disappointing experience as a Scotland supporter was the first time i went to Hampden park it was in the seventies what a shithole i couldn't believe my eyes.i was so exited to be going to watch the national side but nothing could prepare you for the state of the ground no proper terracing the toilets were a joke folk were just pishing against the back wall.I was in the north enclosure and at the back the pish was running down wall from the stand on stilts above.what an atmosphere though.

ian

^^^ 100% agree. For all the slagging Hampden gets now, imagine the TAMB was in existance during Hampden's previous life as a cesspit!

Oh and I couldn't imagine what it must have been like watching the 96 game with an English crowd. Torture :shocked:

The game we lost under walter smith at hampden, prior to playing slovenia away.

Pretty sure it was scotland 0 belarous1. Was all booked up for a trip to lubjuana but felt so sick at the result i didnt want to go.

Ended up going we won 0-3 and had a ball, but result meant nothing. No germany wc.

Wasn't smiths fault as he inherited a poor start from berti.

Wee gordon has had the full campaign and i am hoping he can make up for all the didsapoinments.

Didnt make tiblisi in 2007, but wathed it on tv.

That was also a gut wrencher after winning in paris and beating ukraine at hampden.

^^^ 100% agree. For all the slagging Hampden gets now, imagine the TAMB was in existance during Hampden's previous life as a cesspit!

Oh and I couldn't imagine what it must have been like watching the 96 game with an English crowd. Torture :shocked:

yeh, wembley was full of them for a change :-(

So many to pick from; Holland 6-0, Georgia 2-0, Italy 2-1,Belarus 1-0, all the games in Cardiff, England in 96 and Brazil in 98 (I know it was Brazil but that OG!).

But the worst I've felt was after we blew a 2 goal lead against 10 man Belgium at Hampden. Totally deflated.