Reasons To Be Cheerful – Georgia Away - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reasons To Be Cheerful – Georgia Away

kmcca5

Agree with press and fans bit

But are you suggesting that McLeish and squad went in half cocked last time, or due to injury problems etc

I certainly don't think they were in the right frame of mind last time. I also think Georgia were a better team 8 years ago than they are now.

Having said that, as I've already mentioned, the game in 2007 is irrelevant. Different manager, different players.

Edited by Kiltedsteamer147

That one was in my opinion ; last game

Couldn't qualify

Glorified friendly if I recall

McClair got a goal ; says it all.....

Quite a sad way to look at in my opinion. I've watched Scotland on TV, listened to them on radio when there was no tv coverage and been going to watch them for 39 years now. In that time I've never watched or listened to a meaningless game.

If Scotland play it means the world to me no matter what's at stake. It about building confidence, team morale, and nowadays ranking points.

In the CIS game, it was about winning a finals match, avoiding being bottom of the group, scoring goals, showing the watching world that we were a decent team. Being able to go to work and not get pelters from the english.

The day a Scotland game is meaningless to me is the day I'll know that it's time to quit watching.

Edited by Jagtag

Quite a sad way to look at in my opinion. I've watched Scotland on TV, listened to them on radio when there was no tv coverage and been going to watch them for 39 years now. In that time I've never watched or listened to a meaningless game.

If Scotland play it means the world to me no matter what's at stake. It about building confidence, team morale, and nowadays ranking points.

In the CIS game, it was about winning a finals match, avoiding being bottom of the group, scoring goals, showing the watching world that we were a decent team. Being able to go to work and not get pelters from the english.

The day a Scotland game is meaningless to me is the day I'll know that it's time to quit watching.

We've got a similar CV by sounds of it

1st recollections were 74 WC as a 8 yr old

I can support the team without buying into the blind faith / we'll support you ever more mantra

Realised on re read you've been actually going to games for almost 40 years ; when I just started watching on tv.....

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

We've got a similar CV by sounds of it

1st recollections were 74 WC as a 8 yr old

I can support the team without buying into the blind faith / we'll support you ever more mantra

Realised on re read you've been actually going to games for almost 40 years ; when I just started watching on tv.....

No, been watching listening on radio and going. First game I remember as a 7 year old was England in 76 on TV. Hooked. Watched and listened on radio after that. If highlights were on late my mum would make me go to bed but wake me up to watch them.

Started going in 82, Holland at Hampden warming up for Spain 82.

I am as passionate about every game now as I was as a kid.

We beat Ukraine with a brilliant performance but travelled to Georgia without Hutton, Naysmith, Brown and McCulloch who had all started v Ukraine.

The replacements, particularly Murty, Maloney and unfit Fletcher didn't play well. Pearson also went from decent to dreadful in the space of a few days.

I do think our squad can cope with players missing a little better than it could back then.

I think we'll do much better because we naively went there the last time playing 4-4-2 (and missing key players), we'll be much cleverer this time with a counter-attacking mind-set and can see the match playing out very similarly to the Macedonia away game in 2013.

I hope we don't play to counter attack, I know it's an away game but we should be looking to dictate play.

I hope we don't play to counter attack, I know it's an away game but we should be looking to dictate play.

Agreed hate when we play counter attack as we always on back foot and I shit myself every time the opposition come forward I know in some games it is the best way but against Georgia we need to put them under pressure all game not the other way about

For all our good play this campaign we've lacked a cutting edge up front, so I'm hoping for a 1-0 or 2-1 to us in Tiblisi.

We'll have to play well to get a result there though.

What we'd do for a goal scorer and a Gareth Bale-esq player who could change games.

Fingers crossed Gauld and Harper really kick on.

I think we'll do much better because we naively went there the last time playing 4-4-2 (and missing key players), we'll be much cleverer this time with a counter-attacking mind-set and can see the match playing out very similarly to the Macedonia away game in 2013.

I'd rather not have to wait till the last few mins before the job is done!

Though coming back with three points would be grand.

Need to go out and boss this one from the word go. All our rivals in the group have won in Tblisi. If we are serious about automatic qualification for France then we need to send out a message and go there and win.

Part of me thinks we are still scarred from the Levein era with the mindset being that a 0-0 over there is a good result. Different times, different manager. Strachan will have the boys in no doubt what is needed.

I know what your saying but if we try to dictate play it allows Georgia to sit deep and play to their strengths.

Playing a counter attacking game would force Georgia's defensive line higher and our pace can beat them in-behind.

Some of the counter-attacking goals we've scored under Strachan have been breathtaking, like Anya v Germany and FYR Macedonia, Snodgrass v Croatia or even Maloney v Poland.