Easyjet - Bunch Of Wankers - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Easyjet - Bunch Of Wankers

Booked on 20.05 Easyjet flight from Newcastle friday to Belfast which the s decided to cancel about half past 9 :angry: due to flight crew being out of time apparently ! Spent half an hour being messed around and trying to escape from departure gate because the staff left us high and dry and scarpered to avoid any hassle .

Then spent another hour frantically trying to make other arrangements to get to Ireland and contact everyone that we had made bookings with (hotel/transfer company etc) and other friends that were already there , whilst waiting in a queue of about 150 people at the information desk .

Easyjet got us into airport hotel and thanks to our friendly local travel agent we got seats on the following mornings` Aerlingus flight to Dublin ( Thanks Kerry ) .

My question is , has anyone made compensation claims against Airlines for flight cancellations and do you know if you can claim for the lost hotel/transfer booking etc as well ??

Cheers

Booked on 20.05 Easyjet flight from Newcastle friday to Belfast which the s decided to cancel about half past 9 :angry: due to flight crew being out of time apparently ! Spent half an hour being messed around and trying to escape from departure gate because the staff left us high and dry and scarpered to avoid any hassle .

Then spent another hour frantically trying to make other arrangements to get to Ireland and contact everyone that we had made bookings with (hotel/transfer company etc) and other friends that were already there , whilst waiting in a queue of about 150 people at the information desk .

Easyjet got us into airport hotel and thanks to our friendly local travel agent we got seats on the following mornings` Aerlingus flight to Dublin ( Thanks Kerry ) .

My question is , has anyone made compensation claims against Airlines for flight cancellations and do you know if you can claim for the lost hotel/transfer booking etc as well ??

Cheers

girl i work with got £250 back form exact same thing a few weeks ago.

Supposedly entitled to £183 each according to that link above and should be due a refund for cancelled flight .

Trying to find if we can claim for monies already paid out ( Belfast hotel booking for Friday night , airport transfer to city centre and bus to Dublin and new flight we booked ) , but I don`t know if we are entitled to claim for that as well ?

E-mailed Easyjet and got generic reply that i`ll be contacted in 7-10 days ! Tried phoning and was left on hold for 20 minutes before i gave up .

Edited by popkean1314foreva

My flight to Vienna to get a connection to Skopje was cancelled 2 years back after checking in and waiting to board. We only had 45 minutes to connect in vienna and so no chance of making the onward flight.

They had to route us via Istanbul and arrived in Skopje 7pm instead of 11 am. I claimed for that and got about £340 back if I remember right.

The 1915 Aer Lingus flight from Dublin that I was on was oversubscribed and were looking for two volunteers to be put at an airport hotel, dinner, bed and breakfast and 250 euros.

Aer Lingus was looking for a volunteer to drop out of the Aberdeen flight yesterday afternoon and fly to Glasgow instead with transport up to Aberdeen provided ,also 250 euros

If you go through that link and give them all the bits of paper they'll get the money for you. Of course they'll keep a little bit too...

That goes for anyone that had a cancelled flight or a flight delayed for more than 2 hours at some point in the last 5 years. On a European airline.

I've got a claim in against thomson airlines who are refusing to pay even if they're legally obliged to. So at some point I should be seeing the best part of a thousand quid. Don't want to see the c**** getting away with screwing people over.

Edited by thewelk

I had a cancelled flight with Easyjet coming back from Dortmund. They were a pain in the arse but if you keep at them they pay up eventually.

Save all the receipts, ask hotel to give you a confirmation letter or a copy of your invoice, and be prepared to have to scan them (they won't accept photos, even though they look the same pretty much. They'll try to be awkward about it).

You'll get hotel and any taxis to and from hotel as long as you have receipts.

To be fair to them , they handed me the leaflet regarding to EU regulation about compensation at the helpdesk , so I don`t think it`s an issue on that front .

It`s just that I paid for 3 hotel rooms we didn`t use ,a transfer from the airport to the city, and the bus between Belfast and Dublin and because we flew into Dublin we had to book 3 seats back to Belfast

To be fair to them , they handed me the leaflet regarding to EU regulation about compensation at the helpdesk , so I don`t think it`s an issue on that front .

It`s just that I paid for 3 hotel rooms we didn`t use ,a transfer from the airport to the city, and the bus between Belfast and Dublin and because we flew into Dublin we had to book 3 seats back to Belfast

If you have travel insurance with your credit card they usually cover that.

Supposedly entitled to £183 each according to that link above and should be due a refund for cancelled flight .

Trying to find if we can claim for monies already paid out ( Belfast hotel booking for Friday night , airport transfer to city centre and bus to Dublin and new flight we booked ) , but I don`t know if we are entitled to claim for that as well ?

E-mailed Easyjet and got generic reply that i`ll be contacted in 7-10 days ! Tried phoning and was left on hold for 20 minutes before i gave up .

Am I reading this right. You want compensation for the hotel in Belfast on the Friday night and bus to Dublin on the Saturday that you couldn't use. EasyJet put you up in a hotel in Newcastle and flew you in to Dublin so while it's a pain in the backside I don't see how you're out of pocket.

Am I reading this right. You want compensation for the hotel in Belfast on the Friday night and bus to Dublin on the Saturday that you couldn't use. EasyJet put you up in a hotel in Newcastle and flew you in to Dublin so while it's a pain in the backside I don't see how you're out of pocket.

It's still a night of a trip missed and who are they to say they evened it out. The law says that it's the time delayed and distance travelled that counts and is there to ensure airlines treat delays seriously and do everything to prevent them.

It's still a night of a trip missed and who are they to say they evened it out. The law says that it's the time delayed and distance travelled that counts and is there to ensure airlines treat delays seriously and do everything to prevent them.

Fair enough and that's what the compensation is in place for. However the OP seems - unless I'm reading it wrong - to be looking for redress for consequential loss when it isn't apparent that there is any.

If I'm flying to Belfast and then taking an onward train journey which I miss because the flight is delayed and I have to pay for alternative onward travel to Dublin, then I would be entitled to compensation for that (I've no idea if the regulations cover that but that seems fair to me).

However, if I'm rebooked on to a flight direct to Dublin, which means I don't have to take the train, I'm not subject to any additional expense in getting to my ultimate destination so I'd be completely unreasonable in looking for a refund of the train ticket, which I'd paid for but not used.

Fair enough and that's what the compensation is in place for. However the OP seems - unless I'm reading it wrong - to be looking for redress for consequential loss when it isn't apparent that there is any.

If I'm flying to Belfast and then taking an onward train journey which I miss because the flight is delayed and I have to pay for alternative onward travel to Dublin, then I would be entitled to compensation for that (I've no idea if the regulations cover that but that seems fair to me).

However, if I'm rebooked on to a flight direct to Dublin, which means I don't have to take the train, I'm not subject to any additional expense in getting to my ultimate destination so I'd be completely unreasonable in looking for a refund of the train ticket, which I'd paid for but not used.

Easyjet didn`t book us onto the Dublin flight , by the time we got to the front of the queue , the only option they were offering us were seats on the Sunday night flight into Belfast ! We sorted the flights ourselves at out additional expense , via Aerlingus ( and our own pet travel agent ) . The airline had no idea where our ultimate destination was .

The fact is we were travelling with our wives and the original plan was that they stayed in Belfast on Saturday went shopping and had cocktails etc, while we went down to the match and back up afterwards on the bus . Ultimately we got we went for, but our wives` had to spent the first night of their weekend away in a 3rd rate airport hotel , get up at the crack of dawn to catch a flight to Dublin , instead of having a leisurely morning shopping , then travel up to Belfast by bus ( with our luggage as well as theirs` ) .

Not trying to screw anyone , just asking if anyone had previous experience of the situation and to make we were claiming for everything we were entitled to .

Edited by popkean1314foreva

Finally got a reponse from Easyjet and they are now trying to claim extraordinary circumstances and deny any compensation claims .

Apparently the flight was cancelled due to "thunderstorms " in the area , although there were no other delays to any other flights or any issues with any other airlines that evening . When I questioned this , I was told the thunderstorms may have been 24 hours previously !

I have contacted Newcastle airport and asked them if they can clarify what the weather conditions were at the time , if any other flights were cancelled or delayed and i`m awaiting a response .

Think they are extracting the urine and trying to get out of paying out , especially as we were handed a leaflet by the check in staff detailing what we could claim for under the circumstance !

• 4 weeks later...

Final update on this story , just for future reference if anyone else experiences the same issue .

After contacting the Group Commercial Director (Peter Duffy ) and being assured that were extraordinary circumstances , i.e. thunderstorms . He said however , I was entitled to pursue my complaint further via the CAA website .We did last week , attaching all the relevant correspondence , including the e-mail from Airport Duty Manager at Newcastle which stated there where no issues with regards to the weather at the time .

Strangely enough after this , I received a phone call yesterday from Easyjet saying that after a further "review" , the flight could have taken off as the flight crew would not have been out of time until after they had landed in Belfast and therefore they were upholding our complaint and we were entitled to the full compensation amount stated .

This equates to us being in pocket to the sum of around £30 person when all our additional expenses are taken into account , so it`s more of a moral victory than a massive financial gain , but it shows these things are worth pursuing .