*******official Post Match Reaction Thread******** - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

*******official Post Match Reaction Thread********

brant grebner

Disagree with so many parts of this.

In terms of Brown, they clearly targeted him, putting 3 or 4 bad challenges into him early on, but he never reacted like they hoped, in fact he ended up nullifying McCarthy because of this, I almost forgot that McCarthy was on the park in the second half

For the second bit about Scotland not competing against physical teams - there is a difference between a physical team and one that played like Ireland did, they were in a must win situaition and played backwards thinking long-ball football, Croatia IMO are a more physical team than Ireland are and we beat them twice.

And for all their bluster the only goal they scored yesterday from countless long-balls, 40-50 crosses and a double figure number of corners was offside, Martin and Mulgrew were excellent.

Im not sure how many teams in Europe would ever want to play like Ireland did.

Finally I haven't seen this Scotland team beaten easily yet in a competetive match, we'll be easy meat for no-one.

And if I can add to that pray tell Robbo 11 who do we play if not Fletcher and how do you expect him to score with no service?? He made room for our only shot on goal by himself which was tipped over. Griffiths is not up to international standards and Rhodes is a one-dimensional goal poacher so who else would you play if you axe Fletcher?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that was the last of the nervousness and over-respect for the opposition because every game from now on is a 'big' game. We can beat Poland and are capable of beating Germany IF we play our best football. Any more nervy, sit back and be respectful crap and we'll be staying home.

I think we're unlikely to be the best third placed team. Hungary are 2 points ahead of us with a slightly better goal difference and Russia are a point behind is with a game in hand.

If we beat Georgia and Poland and lose to Germany, we will finish with 14 counting points which is unlikely to be enough.

The ironic thing is 20 points will more than likely be enough for us to finish 2nd (as long as Poland lose to Scotland and Germany) but might not be enough for us to be best third placed team.

A lot can happen. The Faroes could quite easily lose their final 4 games and Greece/Finland both end up above them meaning that Hungary immediately lose 2 of the points they currently have as they drew with Greece first time around and best the Faroes. I actually think looking at the groups that 14pts will be damn close to getting best 3rd place qualification but a lot of football to be played.

Edited by Hendricks

I think we got away with it yesterday.There were periods where we struggled to get out of our own half. Ireland were "industrial" at times the ref was weak and let them away with it ! The Ireland goal was Off-side by a yard.

I didn't feel confident at any time during the game. Anya should have been on from the start why GS didn't start him is a mystery to me.

That said if we can play like that and still take a point things must be improving.

Seen Mccarthy has been taking dogs abuse of that Eamon Dunphy in Ireland. Another thing how on earth he managed to stay on the pitch is beyond. He's nailed Brown from the back after 5 mins and never got a booking then elbows Martin and only gets a booking. ROI should have had 10 men for the majority of that match and its a total different game.

Agree he could've had two bookings, I don't think the elbow was a sending off offence though. Unlike the Slovenian guy on Wayne Rooney tonight :shocked:

Decent point but people hugging and kissing to celebrate a draw with Ireland was embarrassing. Wasn't a world beater we drew with and it didn't clinch qualification.

Ireland are pretty awful. As badly as we played, I can't help but feel we should have taken 3 points off them again knowing how bad they are.

Hopefully it's irrelevant at the end of the campaign!

Dunphy is talking mince about McCarthy. He is one of the few really decent players they have.

I like to see what Martinez & Everton fans say about McCarthy not doing it for Everton. Total pish

He has maybe not done it for Ireland but thats more likely because he has a different role & he has withdrew from a lot of squads through injury

Clearly the game went over him & it's not surprising with the baggage of him playing against the country of his birth

He was obviously trying too hard & it could easily have seen him sent off

Edited by Ally Bongo

Ireland are pretty awful. As badly as we played, I can't help but feel we should have taken 3 points off them again knowing how bad they are.

Hopefully it's irrelevant at the end of the campaign!

I do feel Strachan's selection faux pas may have cost us the three points. Anya starting was the way to go and straight away we would have caused them problems. Instead in that first half we looked terribly disjointed but still held our own until the 'goal that never was'.

Dunphy is talking mince about McCarthy. He is one of the few really decent players they have.

I like to see what Martinez & Everton fans say about McCarthy not doing it for Everton. Total pish

Clearly the game went over him & it's not surprising with the baggage of him playing against the country of his birth

It wasn't only Dunphy it was Liam Brady saying that as well. Perhaps it explains why they go aerial though if O'Neill shows no faith in his midfield.

It wasn't only Dunphy it was Liam Brady saying that as well. Perhaps it explains why they go aerial though if O'Neill shows no faith in his midfield.

True

They obviously need a scapegoat and they would probably be better starting with the manager

I hope that was the last of the nervousness and over-respect for the opposition because every game from now on is a 'big' game. We can beat Poland and are capable of beating Germany IF we play our best football. Any more nervy, sit back and be respectful crap and we'll be staying home.

we still have to royally screw up somewhere along the line ; which we have done since the dawn of time.....

<p>

Post Match Reaction - Having had time to reflect, in no particular order:-

• Forsyth had possibly the worst first 10 minutes in the history of International football - I actually thought he was going to be subbed at one point
  • Brown is completely ineffective whenever anyone stands up to him and refuses to be bullied / buy into the Hardman Broonie myth
  • Naismith - a player I like - needs to put on about a stone / toughen up at this level - He gets knocked over far too easily
  • Now we no longer need a convenient stick to beat Levein with, can we please get rid of Fletcher
  • Generally, Irealnd showed that this Scotland team, in the main, cannot function against physical teams
  • Despite protesting otherwise pre - game, Starchan set out to "play for a draw" from c70 mins on
  • In doing so he all but guarantee Scotland are playing for a play-off place at best
  • Scotland will get taken apart by whichever team they meet in said Play-offs -- Ireland have shown the prototype to beat Scotland - Physical Centre Mids to take care of Brown and Centre halfs to nullify the powderpuff attack - All a team needs is a bit more quality on top of that than Ireland had - which let's be honest, they will ALL have and Scotland will be easy meat

You strike me as the kind of person who is never happy and probably loved the Levein years when we were rank So you could really have moan.

I

Felt we simply didn't turn up in the first half. Ireland, as I expected, were on the front foot and were well worth their lead, despite their goal being a mile offside. Was wondering at the game what wee Gordon was playing at with starting Forsyth instead of Robertson and no Anya. But I think Ireland were completely spooked by us scoring so early in the second half and I really thought we would push and go and win the game. But we never got the momentum required to really go for it. I hate witch hunting players but I thought Hutton was terrible. Gave the ball away constantly in dangerous positions which allowed the Irish to sling in cross balls. He very nearly cost us big time. Believe it or not, I was hoping Strachan would take him off and replace him with Whittaker. Yes, Whittaker not the greatest either but he is steady defensively.

It was also interesting reading the reaction of some of the Irish press this morning. O'Neill was getting it big time for his negativity but I actually feel that was harsh considering he finished the game with Walters, Keane and Long up front. But Tony Cascarino was a complete fud. According to him Scotland had not attacking threat in their team. Aye, right you are then. You are about as Irish as jellied eels and Watneys Red Barrel you Cockney .

He has maybe not done it for Ireland but thats more likely because he has a different role & he has withdrew from a lot of squads through injury

McCarthy is definitely a decent player, and has tonnes of ability...on his day, but he flatters to deceive.

Not once have I watched him play for Ireland and thought "thank God we have him in midfield".

More often than not he doesn't perform to his potential and games pass him by without his influence. I'd say I'm in the majority of Ireland fans who have been very disappointed with how he's turned out....so far.

We were rubbish. Scotland of the part 6 years would have almost definitely lost that game. I hope it was a one off and we can bounce back performance wise in September.

I'm struggling to think of a June qualifier where we've played well. It's never really a good time of year for us (as evidenced by our performances in major finals)...

I'm struggling to think of a June qualifier where we've played well. It's never really a good time of year for us (as evidenced by our performances in major finals)...

Croatia two years ago

We were rubbish. Scotland of the part 6 years would have almost definitely lost that game. I hope it was a one off and we can bounce back performance wise in September.

There was reasons for thst though..Strachan's team selection was wrong, our passing was poorer than normal, this was always going to be a game full of tension that inhibited good open football and it was littered with fouls which breaks up the flow of the game. We were poor but would say this was a one-off.

<p>All that was missing from Ireland was John Fashanu up front and we could've been playing Wimbledon of the late 80's. Dirty, long-ball merchants. </p>

You strike me as the kind of person who is never happy and probably loved the Levein years when we were rank So you could really have moan.

I[/

Yeah, yeah...

Everything is hunky dory - Scotland were fantastic on Saturday, and holding Ireland to a draw is a great result - Even if they don't get 2nd place which is all but guaranteed now, Scotland will waltz through a play off, as they have such a great record in 'crunch' do or die type games.......

That what you want to hear ? fine.....