*******official Post Match Reaction Thread******** - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

*******official Post Match Reaction Thread********

brant grebner

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, Gord fecked up his team selection. Looked like he was playing for a draw from the off. Backfired,

reminds me of our last manager

but at least he changed ti and rescued a point.

except with Levein we'd be still arguing over Ireland's winning goal

Gord was not even interested in discussing those controversies

Very hard fought draw against a seriously physical team. To get 4pts against Ireland is an excellent return as always going to be derby type match up. We should now finish 3rd at worst and very decent chance we could get best 3rd place team and qualify automatically. Personally I think if we can beat Poland at home and win in Georgia/Gibraltar a point against the Germans at Hampden will see us get 2nd.

I would certainly have taken the points total and this scenario going in and we are in a much better position than the Oirish. Absolutely no reason why we can't beat Poland at home. We led 2-1 in Poland and for spells were the better side. Ireland should have beaten Poland in Dublin and we have taken 4pts from them. Likely to be another tight game but every opportunity to beat them and therefore get 4pts against them too. Plenty can still happen in this group. Nothing is easy. Germany only 1-0 at half time against Gibraltar again shows that. If we were to get 9pts from the remaining 4 games (losing to Germany) there is every chance we will qualify automatically as the best 3rd best team if that isn't enough for 2nd place anyway. Lots to be positive about.

I think we're unlikely to be the best third placed team. Hungary are 2 points ahead of us with a slightly better goal difference and Russia are a point behind is with a game in hand.

If we beat Georgia and Poland and lose to Germany, we will finish with 14 counting points which is unlikely to be enough.

The ironic thing is 20 points will more than likely be enough for us to finish 2nd (as long as Poland lose to Scotland and Germany) but might not be enough for us to be best third placed team.

Post Match Reaction - Having had time to reflect, in no particular order:-

• Forsyth had possibly the worst first 10 minutes in the history of International football - I actually thought he was going to be subbed at one point
  • Brown is completely ineffective whenever anyone stands up to him and refuses to be bullied / buy into the Hardman Broonie myth
  • Naismith - a player I like - needs to put on about a stone / toughen up at this level - He gets knocked over far too easily
  • Now we no longer need a convenient stick to beat Levein with, can we please get rid of Fletcher
  • Generally, Irealnd showed that this Scotland team, in the main, cannot function against physical teams
  • Despite protesting otherwise pre - game, Starchan set out to "play for a draw" from c70 mins on
  • In doing so he all but guarantee Scotland are playing for a play-off place at best
  • Scotland will get taken apart by whichever team they meet in said Play-offs -- Ireland have shown the prototype to beat Scotland - Physical Centre Mids to take care of Brown and Centre halfs to nullify the powderpuff attack - All a team needs is a bit more quality on top of that than Ireland had - which let's be honest, they will ALL have and Scotland will be easy meat

<p>

• Forsyth had possibly the worst first 10 minutes in the history of International football - I actually thought he was going to be subbed at one point
  • Brown is completely ineffective whenever anyone stands up to him and refuses to be bullied / buy into the Hardman Broonie myth
  • Naismith - a player I like - needs to put on about a stone / toughen up at this level - He gets knocked over far too easily
  • Now we no longer need a convenient stick to beat Levein with, can we please get rid of Fletcher
  • Generally, Irealnd showed that this Scotland team, in the main, cannot function against physical teams
  • Despite protesting otherwise pre - game, Starchan set out to "play for a draw" from c70 mins on
  • In doing so he all but guarantee Scotland are playing for a play-off place at best
  • Scotland will get taken apart by whichever team they meet in said Play-offs -- Ireland have shown the prototype to beat Scotland - Physical Centre Mids to take care of Brown and Centre halfs to nullify the powderpuff attack - All a team needs is a bit more quality on top of that than Ireland had - which let's be honest, they will ALL have and Scotland will be easy meat

Strange post. Your assertion that we can't function against physical teams is just plain wrong. Georgia were hardly tiki-taka types and we beat them. We took care of ROI at Celtic Park when Broony (the big shrinking violet that he is) and Mulgrew bossed the midfield. We drew away with a Poland side who are both physical AND can play a bit and gave the world champions a fright on their own patch. We had an off-day yesterday but still gained a point. I'll take that and assume that Strachan's learned from it and we won't be that bad again this campaign.

Some prototype eh? One point out of a possible six. You know what you can do with that prototype.

They weren't good enough to capitalise on it - fair enough, but - without being privvy to O'Neill Team Talk - Ireland clearly set out to intimidate and unsettle Scotland with their rough-house tactics - Save the one moment of quality in either games and a deflection it worked --- I can be as biased as anyone when it comes to Scotland but they were 2 poor, poor games which both "deserved" to end 0-0. Just because Ireland couldn't execute the tactics well enough doesn't mean that other, better, teams won't learn from what they done

Strange post. Your assertion that we can't function against physical teams is just plain wrong. Georgia were hardly tiki-taka types and we beat them. We took care of ROI at Celtic Park when Broony (the big shrinking violet that he is) and Mulgrew bossed the midfield. We drew away with a Poland side who are both physical AND can play a bit and gave the world champions a fright on their own patch. We had an off-day yesterday but still gained a point. I'll take that and assume that Strachan's learned from it and we won't be that bad again this campaign.

I stand by my comment re Brown - He can "boss" games - when he is allowed to --- When he gets it back so to speak he tends to revert to whingeing crybaby mode from what I've seen -- Also feel the "and Mulgrew" part could be the difference, obviously understand why Mulgrew played centrehalf yesterday tho

So Ireland showed the way to beat us by not beating us? Baffling post.

I suggest you look to RTE coverage even pundits like Brady or Quinn on Sky Sports acknowledged we played the better football.

If ever I have read a knee-jerk reaction post yours was it.

End of the day, we'll find out in November - If Scotland make Play-offs.

I'm happy to offer a £25 bet to either or both of you Scotland will lose Play-off to which ever team they draw - And will be happy to pay up if I'm wrong

End of the day, we'll find out in November - If Scotland make Play-offs.

I'm happy to offer a £25 bet to either or both of you Scotland will lose Play-off to which ever team they draw - And will be happy to pay up if I'm wrong

Bloody hell. Right bundle of you ain't you.

Anyway I'll take that fella. We are all freends here though. £25 donation to a charity of the winners choice? :)

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "boss" ?

Maybe I don't..I've always took it to mean the player - usually a midfield - who dictates the tempo, and / or has the biggest influence on the outcome of the game...

Edited by Robbo `81

Think we all agree we were pish yesterday I even turned round to my lad and said oh feck this like watching us few years ago.... BUT if we can play that badly and still come away with a point we gotta be happy think we all a little bit spoilt at the minute with the way we have played under strachan at the end of the day the position we are in anyone of us would have taken that when the draw was made really can't understand why so many folk on here whinging we've only lost one game during qualifying and that was against the world champions and we deserved at least a point from that the boys had an off day but we still took 4 points off the Irish so all good and still believe we will get to France

Reflect less, think more.

Seen Mccarthy has been taking dogs abuse of that Eamon Dunphy in Ireland. Another thing how on earth he managed to stay on the pitch is beyond. He's nailed Brown from the back after 5 mins and never got a booking then elbows Martin and only gets a booking. ROI should have had 10 men for the majority of that match and its a total different game. Add this to the fact Walters 'goal' was 100pc offside we have been absolutely diddled by the ref and essentially cost another 2 points.

It's interesting Brown, whelan and McCarthy have all been taking a lot of stick from this game - thinking about it due to Saint Martins insistence on stone age lumpin it tactics that as a result as meant the game essentially bypassed the midfield a lot more than normal.

Disagree with so many parts of this.

In terms of Brown, they clearly targeted him, putting 3 or 4 bad challenges into him early on, but he never reacted like they hoped, in fact he ended up nullifying McCarthy because of this, I almost forgot that McCarthy was on the park in the second half

For the second bit about Scotland not competing against physical teams - there is a difference between a physical team and one that played like Ireland did, they were in a must win situaition and played backwards thinking long-ball football, Croatia IMO are a more physical team than Ireland are and we beat them twice.

And for all their bluster the only goal they scored yesterday from countless long-balls, 40-50 crosses and a double figure number of corners was offside, Martin and Mulgrew were excellent.

Im not sure how many teams in Europe would ever want to play like Ireland did.

Finally I haven't seen this Scotland team beaten easily yet in a competetive match, we'll be easy meat for no-one.