*******official Post Match Reaction Thread******** - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

*******official Post Match Reaction Thread********

brant grebner

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pleased, was pretty worried at stages. Forsyth for me was poor though, suprised he was ahead of Whittaker. Third place should be ours at least unless we mess up Georgia, also if Ireland gain points they will hopefully take them from Poland/Germany

Post match reaction - we deserved the draw and we're the team playing football from back to front with the ball on the deck. Ireland's threat was almost entirely set-piece based and can't recall them tearing us open with attacking football. Sorry reading Ireland fans but that is how I read your side. All physical with little creativity.

Strachan erred with his selection and it showed as we looked disjointed in the first half but still comfortable enough as Marshall only had a looping header to tip over. The Ireland goal was offside and ours a wicked deflection to even things out. I just feel if we had started with the correct formation we could have won but a draw is not a shabby result considering we were pretty poor compared to recent matches.

Decent result, almost undone by our own deficiencies again (lack of confidence, sloppy passing) and also the officials again (offside goal). Tendency to sit back too much and hesitate in the final third is still there.

Anya should always start unless we have someone else with his pace and threat who is playing better. We dug in and withstood some severe albeit simple route one pressure. Marshall was good.

Not a great game,the corner leading to the goal was offside(IMO) and the goal was offside,but take a point.

Gives us a better head to head record against one of the top 4 at least,so no real damage done.

Georgia away is crucial I think.

Good result considering we weren't that great especially in the first half.

That's ROI out of the way for us now 4 points taken off them, very good indeed.

Beat Georgia, Poland and Gibraltar then we are very likely to qualify automatically.

Failure to beat Poland and then it is play-off time,and judging by the caliber of teams who may finish third, will be quite difficult.

Very hard fought draw against a seriously physical team. To get 4pts against Ireland is an excellent return as always going to be derby type match up. We should now finish 3rd at worst and very decent chance we could get best 3rd place team and qualify automatically. Personally I think if we can beat Poland at home and win in Georgia/Gibraltar a point against the Germans at Hampden will see us get 2nd.

I would certainly have taken the points total and this scenario going in and we are in a much better position than the Oirish. Absolutely no reason why we can't beat Poland at home. We led 2-1 in Poland and for spells were the better side. Ireland should have beaten Poland in Dublin and we have taken 4pts from them. Likely to be another tight game but every opportunity to beat them and therefore get 4pts against them too. Plenty can still happen in this group. Nothing is easy. Germany only 1-0 at half time against Gibraltar again shows that. If we were to get 9pts from the remaining 4 games (losing to Germany) there is every chance we will qualify automatically as the best 3rd best team if that isn't enough for 2nd place anyway. Lots to be positive about.

Good result considering we weren't that great especially in the first half.

That's ROI out of the way for us now 4 points taken off them, very good indeed.

Beat Georgia, Poland and Gibraltar then we are very likely to qualify automatically.

Failure to beat Poland and then it is play-off time,and judging by the caliber of teams who may finish third, will be quite difficult.

Agree with this. Best 3rd place can be our friend too with 3 wins in the games you suggest. Lots of other groups will see teams continue to cut each others throats.

If we need something to cheer the next hour then we don't want Greece losing to the effing Faroes (at half time they are 1-0) as it helps Hungary's cause big time.

Edited by Hendricks

Bad news - now 2-0 Faroes. Looking like doing the double over Greece which means that as things stand points against the Faores count in that group. Green would have to get 4 more points than Faroes in the remaining 4 games and they look like they have chucked it.

Reading the Irish forums makes me realise how far we've come. The comments on there are identical to ours at the start of the last campaign. Strachan tried something different in the first half today and it just didn't work, we need to stick to our style (how we played in the second half) and we've got a good chance here. would rather have Robertson playing in the remaining games, yes he has been fragile defensively a few times but he's top class going forward. I'm glad leaving Anya out didn't cost us the game, hopefully WGS has learned not to tinker with the team too much after today.

If we beat Georgia, Poland and Gibraltar and lose to Germany and Poland also lose in Germany we will definitely qualify automatically.

Poland could only get to 20 pts even if they beat Ireland and Gibraltar at home. We would be on 20 pts also but have the better head to head.

The next set of fixtures are absolutely massive with a win in Georgia and a German win against the Poles setting up a huge game against the Poles in October.

As others have said, what the were we doing in the first half. Universal bemusement about what was going on.

After 90 mins delighted with the point. Anybody who said 4 out of 6 against Ireland i would have been delighted.

Yes we were poor in the first half - disjointed I would say but we were still pretty comfortable for all Ireland'so huffing and puffing. Aside from their offside goal Marshall tipped a looping header over and Given tipped a Fletcher shot over - so yes we were poor but even then held our own.

Strachan as good as admitted post- match his selection error. He rectified it and we immediately looked better and we scored. We then had a spell where we took over and I thought we may force the win but it wasn't to be. At least our football was on the deck from front to back rather than Ireland's hoof it and see. The only way I saw them scoring today was set-pieces that aside they never had the guile or creativity to cut us open with measured attacking football.

Reading the Irish forums makes me realise how far we've come. The comments on there are identical to ours at the start of the last campaign. Strachan tried something different in the first half today and it just didn't work, we need to stick to our style (how we played in the second half) and we've got a good chance here. would rather have Robertson playing in the remaining games, yes he has been fragile defensively a few times but he's top class going forward. I'm glad leaving Anya out didn't cost us the game, hopefully WGS has learned not to tinker with the team too much after today.

You can say that again...

An ok Result from possibly our worst performance of the group so far. We were outplayed and out fought in the first half. Ireland where very one dimensional and where only going to score from a set piece. Don't think Forsyth worked although can see why he was played instead of Robertson (physically)but not Whittaker who is tried and tested in big games. Why anya never started is a mystery unless he was carrying an injury. And Ritchie for me has not showed much in the games he has been involved. Georgia away is a must win and then if we beat Poland we are pretty much there assuming we beat Gibraltar. Just my opinion though!!

I don't think Ritchie did anything wrong but just think it was a big match too soon for him and he doesn't lend himself to attacks as well as Anya does. Anya offers a cutting edge and we missed that pace and trickery in the first half and think it upset the equilibrium of the team.

Wee Gordon learned a lesson today - if it ain't broke don't fix it.