The "must Have" Trainers When You Were A Kid - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The "must Have" Trainers When You Were A Kid

I don't really remember any specific must have trainers. As long as they were a decent brand you'd be ok - Nike, Adidas, Reebok.

Show up at school with your brand new Gola, Nicks, Dunlop or even Puma and you left yourself wide open to ridicule.

And if you showed up with anything from Tesco or Poundstretcher your school life would be a misery.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also alot of brands you don't see now, British knights.

I remember British Knights and SPX suddenly became popular in the early 90's. I never owned a pair but my mates did - and they were expensive - only to fall apart after about 2 months wear.

Always wanted a pair of Samba's - PE teachers wore them and they were a must have. Had to bulid up to them with a pair off Bamba's first. Still got my Sambas but hardly ever wear them. Reebok are much more comfortable.

after all different sorts of football boots - I was surprised by which ones were the best when I retired from rugby - Hi Tec's were so superior.

I had loads of the 'retro' trainers of today in the 90s - makes you feel old!

I forget what they were called, but I had a pair of black Adidas basketball boots that had an orange inner sock. They were cool as feck.

Also had a pair of suede black Nike Air max. White tick, big air bubble round the back. I'd pay a fair bit to get them again now.

LA Gear had their version of Reebok Pumps - LA Gear Air Regulator. Would look stupid now, but they were brilliant when I was 12!

I had a pair of Adidas AdiColour Baseball Boots.

They were leather rather than the usual canvas style and when you bought the boots they came with coloured pens so that you could add the colour to the three stripes.

I loved those boots.

Always wanted a pair of Samba's - PE teachers wore them and they were a must have. Had to bulid up to them with a pair off Bamba's first. Still got my Sambas but hardly ever wear them. Reebok are much more comfortable.

after all different sorts of football boots - I was surprised by which ones were the best when I retired from rugby - Hi Tec's were so superior.

Dont know about wearing hi-tech for anything other than hiking but their hiking boots are great. Dont think id be caught dead in anything else by them though

I remember British Knights and SPX suddenly became popular in the early 90's. I never owned a pair but my mates did - and they were expensive - only to fall apart after about 2 months wear.

Troop as well, those were around the same time. Hideous, but no as bad as their hoodies and trackie bottoms ?

Dont know about wearing hi-tech for anything other than hiking but their hiking boots are great. Dont think id be caught dead in anything else by them though

The mighty Silver Shadow :lol: The RAF used to issue them at recruit training and everybody had to wear them so at least I didn't feel too much of a fanny.

78A1BDFE-C74F-4305-A948-2F3C95A1A7C9_zps

nike-wimbledon1982.png

Had a pair of Nike Wimbledons around 1983/84 absolutely loved them. They brought them back out a few years ago as Tennis Classics and got another pair, still fantastic. classic understated look.

Current favourites are blue Stan Smiths and red white and blue Onitsuka Tigers.

On the subject of Sambas, some one mentioned buying a new pair in Europe and them not being the same as the ones from back in the day. I don't want to be pedantic but what were marketed as Sambas in the UK were actually Samba Supers. So there...

The mighty Silver Shadow :lol: The RAF used to issue them at recruit training and everybody had to wear them so at least I didn't feel too much of a fanny.78A1BDFE-C74F-4305-A948-2F3C95A1A7C9_zps

my all time comfy fav's saw a sale while ago and bought 2pair coz they're great.

Used them a lot years ago for hof marathon training easy on the sole.

Sambas

Reebok classic

Gazelle

I had a pair of diadora round about the 90 World Cup that were black with the Italian flag colours doing the rest.

I've never owned a pair of Nike trainers.

Now I'm wearing puma a lot,Lacoste to work,red sambas with my kilt and have a few pairs of Stan smith and court stars.

Anyone bought from mi Adidas yet and recommend if any good?You can create your colour ways for zx 500, gazelles and sambas etc if you haven't heard it. Fancied knocking myself up a pair of suede gazelles in blue with red stripes but never gotten round to it yet

Anyone bought from mi Adidas yet and recommend if any good?You can create your colour ways for zx 500, gazelles and sambas etc if you haven't heard it. Fancied knocking myself up a pair of suede gazelles in blue with red stripes but never gotten round to it yet

You can get them in blue suede with red strips already there my trainer of just now