The "must Have" Trainers When You Were A Kid - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The "must Have" Trainers When You Were A Kid

I just bought a pair of Nike Air Pegasus Nike Air Pegasus 83 and love lots of the retro trainers that are available these days and that got me to thinking what were the "must have" trainers when you were a kid? Sadly my mum could never afford Nike or anything like that and the first Nike Air I got when I was 12 after saving paper round money for months. Love the classic Adidas in my mid to late 20s but found Nike seemed to last longer and if I am forking out £60 I want to get my moneys worth!

The Ones I bought in the end...

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/nike-air-pegasus-83-black-and-white-trainers/3403207260/

The ones I always wanted as a kid but never got were Nike Air Pegasus 89, I almost bought them this week but can’t quite make my mind up if I could wear them as a 35 year old! Still tempted as they are on sale......

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/nike-air-pegasus-89/155816/?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=JDUK_Criteo&cm_mmc=Re-targeting-_-Criteo-_-Productfeed-_-Link&aid=475&ctotc=1860515055-45322

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it was Nike Air TWs

2-nike-air-trainer-tw-lite-ii-1990-sepat

First pair I got were these Reebok Pumps.

reebok-pump-blacktop-battleground-ii-04.

My Dad traveled a lot as a kid so always got some fresh kicks from America.

Reebok classics came back in when I was about 16.

I remember getting a pair of white with gold lettering Adidas shell toes for my 18th in 1998.

1384181949-70200000.jpg

Others that stand out are Black Adidas Sambas (which I have) and some re issue red 85 Air Max, again I had to buy last summer and am wearing at the moment.

25-09-2013_nike_airmax1ogpremiumtape_red

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Bit of warning next time FFS, they sent off an epileptic fit!

had a pair of these, old trainers - nah...and samba just remind me of wee neds fae groawing up... and old men wearing them now...dear oh dear.(i know i've just offended half the board, sorry grew out of fashion victim trainers years ago - used for purpose)

reebok-pump-twilight-zone-og-fall-2012-a

and, as someone who had badger all money and was bought nothing by parents, owning a pair of samba was something i had always wanted. Once I got a pair I've never been without them.

Same here, I had to save paper round money for a pair of Nike air, I literally wore them until they fell apart then I glued back together and fell apart again. It was like a close family bereavement when I finally binned them.

I remember going into primary school with some “Nicks” trainers when I was about 9 or 10 and I got seriously nasty pelters for weeks it was horrible.

019099_01_standard.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

Still is..

Went through rakes of sambas in my teens. Perfect for kicking baws aboot the streets/hanging about for a bit of casual edge. You didn't want to wearing full on astro boot type boots.

019099_01_standard.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

Still is..

Along with white overalls, a ten year old football top, worn Lee Coopers and a battered old radio with a broken ariel these fellows remain an essential staple in the wardrobe of any discerning painter and decorater for the last 30 yearso.

Edited by neil r

I remember they had mamba, bamba and samba. Samba was the epitome of style at wallace high school in the early eighties but bamba were the better gutty.

I went to Wallace High School From 91 to 94 before we moved.

Along with white overalls, a ten year old football top, worn Lee Coopers and a battered old radio with a broken ariel these fellows remain an essential staple in the wardrobe of any discerning painter and decorater for the last 30 yearso.

Substitute the Lee Coopers for a pair of worn Wranglers then that takes me back, especially the battered radio playing Atlantic 252 !!!

Used to love the Samba but although they were pretty naff used to love my Hi Tech Squash

had a pair of these, old trainers - nah...and samba just remind me of wee neds fae groawing up... and old men wearing them now...dear oh dear.(i know i've just offended half the board, sorry grew out of fashion victim trainers years ago - used for purpose)

Deeply offended......

Reebok Pumps were in when I was a bairn. Only my folks were too skint to buy a pair. So they bought me a pair of Hi-tec things that had a wee button on the tongue. What a bloody embarrassment. Bless them though. Lol

I wear the blue suede ones still to my work each day. They have more white stains o'er them than Kerry Katona's pus has had.

The breakfast DJ on one of our local stations used to be on Atlantic 252!

It was quite handy that if you liked a song you would only need to wait a couple of hours to hear it again as they only played the same songs over and over