Luton To Edinburgh Flight Cancelled - Germany v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luton To Edinburgh Flight Cancelled

snoopyhill

After a great weekend we flew back from Dortmund to Luton Monday and got caught up in the bomb scare, to cut a long story short Edinburgh flight was cancelled and we changed to Glasgow flight at 07:00 the next day.

After doing some checking it looks like we will be able to claim compensation (€250 it's an EU regulation) in addition to the expenses we incurred. Here's a link to helpful info for anyone else on the boards was also effected.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays?_ga=1.233559449.627769617.1401464553

No chance.

A bombscare is classed as "outwith the airlines control".

Provided they did everything they could to operate the flight, then your claim will fail.

You'll have more luck with your travel insurance instead.

Edit: The list of exclusions is here, and its #6 on it, so save yourself the price of a stamp.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/doc/ned-extraordinary-circumstances-list.pdf

Edited by deecie

No chance.

A bombscare is classed as "outwith the airlines control".

Provided they did everything they could to operate the flight, then your claim will fail.

You'll have more luck with your travel insurance instead.

Edit: The list of exclusions is here, and its #6 on it, so save yourself the price of a stamp.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/doc/ned-extraordinary-circumstances-list.pdf

Wrong.

Easyjet reps met all of us at their headquarters and arranged hotels, meals and transport when those ran out they explained the process to the rest of us including how to claim. The cancellations were an operational decision taken by Easyjet and they took responsibility at the airport. Mind you they did say payment would not be quick.

The checking I done after that was around the €250 compensation on top of the expenses.

Don't even need a stamp nowadays what with email...

Monarch and Wizzair continued to fly out of Luton only Easyjet cancelled.

Edited by snoopyhill

I have had a cancellation that stranded me for 2 days in Florida, and have had the best part of 12 months haggling with the airline and the CAA over it.

You will be entitled to claim all extra accom and meals providing you keep receipts for all and don't take the michael.

Where you would not be able to claim compensation is if the delay is classed as "an exceptional circumstance" or one which is totally outwith the airlines control, and closing an airport / cancelling flights due to a suspicious package would be classed as this.

There has been a recent court ruling involving JET2 which has just kicked into touch airlines claiming technical faults with aircraft, or staff sickness as an exceptional circumstance. They used to wangle out of payIng compensation using all sorts of tosh as "exceptional".

Basically the courts view any situation within the airlines own control is not exceptional and therefore compensation would be payable at a maximum of 600 euros per person, per EU legislation.

Would be very surprised if a penny was paid as compensation after a bomb scare.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

To put it into perspective as to how quick the EU compensation thing can be, me and the missus had a BA flight from Dubai-Heathrow cancelled last year. Even though they put us on a later direct Emirates flight back to Glasgow, we still got 2 x 600 Euros compensation from BA and it was paid within a week. All depends on the airline, I suppose.

Our flight from Frankfurt to Edinburgh was overbooked so I volunteered to miss it and they flew me to London city then on to Glasgow, I was only 2 hours later than was going to be and got 250 euros. my flight was only £140 return originally. :cheers3:

We arrived in Amsterdam ready to fly to Luton and then Edinburgh on Monday with easyjet. It took them awhile to get organised. We got put into a hotel in Amsterdam, they gave us a voucher for the evening buffet, and a breakfast box in the morning. They transferred us to Gatwick and then onwards to Edinburgh. But the first flight was delayed by 40 minutes, there was another 35 minute delay at passport control, so we missed the second flight. They then, eventually, got us on to a 6pm flight, tried to get us to pay £65 but agreed we should not pay. The flight was delayed by another hour. Nightmare return - but didn't cost us a penny.

We arrived in Amsterdam ready to fly to Luton and then Edinburgh on Monday with easyjet. It took them awhile to get organised. We got put into a hotel in Amsterdam, they gave us a voucher for the evening buffet, and a breakfast box in the morning. They transferred us to Gatwick and then onwards to Edinburgh. But the first flight was delayed by 40 minutes, there was another 35 minute delay at passport control, so we missed the second flight. They then, eventually, got us on to a 6pm flight, tried to get us to pay £65 but agreed we should not pay. The flight was delayed by another hour. Nightmare return - but didn't cost us a penny.

I remember the program about Easyjet on the tele years ago where they came across as being terrible but EVERY single person who I've heard or spoke to about the Luton carry on said they were absolutely brand new

Are flight from dusseldorf was cancelled on the Monday night 22.50. Waited for about an hour for them to tell us to go back to the terminal, another 1 and a half hours waiting for them to give us vouchers for hotel and food. Most of the time waiting for them to tell us what was going on.Then another hour at the information desk to be given a sheet with hotel and taxi numbers. I phoned and after a few calls got a hotel for the 12 of us then to be told they don't take the vouchers. Went and spoke to the women who gave us the voucher to be told not my problem I have been here for 14 hours and I am going home. Ended up staying in the airport as the other women told us there was a hotel 40 mins away and we would have to pay everything then get it back from Ryanair. Not sure if we will be entitled to anything as we did not go to the hotel. About 80 of the 160 people on the flight stayed at the airport and at 3.30 loads of St. John's turned up with blankets and stretchers for us to sleep on and a Tv crew.

We got caught up in this at Luton as well. Cops talking of an "unprecedented" incident, M1 closed, planes diverted, the 'plentiful' supply of snacks and refreshments running out with hundreds still queuing etc - all for a set of fukkin hair straighteners.

On top of that, easyJet were a disgrace when it came to keeping passengers informed. And their post-cancellation 'help' was non-existant. Never claimed compo or refunds from an airline before but I was so pi55ed off with easyJet yesterday I'm going to do it this time.

Was one of the ones stranded at Dortmund airport on Monday. Turned into a bit of a shambles.

Had a 7 hour wait in airport while they first mucked about with organising people onto other flights, telling people to join another queue if they had a connecting flight then refusing to book half the people on to their connection.

Took ages to organise hotels, then when some of us got dropped off at one we were told Easyjet had only told them we were coming and hadn't actually booked us anything, so we all had to pay for rooms including taxis to the airport the following day.

3 of us were caught up in the chaos at luton and eventually after getting no info from easy jet and them cancelling our edinburgh flight we got some help.This was only after walking around the airport and going outside whilst thinking of what to do next.We booked on the 7am glasgow flight the next day ourselves which was only done because one of the lassies who was with us worked with a travel agents.She was due to go to a funeral on the tuesday and was panic stricken at the thought of missing it so phoned her contacts aswell as checking the easy jet website.Once we had the flights booked we luckily came across an easy jet rep who told us we a were booked into a hotel in stevenage which was 20 mins away.It turned out to be closer to 40 mins away and the bus took ages to arrive to pick everyone up as there was major traffic problems.We got our dinner paid for which was up to £13 which funnily enough was the price of 1 course in the hotel.We were picked up the next day at 4am to go back to luton for our 7am flight.The next problem for us 3 fifers was to get from glasgow airport to glasgow queen street station for the kirkcaldy train.It cost us £23 for the taxi and £16.10 for the train but not sure if that can be claimed backed.Regarding the incident there was definite lack of info from the luton staff and there was a lot of young aswell as old folk who were worried.One police woman did tell everyone there was a device which would be detroyed in a controlled explosion.So it was a shock when it was denied and said it was hair straighteners.

Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

Hightower, many thanks to you and the lasses for getting me sorted out with an Hotel when I was downstairs with nowhere to go. I had a great room and the meals were very good when I reached the Holiday Inn.

I am VERY grateful to you all You are all STANDUP folks and a real pleasure to see you

Thank you

Roscoe

Is this true? Easyjet put people up in a hotel? I enquired about this and was told there was nothing they could do. We didn't fancy waiting until 1pm in the airport all night so we hired a car.

I'm fuming if this is ture.

Yes it is, we were in the queue but the rooms ran out, we were told get transport, book a room and keep your receipts. I put my claim in yesterday and got a reply saying.. very busy and it will be 7 to 10 days before they will get back to me.

Hightower, many thanks to you and the lasses for getting me sorted out with an Hotel when I was downstairs with nowhere to go. I had a great room and the meals were very good when I reached the Holiday Inn.

I am VERY grateful to you all You are all STANDUP folks and a real pleasure to see you

Thank you

Roscoe

No probs roscoe it was great to meet you and glad you are ok.We always help each other thats the nature of the tartan army and there was no way we would leave you to sort things out yourself.Hopefully see you soon at another game.Patty37 it is true that we were put up in a hotel along with other folk from our flight and many more.They did say that if we got a taxi at any time to go to the airport in the morning we had to show a receipt to the customer services so we could be refunded.As it turned out we got the bus in the morning to luton.It was only by chance that we came across an easy jet rep because up till then they were a disgrace.We were able to help roscoe get sorted and also gave details on flights to ludo and some other lads who didnt have a clue what was going on.