Scottish Sun To Back Yes ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-rupert-murdoch-could-play-kingmaker-with-scottish-sun-leaning-yes-9719375.html

Scottish independence: Rupert Murdoch could play kingmaker with 'Scottish Sun' leaning Yes

Rupert Murdoch’s Scottish Sun appears on the brink of declaring its support for the Yes campaign, delivering a PR coup for Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond, with whom he has a close rapport.

With Mr Murdoch tweeting furiously in favour of the man who once addressed him as “Sir Rupert”, there was an expectation in the Glasgow newsroom of Scotland’s biggest tabloid that the paper would declare for independence. Andrew Neil, an experienced reader of the Murdoch runes and one of his former editors at the Sunday Times, claimed: “He’s very close to putting the [Scottish] Sun behind Salmond and YES”.

As a naturalized American citizen, born in Melbourne, Mr Murdoch does not have a vote in the Scottish Referendum on 18 September. And yet – as he has made clear from a flurry of activity on his Twitter account – he could have a greater impact on the outcome of the historic election than almost any of those taking part.

Red tops are an affront to democracy. And so is Rupert Murdoch. For me, one of the reasons for voting YES is to put democracy back in the hands of the people - and that means ending disproportionate influence from utter scum like Rupert Murdoch.

Red tops are an affront to democracy. And so is Rupert Murdoch. For me, one of the reasons for voting YES is to put democracy back in the hands of the people - and that means ending disproportionate influence from utter scum like Rupert Murdoch.

I get your point but let's get over the line first.

Just wonder what the slippery auld bugger would want from us in return if we became independent ? <_<

Was thinking that too, what's in it for him to back YES?

As much as I want Scottish independence to happen, I echo what FE says above. News International is the grubbiest of organisations and the thought of The Scum being able to somehow claim it won the referendum is pretty unpalatable.

As much as I want Scottish independence to happen, I echo what FE says above. News International is the grubbiest of organisations and the thought of The Scum being able to somehow claim it won the referendum is pretty unpalatable.

My take.....

If the SUN were to declare for YES and it helped us secure the vote, this wouldn't even register against the lies, scares, self interest and dirty tricks everyone associated with NO (Including the media) have peddled under the name of democracy.

Was thinking that too, what's in it for him to back YES?

payback against the British state ... he has a axe to grind