Neil Oliver History Of Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Neil Oliver History Of Scotland

Just watched episode 1 on youtube, the next episodes seems to have been deleted?????

Can somebody confirm if I have had to much to drink tonight, my laptop is having a bad day, or the Ruk is denying that Scotland ever existed until the the SNP was created last Thursday?

• 1 year later...

Neil Oliver documentary on Scotland and the Klan (BBC4).

So far, stuff about kilts and bagpipes and now getting into slavery and racism.

Oh and I think Scots responsible for the civil war. Seceding from a Union obviously Not Good.

Edited by exile

55 minutes ago, exile said:

Neil Oliver documentary on Scotland and the Klan (BBC4).

So far, stuff about kilts and bagpipes and now getting into slavery and racism.

Oh and I think Scots responsible for the civil war. Seceding from a Union obviously Not Good.

Scots were involved in both slavery and racism but I doubt they were any more involved than any other immigrant group in the US at that time,  although I think Glasgow particularly could do a lot more to recognise it's part in the slave trade.

I've done a bit of genealogical research and have two separate sets of relatives who ended up in the US and took part in the civil war.   Both families originated in Wigtonshire and ended up in the US by way of Antrim.  They were all Covenanters. One family went over in the 17th century, they settled in the south, in Virginia and the Carolinas.  No doubt descendants of those fought on the confederate side.  Other branches of this family moved onto Kentucky and a member of this line was a Union general - although not a very good one.   Another family went over in the 1850s and settled in Michigan and also fought on the Union side.  

Two extended families that originated in the same part of Scotland and to all intents and purposes are the same and yet one fought on both sides.  The reality is that the side you were on in the civil war depended largely on the state you lived.  If there were more descendants of Scots on the confederate side - and that's a big if - then it's because the initial Scots emigrants settled in the Southern states.  

Trying to link the Klan to some form of Scots lineage is laughable.  It was the 19th century equivalent of modern new-nazis adopting the Celtic cross and Norse symbology.

Will Neil Oliver and his glorious flowing mane be covering the Scots who were sent as slaves to the Caribbean and North America first by Cromwell and then George II ? Curiously not something I was taught about at school.

What Oliver is covering is not exactly breaking new ground is it ? There has been plenty written about Scotland's links with the slave trade particularly in the last twenty years or so. I do concede however that it remains a subject that I think many are still a little squeamish about. Personally I find it very interesting.

It is a crying shame that the Klan took what was a once powerful Scottish icon, the fiery cross, and turned it into a symbol of hate and oppression.

There was a guy who in summer 2015 was doing very interesting walking tours of Glasgow City centre and the city's slave legacy i.e. the buildings which rich Glasgow families built, the families who owned them, how they made their riches out of human misery etc. People might find this e-tour of Glasgow's slave past interesting - https://scottishwriters.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/black-history-month-a-walking-tour-of-glasgows-past/

Greenbank Gardens here in East Renfrewshire was owned by a slave dealer at one point I think.

There *is* something a little ironic going on here. Only if you believe there's something special about 'Scots blood' would you attach significance to the (blood) link between the KKK and Scotland, yet this is what Oliver seemed to be doing?

10 minutes ago, exile said:

There *is* something a little ironic going on here. Only if you believe there's something special about 'Scots blood' would you attach significance to the (blood) link between the KKK and Scotland, yet this is what Oliver seemed to be doing?

Exactly.  

Oliver, in spite of all the economic and social evidence of what's to come, has turned into one of the biggest anti Scottish cvnts around 

It's not just a hatred of the SNP

It's not just being a die hard British Nationalist

It's something exceeding both

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Oliver, in spite of all the economic and social evidence of what's to come, has turned into one of the biggest anti Scottish cvnts around 

It's not just a hatred of the SNP

It's not just being a die hard British Nationalist

It's something exceeding both

His BBC salary?

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Will Neil Oliver and his glorious flowing mane be covering the Scots who were sent as slaves to the Caribbean and North America first by Cromwell and then George II ? Curiously not something I was taught about at school.

If this interests you have a quick read about Ninian Beale and Dumarton Oaks, in Washington DC, which is famous for where the UN charter was agreed at the end of WW2

http://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2013/07/18/strange-rock-georgetown-colonel-ninian-beall

http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/dumbarton-oaks-archives/historical-records/75th-anniversary/blog/dumbarton-oaks-the-backstory

7 hours ago, Denny's Yard said:

If this interests you have a quick read about Ninian Beale and Dumarton Oaks, in Washington DC, which is famous for where the UN charter was agreed at the end of WW2

http://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2013/07/18/strange-rock-georgetown-colonel-ninian-beall

http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/dumbarton-oaks-archives/historical-records/75th-anniversary/blog/dumbarton-oaks-the-backstory

While in the main their day to day treatment would have been no better than the slaves they worked alongside it's wrong to describe them as slaves, slaves had no choice in the matter and for them it was a lifelong bondage. 

They were indentured servants, who served a fixed term and at the end of that were freed from their contracts which generally lasted for up to seven years.

These were either people who went voluntarily or were prisoners transported, most notably royalist prisoners from the War of the Three Kingdoms and Jacobites post Culloden.  The vast majority of indentured servants would have been ordinary poor men and women who signed up to escape poverty.

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It is a crying shame that the Klan took what was a once powerful Scottish icon, the fiery cross, and turned it into a symbol of hate and oppression.

The Klan only adopted the burning cross after the release of the film The Birth of a Nation. The film depicted the Klan burning crosses as the Director liked the imagery of it. It was only after this that life imitated the art. 

Apologies for the off-topic post :lol: 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Watched his 3 part documentary on orkeny and gow it was britains capital for about a millennia,, apart from him going to extreme lengths not to mention the word scotland,, always "british mainland" "ancient brits" ect. It was actually interesting 

To be fair to them Scotland didn't exist back then.

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

To be fair to them Scotland didn't exist back then.

Don't let facts spoil his shortbread angst.

For what it's worth though Oliver is a tool regardless of what his politics might or might not be.