Two For A Pound ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

been reading a lot today about the future of the pound ; currency issues etc

Mark Cairneys comments / RBS & Lloyds hinting at a move etc

this may all very well be scare tactics / propaganda by pro - Unionist ; and i don't honestly claim to understand the implications of the financial world- but this particular topic seems to be the biggest hurdle for indepedence to overcome

czechs & slovaks used the same currency for few years after break up , but then split

tbh was reading mostly stuff like the telegraph & guardian online

It is definitely a strange intervention which no doubt he has had to make from Westminster pressure

This now puts him in the same corner as Gideon and leaves them no room for manouver in the event of a Yes vote which they obviously hope wont happen by putting the final big scare in.

It is certainly an appealling prospect for many in the Yes camp who are uncomfortable with a currency union but the big question is will it scare people enough or are we past that stage

I am almost certain, although i dare say Mr Stiglitz will disagree unless he is in on it, that the currency union proposal is to get as many Yes votes as possible and not that the Yes campaign really and truly want it.

Despite most of the media still going on about the pound falling and shares dropping yesterday and totally ignoring them going back up today what they seem to be forgetting is that the UK economy is trillions in debt and with North Sea Oil/Gas & Whisky revenues etc being removed from the UK's balance of payments is going to have a drastic effect on normal everyday people in England with the effect that will have on interest rates

What an Indy Scotland must then do is use the period between the 19th & March 2016 is to get a central bank into operation which, by all accounts, will not be that difficult for an oil rich country starting off with zero debt

But i guess it's over to Joseph Stiglitz now .....

Carney said currency union 'incompatible with sovereignty'

This doesn't say it wouldn't happen

It's not up to him to say whether it'd happen or not. It's pretty clear that that will ultimately be a political, not economic, decision (hence why he mentioned sovereignty). And that's why it's not going to happen.

It is definitely a strange intervention which no doubt he has had to make from Westminster pressure

This now puts him in the same corner as Gideon and leaves them no room for manouver in the event of a Yes vote which they obviously hope wont happen by putting the final big scare in.

It is certainly an appealling prospect for many in the Yes camp who are uncomfortable with a currency union but the big question is will it scare people enough or are we past that stage

I am almost certain, although i dare say Mr Stiglitz will disagree unless he is in on it, that the currency union proposal is to get as many Yes votes as possible and not that the Yes campaign really and truly want it.

Despite most of the media still going on about the pound falling and shares dropping yesterday and totally ignoring them going back up today what they seem to be forgetting is that the UK economy is trillions in debt and with North Sea Oil/Gas & Whisky revenues etc being removed from the UK's balance of payments is going to have a drastic effect on normal everyday people in England with the effect that will have on interest rates

What an Indy Scotland must then do is use the period between the 19th & March 2016 is to get a central bank into operation which, by all accounts, will not be that difficult for an oil rich country starting off with zero debt

But i guess it's over to Joseph Stiglitz now .....

Would you agree that the currency union chat is a tactic from Yes, which they're actually looking to drop as soon as the Yes vote is in? "Well, we wanted a CU but it's not happening, we'll float our own currency instead. What a shame."

czechs & slovaks used the same currency for few years after break up , but then split

The Czech and Slovak Koruna union lasted a matter of weeks because the markets spotted an inherent weakness, lack of full committal, and exploited it. Edited by Thpinth