Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies

25 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Somebody from the 80s when Aberdeen won trophies.  You wouldn't remember it, it was generations ago.

Was that the same time that United were playing in the lower leagues?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

There's a difference between living in the past and remembering the past.  

Agreed.

I'd even go as far to suggest that you know more about AFC's past than Utd's given the amount of time you spend commenting on it ;)

2 stars.......Now bugger aff! :wave:

• 1 year later...

I’d say hard as nails but genuinely a fair player. His size and upper body strength was phenomenal - this was in the days when players tended to be more waif-like than they are now, so he stood out. 

It’s telling that Fergie stood by him when he got sent off in the 1978-79 League Cup Final v Rangers for a controversial alleged off the ball incident with Derek Johnstone - Aberdeen went on to lose the final and I suspect that if Fergie had thought for a minute that Rougvie had been guilty of what he was sent off for he’d have been shown the door. 

He had some amount of bottle - he used to warm up right in front of the Jungle when Aberdeen played matches v Celtic at Celtic Park and lapped up the abuse from the crowd. Funnily enough it was Strachan rather than Rougvie who was attacked by a pitch invader at Celtic Park - not sure why  ;)

Edited by neilser