Msm In Overdrive - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Msm In Overdrive

I think Flure is probably right. Once you settle on Yes, I think the vast majority are not for moving back which means that with the current No push, there might be a halt in Yes momentum, maybe a slight regression, but it's more likely to be a plateau. I think once the frenzy dies down, the No campaign is in danger of a further collapse because at some point, clear heads will realise that No still lacks ambition or aspiration.

I wish I could say I was as confident as that sounded but I think it's still most likely to happen.

But has the lovebombing and the fearmongering (both ramped up to new levels) hit us hard, or are people not being taken in?

We'll find out in a few days. So far though, of the conversations I've had/seen, the only people who believe 'more powers guaranteed' are the ones who are voting no anyway. My undecideds are increasingly sceptical of the msm, which is good. One fulminating that it is a disgrace that he has to read foreign media to get an unbiased account of the referendum :)

One thing is for certain, it's went absolutely f***ing mental since the YouGov poll. I make a point of highlighting this to Undecided's that they were nowhere to be seen until they thought they might lose.

Question is, after today, are Cameron et al heading back south tomorrow? If they want to have any chance, they need to keep this kind of dominance in the media but I expect it might go a bit flat for them in a day or so.

We'll find out in a few days. So far though, of the conversations I've had/seen, the only people who believe 'more powers guaranteed' are the ones who are voting no anyway. My undecideds are increasingly sceptical of the msm, which is good. One fulminating that it is a disgrace that he has to read foreign media to get an unbiased account of the referendum :)

:ok: Getting back into it now. A bit worried the fears will now start to kick in as they're being directed from all angles. But I think the people of Scotland probably aren't daft enough to fall for it. Anyway, out leafleting after lunch.

You just need to look at the language being used in these late stages - headlines like "save the union" have been common and will only intensify. If they have to work so hard to save it, do they genuinely believe a YES result being likely.

Also - people, perhaps subconsciously, talk about Scotland "winning" independence. No one ever talks about "winning" the Union.

And not being too paranoid, but I hope the YES vote is decisive so counter any potential sneaky tricks that may occur.

I hope you're right.

What makes you think that?

Tsunami of Yes votes coming from the "Schemes" that pollster don't even know exist, the supermo with Yes, the split of undecideds leaning towards Yes, people like to identify with winners. And a poll I've seen.

Edited by Flure

Yep. It really is an all out salvo with everything they've got. Standard Life and BP also re-entering with some thinly veiled threats. The only way this continues though is if Cameron et al stay in Scotland as like it or not, they've brought focus to a UK wide audience and with that, comes 24 rolling news.

Whatever way you cut it. it's probably good for Yes. If they go home and things die down a little, Yes get more of the news cycle again. If they stay, they'll make major f*** ups.

Tsunami of Yes votes coming from the "Schemes" that pollster don't even know exist, the supermo with Yes, the split of undecideds leaning towards Yes, people like to identify with winners. And a poll I've seen.

All great reasons - reassuring too.

Can we add to that list YES's increased share of the women's vote. I think the undecided women, even more than the men, will see right through

i) the Flash Gordon "one day to save the world"

shecht and

ii) the duplicitous bribe of the twelfth hour

"promise" of unspecified powers

#wontgetfooledagain

[Who's Next - Timeless Album - wrong thread]

Edited by Tartan Eagle