East Coast Usa - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

East Coast Usa

dezmondo

I started a topic 6 months ago on a trip I was planning and got some good feedback and ideas on here. Would just like to thank those who offered their input, I'm just back and had a great trip despite the fact I had to miss Germany!

We spent 4 nights in new york (2 days at start and end) and despite being here twice before we managed to cram loads of things in we hadn't seen before - exploring brooklyn, coney island, cycling central park, top of the rock, lion king, us open, highline park, 9/11 museum.

Took the train to philadelphia and spent 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised. Loads of history and decent for a drink or two. Saw the liberty bell, independence hall, rocky statue although the highlight was probably the eastern state penitentiary.

3 days in DC after this and could actually have spent more time there. Visited the pentagon, Arlington cemetery, spy museum, natural history and american hustory museums, air/space museum, done the capitol tour and a walking tour of the monuments/white house etc. Not a city for partying lol!

Someone suggested Monticello as a stop off and we did just that. Cracking little place and great history.

We did the blue ridge parkway drive afterwards which was stunning and stopped off at pigeon forge/Gattlinburg for a few days where we went to Dollywood, a stampede and sampled some moonshine at the moonshine distillery. Following that we visited lynchburg and the jack Daniels distillery which again was well worth the trip.

Nashville was the last stop before going back to new york. Pretty cool place but 3 days was more than enough. Went to the grand ole opry and done the country music hall of fame amongst a few other things.

Needless to say I'm pretty tired after that.