Jim Murphy (Again!) - Page 32 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jim Murphy (Again!)

My oh my, Tom Brady who usually is quite fair is having a go saying Eck's artice was one of the least gracious articles he had seen and then Jeremy Vine agrees with them. The English media just dont get what is and has happened up here. We are not into this deferential political game, there is nothing in that article that the majority of Yes voters and SNP voters would disagree with.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oh my, Tom Brady who usually is quite fair is having a go saying Eck's artice was one of the least gracious articles he had seen and then Jeremy Vine agrees with them. The English media just dont get what is and has happened up here. We are not into this deferential political game, there is nothing in that article that the majority of Yes voters and SNP voters would disagree with.

......and a lot of Labout voters.

Better Together was run by Labour

Sorry to split hairs, but it was my understanding that Better Together was run by the Tories but fronted by Labour (on account of the fact that a Tory trying to persuade Scots to stay in the UK would be a sure-fire way to guarantee a Yes vote).

In a nutshell ,Jim says to better his family circumstances they had to immigrate ,says a lot

about living in the UK if your poor!

Thanks for the fukkin insight Jim ,so no use voting then ,bawbag o a man.

Well if auld Skelator wants to immigrate, I'll go get the car started and I will happily drop him aff at the airport, (Although I would prefer to drap him aff the Erskine Bridge).

How did I get a break in life? I got a break in life because we emigrated, and I got out of the housing scheme we were in.

Interesting that Jimmy is clearly inferring that 1960's and 70's Arden was going to drag him and his family down. Utter fecking nonsense.

My Mum, aunts and uncles went to school and grew up in Arden alongside kids who went onto university and became teachers, lawyers, nurses and engineers.

Nowadays, Arden is admittedly a complete mess to put it lightly. However anyone who lived in the area during the sixties and seventies will tell you the exact same story, that up until the mid eighties when mass unemployment and drugs hit the area, Arden was just an ordinary, tight knit working class community similar to hundreds of others all across Scotland.

I've spoken to many people who lived in the area during that time and it's always the same stories that come up - collections made to pay bills for a hard up family, if someone was ill there would always be continuous rota of people willing to sit by their bedside and keep them company, lonely pensioners being invited in to share a meal with the family, the gardens well kept and pavements clean, the few families that owned a car letting people borrow it to run urgent errands and finally my great-grandfather always happy to put bets on for people who were barred oot the bookies :-))

Aye, it was a proper hellhole right enough ..............

I don't know Arden but I think good education and consequent opportunity is the primary route to success,allied with a wee bit of luck, but the biggest of all is self confidence.

It is this belief that those fortunate enough to top class schools are really furnished with. It comes through time and time again. Expect the best, and the bar is already set higher. Hope for the best and you are already on the back foot playing a rear guard strategy.

It took me emigrating to another country to really get this. I think of plenty of people I know in Caledonia who could easily command more senior positions, earn significantly more wages in Australia. Scotland should be aspiring to a high wage, high tech economy - the way to get that - education and confidence.

That lack of confidence was displayed in all its glory last yr, lets hope it is now on the way to the history books

Edited by jockodile

Interesting that Jimmy is clearly inferring that 1960's and 70's Arden was going to drag him and his family down. Utter fecking nonsense.

My Mum, aunts and uncles went to school and grew up in Arden alongside kids who went onto university and became teachers, lawyers, nurses and engineers.

Nowadays, Arden is admittedly a complete mess to put it lightly. However anyone who lived in the area during the sixties and seventies will tell you the exact same story, that up until the mid eighties when mass unemployment and drugs hit the area, Arden was just an ordinary, tight knit working class community similar to hundreds of others all across Scotland.

I've spoken to many people who lived in the area during that time and it's always the same stories that come up - collections made to pay bills for a hard up family, if someone was ill there would always be continuous rota of people willing to sit by their bedside and keep them company, lonely pensioners being invited in to share a meal with the family, the gardens well kept and pavements clean, the few families that owned a car letting people borrow it to run urgent errands and finally my great-grandfather always happy to put bets on for people who were barred oot the bookies :-))

Aye, it was a proper hellhole right enough ..............

Murphy is a total twat and all his "I slept in a drawer as a baby, four generations in a flat" rhetoric has more of a touch of the Monty Pythons about it.

However, his family emigrated to South Africa in 1979 so if he had stayed in Arden, he would have been a teenager in the mid eighties exactly as you described it, so you kind of make his point for him.

Murphy is a total twat and all his "I slept in a drawer as a baby, four generations in a flat" rhetoric has more of a touch of the Monty Pythons about it.

However, his family emigrated to South Africa in 1979 so if he had stayed in Arden, he would have been a teenager in the mid eighties exactly as you described it, so you kind of make his point for him.

Not everyone from Arden was/is a junkie you know. A lot of good people once lived there. Many of the older generation who still stay there are lovely folk.

Murphy is telling lies and painting what was a decent community as a cesspit.

Not everyone from Arden was/is a junkie you know. A lot of good people once lived there. Many of the older generation who still stay there are lovely folk.

Spot on.

I actually agree with you and I personally think that Murphy painting in this way backfires with a lot of people as it comes across as insincere. It's so obviously a ploy - along with all the football bollox - to appeal to Glasgow Man, and look how that worked out.

It's a complete difference to Nicola Sturgeon, who has a natural authenticity about her that Murphy could never have. Agree or disagree with her politics, I don't think there's any real question about who she is or what she believes in. I think that's something you either have or don't have, you can't turn it on or off. I saw a good tweet from Johann Lamont - a penny for her thoughts - about Labour, something along the lines of "it's not enough to 'do human', you have to be human"

I actually agree with you and I personally think that Murphy painting in this way backfires with a lot of people as it comes across as insincere. It's so obviously a ploy - along with all the football bollox - to appeal to Glasgow Man, and look how that worked out.

It's a complete difference to Nicola Sturgeon, who has a natural authenticity about her that Murphy could never have. Agree or disagree with her politics, I don't think there's any real question about who she is or what she believes in. I think that's something you either have or don't have, you can't turn it on or off. I saw a good tweet from Johann Lamont - a penny for her thoughts - about Labour, something along the lines of "it's not enough to 'do human', you have to be human"

Good point :ok: