26 Years On - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spent a wee bit of time working in Liverpool as a young lad in the big, bad world. Never been shown such kindness anywhere since.

Words have (and always will) utterly failed me on this tragedy. Going to a fitba match and not coming back is horrific, but these bastards lying about it defies belief.

The truth is getting closer, and I hope the folk responsible rot in hell.

Justice for the '96.

Another new thread on this? Maybe we can ask the mods to pin a thread on this.

Interesting (and shocking) revelations serialised in The Guardian on the Bradford stadium fire...........

Its a shame the Bradford City disaster barley gets a mention either compared to Hillsborough, different circumatances but lots havent evwn heard of it.

Its a shame the Bradford City disaster barley gets a mention either compared to Hillsborough, different circumatances but lots havent evwn heard of it.

I was going to mention that but not sure if it was a little churlish. It's the 30th anniversary coming up & probably resonates with me personally most of all the disasters having been to the ground several times before the fire. We had a game the following Monday night & it was the first time I ever remember a football ground totally silent for the minute's silence.

There's a nice story around here that, as one of Bradford's biggest rivals, Huddersfeld fans have raised over £3K for the Bradford burns unit that was established after the fire.

http://www.northstandloyal.co.uk/charity-appeal-remember-56-bradford-city-disaster-30th-anniversary/

The head of the inquiry, which bizarrely took place only a few weeks after the tragedy, dismissing outright the claim that the fire was started intentionally (as the stand wasn't insured). I don't know - seemed that he was more concerned about his reputation and his handling of proceedings than the larger significantly more important issue.........

The head of the inquiry, which bizarrely took place only a few weeks after the tragedy, dismissing outright the claim that the fire was started intentionally (as the stand wasn't insured). I don't know - seemed that he was more concerned about his reputation and his handling of proceedings than the larger significantly more important issue.........

I think the accusations being made seem tenuous at best but I know the timing of the book has upset a lot of Bradford fans.

I was going to mention that but not sure if it was a little churlish. It's the 30th anniversary coming up & probably resonates with me personally most of all the disasters having been to the ground several times before the fire. We had a game the following Monday night & it was the first time I ever remember a football ground totally silent for the minute's silence.

There's a nice story around here that, as one of Bradford's biggest rivals, Huddersfeld fans have raised over £3K for the Bradford burns unit that was established after the fire.

http://www.northstandloyal.co.uk/charity-appeal-remember-56-bradford-city-disaster-30th-anniversary/

Yeah I don't mean to take away from Hillsborough just thought I'd give my opinion about Bradford barley being recognised.

Both terrible tragedies.

Its good of Huddersfield to have done that, shows that football ist just a game in the end.

Heysel seems to fly low on a lot of folks radar too

The reason Heysel doesn't get so much coverage now is because adequate punishments, such as English clubs being banned and hooligans being convicted, were handed out for the crimes. Nobody has ever been held accountable for Hillsborough, instead there was one of the biggest cover-ups in history.

You been reading the serialisation of a book about the fire on The Guardian website?

Some startling revelations about the tragedy and evidence pointing to the fire being started deliberately by Bradford's then chairman, who's companies had a history of fires.

Heysel seems to fly low on a lot of folks radar too

Yeah that's true as well. Although as the next poster has said, something was done about it. It should still get a mention though.

You been reading the serialisation of a book about the fire on The Guardian website?

Some startling revelations about the tragedy and evidence pointing to the fire being started deliberately by Bradford's then chairman, who's companies had a history of fires.

Nah I haven't, I'll have to go have a wee look into it. Sounds interesting too. Shocking if it is the case.

Yeah that's true as well. Although as the next poster has said, something was done about it. It should still get a mention though.

Nah I haven't, I'll have to go have a wee look into it. Sounds interesting too. Shocking if it is the case.

30th anniversary next month, would like to think Liverpool at least will commemorate that like they did for the 20 year anniversary.

The reason Heysel doesn't get so much coverage now is because adequate punishments, such as English clubs being banned and hooligans being convicted, were handed out for the crimes. Nobody has ever been held accountable for Hillsborough, instead there was one of the biggest cover-ups in history.

14 guys given 3 year sentences = justice ?

Liverpools eventual ban wasn't much longer than the other clubs ; with no involvement

14 guys given 3 year sentences = justice ?

Liverpools eventual ban wasn't much longer than the other clubs ; with no involvement

Whether the punishments met the crime is down to opinion, fact is that Heysel resulted in criminal prosecution and the authorities acted. Hillsborough was a result of the failure of police control, negligence and there was no prosecution because of a 23 year cover up. Again, that's why Hillsborough gets so much coverage.

I agree Heysel should be highlighted more as well as Bradford, I imagine a 30 year anniversary might do this, but that doesn't excuse an objection to the Hillsborough tragedy which is, statistically, the worst sporting disaster in UK history.

Whether the punishments met the crime is down to opinion, fact is that Heysel resulted in criminal prosecution and the authorities acted. Hillsborough was a result of the failure of police control, negligence and there was no prosecution because of a 23 year cover up. Again, that's why Hillsborough gets so much coverage.

I agree Heysel should be highlighted more as well as Bradford, I imagine a 30 year anniversary might do this, but that doesn't excuse an objection to the Hillsborough tragedy which is, statistically, the worst sporting disaster in UK history.

Has anyone ever been convicted or imprisoned for the mass murder in brussels?