Whiskey - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Arran whiskies are nice.

I'm also a big fan of Ardbeg (making my first ever trip to Islay in the summer & looking forward to the distillery tour). If you want to find out if you like peaty whiskies, that's the way to do it.

Good one. I got some good advice here when I went to Islay last year. Can also recommend the Laphroaig tour (you become Laird of a square foot of bog). Take some bins - great bird & seal watching round there, if that's your bag.

Edited by DonnyTJS

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made from dingle berries mibbe? Not for me thanks. :worried:

That's where my head was....so to speak

Don't knock it till you try it! :)

Another good one to move on to is Oban, perfectly balanced between crispy Highland/Speyside and peaty west coast whisky. A very easy dram to drink.

OK folks with all the help you have given I've gone for a wee bottle of 15 yo dalwhinnie. If I hate is I won't be happy lol

Did the same recently. Been disappointed with the Dalwhinnie, used to like it. On the other hand, I am more into peaty malts than I used to be, and love Talisker, whereas I used to hate it.

You can never go wrong with Macallan and Glenlivet imho.

About 20 years ago i decided to collect for whatever reason a miniature from every Scottish malt distilery. 121 brands existing at the time.After a few years serarching in special bottlings at Cadenheads in Edinburgh who appeared to have barrels from the great distillery cull in 83',and shops such as Macphails in Elgin and one in Inveraray i managed to get to 115 .Gave up .lost interest and they now reside in a dusty box in the attic.This thread gave me the impetus to dig a few out and try them.But whisky for me can only be enjoyed at the right time and the right company.So decided this weekend to invite a couple of guests to to the trough.

Will be sampling to begin with a 1974 North Port (brechin ) ,a 1980 Bladnoch ,a 9 year old Loch Lomond bottled in 1985 and a Springbank 1966.Particularly looking forward to the Springbank as many experts describe Cambeltown malts as the most complex and flavoursome of all

Slangevar

Always prefered US and Canadian Whiskey's myself. I do like a nice Scottish Whisky, but usually go for a good Kentucky Bourbon, Tennessee or Canadian blend like Crown Royal as my drink of choice. I've got opened bottles of Crown Royal, Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace.

At the risk of being branded a heretic (although in my defence I'm an Englishman who knows when to use an 'e' & when not to), I was recently given 2 bottles of Japanese whisky that I thought were very good.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki/the-yamazaki-single-malt-whisky-distillers-reserve-whisky/(single malt)

http://www.nikka.com/eng/products/blended/fromthebarrel.html(blended).

About 20 years ago i decided to collect for whatever reason a miniature from every Scottish malt distilery. 121 brands existing at the time.After a few years serarching in special bottlings at Cadenheads in Edinburgh who appeared to have barrels from the great distillery cull in 83',and shops such as Macphails in Elgin and one in Inveraray i managed to get to 115 .Gave up .lost interest and they now reside in a dusty box in the attic.This thread gave me the impetus to dig a few out and try them.But whisky for me can only be enjoyed at the right time and the right company.So decided this weekend to invite a couple of guests to to the trough.

Will be sampling to begin with a 1974 North Port (brechin ) ,a 1980 Bladnoch ,a 9 year old Loch Lomond bottled in 1985 and a Springbank 1966.Particularly looking forward to the Springbank as many experts describe Cambeltown malts as the most complex and flavoursome of all

Slangevar

I tried to do a similar thing and build a wee collection.

Regrettably, it was tanned within a week.

At the risk of being branded a heretic (although in my defence I'm an Englishman who knows when to use an 'e' & when not to), I was recently given 2 bottles of Japanese whisky that I thought were very good.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki/the-yamazaki-single-malt-whisky-distillers-reserve-whisky/(single malt)

:worried:

Oh, really!?!

Well come on give us the right spelling....You don't want me to make the same mistake twice do you.I'm from Edinburgh we haven't spoken Gaelic(feck i hope that's the right spelling ) since the 13thcent .Give us a break.

Paraniod WB de-frocked Scotsman... :(

I'll be honest, I feel guilty whenever I drink it. I kind of wanted not to like it but I did.

Can I redeem myself by saying that I also had a few glasses of Penderryn Welsh whisky last summer & it was horrible?

No :worried:

Does anyone remember the game ,might have been against Estonia or Croatia a few years back,where the locals had a big banner in the main square which read :

THE IRISH INVENTED THE WHISKEY Bast@rds.Totally brilliant

(A reference to Bushmills claim to be the oldest distillery..)

I've tried a few of the Yamazaki and Nikka Whiskies, and have to say they put a lot of Scottish Whisky to shame.

Does anyone remember the game ,might have been against Estonia or Croatia a few years back,where the locals had a big banner in the main square which read :

THE IRISH INVENTED THE WHISKEY Bast@rds.Totally brilliant

(A reference to Bushmills claim to be the oldest distillery..)

I suspect - although I'm not sure - that it must've been Estonia. Cos I wasn't there.

I was at Croatia and didn't see it.

I'll be honest, I feel guilty whenever I drink it. I kind of wanted not to like it but I did.

Can I redeem myself by saying that I also had a few glasses of Penderryn Welsh whisky last summer & it was horrible?

:lol: Fair enough. Was it not a Japanese whisky that was voted best in the world a wee while ago?

:lol: Fair enough. Was it not a Japanese whisky that was voted best in the world a wee while ago?

Yes I think it was one of the Yamazaki ones. To me they both have a slightly sweet flavour. What I disliked about the Welsh one though was that it was way too sweet. As far as I know the Japanese don't do peaty/smokey whiskies so I'm still looking forward to picking up my bottle of Ardbeg in the summer.

Yes I think it was one of the Yamazaki ones. To me they both have a slightly sweet flavour. What I disliked about the Welsh one though was that it was way too sweet. As far as I know the Japanese don't do peaty/smokey whiskies so I'm still looking forward to picking up my bottle of Ardbeg in the summer.

I like some Islay malts more than others to be honest. I've always got a Bowmore in the house but some of the others like Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich etc I need to be in the mood for. Ardbeg in particular is very peaty/smoky.