Mps' Pay Rise Of 9% 'should Go Ahead' - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mps' Pay Rise Of 9% 'should Go Ahead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29098334

Marcial Boo, chief executive of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), said MPs did an important job and should not be paid a "miserly amount"

in his first interview since taking on the job, Mr Boo said a review of evidence had shown that economic forecasts were improving while MPs' salaries had "fallen behind" others working in comparable public sector roles.

The proposed £74,000 figure was now seen by some as being "at the low end", he claimed, adding that pay needed to be fair to attract good candidates.

"They are there to represent us all - to form laws, to send young people to war," Mr Boo told the newspaper.

"It is not an easy thing to do. We want to have good people doing the job and they need to be paid fairly. Now, that's not paid in excess but it's not being paid a miserly amount either."

More than double the Holyrood rate for more conflicts with prophet followers for profits for profit followers

This is actually an area I feel a bit sorry for MPs. When they decided on there own pay rises they were derided, they give it to an independent commission who suggest high pay rises and they are still derided. Even though every MP I have seen questioned had said it's too high.

What's that quote by Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It regarding the publics view on MPs

Malcolm Tucker: Is that you chair?

Nicola Murray: Oh god, yeah. It's cool, isn't it? It's got lumbar support.

Malcolm Tucker: Bin it. People don't like their politicians to be comfortable. They don't like you having expences, they don't like you being paid, they rather you lived in a cave.

Nicola Murray: Okay, fine. So what should I be sitting on? Should I just get an upturned KFC bucket?

Malcolm Tucker: A normal chair, right? Not a massive vibrating throne!