Jack Harper Exclusion - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Harper Exclusion

Paulo2576

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3009302/Real-Madrid-starlet-Jack-Harper-snubbed-Scotland-19s-small.html

Apologies if this is a repost.

Unbelievable stuff there and the media are going daft about it.

Sbragia says he hasn't seen him enough in the last 6 months - isn't that his own fault?!

He also compares him to some lad at Motherwell that he also left out.

Ridiculous statements about the lack of height for a lad who's almost 6'2 aswell. Unbelievable

Guest allyc

Should be nurturing a supposed talent like this.absolutely shocking comments about a young lad.hope he makes him choke on his words.

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/03/24/graham-hunter-decision-not-to-call-up-jack-harper-based-on-power-height-seems-retrograde/

Graham Hunter having his say!

Quality is never a luxury. High technique is never a luxury. If the coach has an issue with Jack’s work rate he should a] tell him in private b] help alter that.

Personally, having seen how Jack plays, understanding his will to play for Scotland, and having suffered too long without Scotland having sufficient high quality players in our playing pool I think this is a retrograde step, almost impossible to understand and extremely disappointing.

This coach isn’t in a full-time club job, and one of the complaints of all who coach at international level is the lack of day-to-day contact with players.

What they DO have is time.

Time to study, time to follow players’ development.

If Ricky hasn’t seen a lot of Jack … then WHY not?

Games in the Madrid youth system are easy to follow, there’s no reason not to have taken in five or six of them in person or via a scout.

If the decision not to include Jack based on power and height etc seems retrograde and the lack of ‘eyes on’ the player, to me, is totally inexplicable.

The coach, ultimately, must take big decisions and I respect his right to do that.

But in this case I strongly disagree with the criteria upon which this one has been made Spain have just spent eight years, 2006-2014 dominating senior and youth football with players who share Jack’s characteristics.

The other worrying thing was he also mentioned something about most top teams now refusing to play from the back and most get the ball forward and play off the second ball. That is complete and utter mince, the only team I can think of that play industrial football at the top level are Atletico Madrid.

His attitude is one of the type of person that believes football works in cycles and that 'our time will come again' Someone needs to have a stern word in his ear and remind him of his job description.

People need to understand that because Madrid's academy doesn't consistently produce first team players for Real Madrid, doesn't mean they don't produce first team players for some of the best clubs in the world.

Mata, Negredo, Morata, and Juanfran all came through the Madrid academy. None of them established themselves as first team players. They're now playing for Man United, Valencia, Juventus and Atletico Madrid. I think we'd take another player from one of those clubs, no?

Harper likely won't go on to become a Madrid first team regular or even first team player, but in all likelihood he will end up playing first team football at a good level. Certainly not a level we as a nation can afford to turn our noses up at, in any case.

This whole scenario is utterly depressing.

Edited by zappafan

People need to understand that because Madrid's academy doesn't consistently produce first team players for Real Madrid, doesn't mean they don't produce first team players for some of the best clubs in the world.

Mata, Negredo, Morata, and Juanfran all came through the Madrid academy. None of them established themselves as first team players. They're now playing for Man United, Valencia, Juventus and Atletico Madrid. I think we'd take another player from one of those clubs, no?

Harper likely won't go on to become a Madrid first team regular or even first team player, but in all likelihood he will end up playing first team football at a good level. Certainly not a level we as a nation can afford to turn our noses up at, in any case.

This whole scenario is utterly depressing.

Aye, I'd love to see Harper playing for a decent team mid table La Liga team such as Malaga, Celta Vigo, Athletic Bilbao or Real Sociedad.

It would amazing if he did make it to Madrid's first team but there will still be plenty of opportunities for him if they let him go.

Pressure from the fans must surely force the SFA to have a word with Sbragia very soon. This is an appalling situation.

Berti Vogts would probably have given Harper his first cap a year ago :-))

openly admitting he values getting just getting result by playing phyiscal football rather than have players playing techincal football with a view to development regardless of the result should be enough for him to get binned, and saying he hasnt been able to see him over the last 6 months is laughable he doesnt play on the moon and then there is saying he isnt tall enough when he is over 6ft.

clown

get him out.

I hope Strachan doesn't try to back up Sbragia and in the process alienate Harper. This is like a horror movie from the 90s.

i was just thinking the same thing, strachan as much as i like the guy can come at issues in ways sometimes that arent particularly sensitive. wouldnt be suprised if he said something like he's not heard much about him (when obviously he will have)

Grounds for dismissal IMO. Undermines everything I thought we were trying to do in Scotland. What must coaches think of us? What must Jack Harper think? What message does this send to all our teenage kids coming through the ranks?

I almost don't want him sacked though because that will probably get the story even more coverage and it's given me a beemur to end all beemurs.

Raging.

Utterly ridiculous. The blazers should carpet this muppet first thing in the morning and get him hunted to fck out of Scotland. I really believed we were leaving all this drivel behind.

"Sorry, son but ye're nae guid tae me. Ye're far too wee. Iniesta's a poofy name onywye. And ye can tell yer mate Xavi the same." Heaven help us if we're actually paying wages to a fckwit like this. How utterly fkin depressing. :(

At the risk of being pedantic I don't think he's ever going to play for Athletic Bilbao....

Modern attitudes have seen Bilbao's famous recruitment policy relaxed in the last few years and broadly speaking, it's questionable whether such a policy will last as we get further into this century.

One of the most depressing things I've read in a while.

Ill-informed, stone age pish from Sbragia summing up everything currently wrong with the Scottish setup. Don't want him anywhere near our age groups if that's his mindset.

C'mon Danny Lennon - call the boy up to the U21s and sort this shite out.