What's Your Squad For Gibraltar And N.ireland? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's Your Squad For Gibraltar And N.ireland?

TartanDave

Perhaps a bit early but as Gibraltar have named theirs and I'm bored out my skull I thought I'd bring it up. Seeing as the last two squads have been around the 26/27 mark and with Strachan's comments about not calling up players who won't get a game I think its safe to assume this squad will maybe be around the 23/24 mark. Therefore, I'd probably divide that into 3 goalkeepers, 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 6 attacking midfielder/strikers.

I'd go for

Gordon

McGregor

Marshall

Gilks as back up if one is injured.

Hutton

Greer

Berra

Martin

Robertson

Whitakker

Reynolds

Would like to see Bardsley in the squad in all honesty as I think he's a very strong full back although I imagine he won't be. Have seen some say Cooper may be involved and wouldn't complain if he was called up over Greer. Without a doubt our weakest area on paper although have been pleasantly surprised with some defensive performances this campaign.

Fletcher

Brown

Morrison

Mulgrew (Would have Armstrong but Strachan likes Mulgrew)

Anya

Maloney

McArthur

1 Spot up for grabs, Matt Phillips has been in good form for QPR, Strachan likes Bannan. Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Jack, Arfield, Bryson, Dorrans could all easily be involved.

Gauld

Naismith

Russell

Fletcher

Griffiths

1 spot then up for grabs, with Watt, Rhodes, McCormack in the running for it. I think Watt may get it.

_____

A pretty decent squad I think and we shouldn't change up to much for the Gibraltar game, Liechtenstein still lives ripe in the memory although I believe we have moved up many levels since then.

Is Hanley definately out injured? If he is I'd play Mulgrew at the back alongside Martin vs Gibraltar. I don't imagine we'll have much defending to do and his set piece ability could come in handy.

Marshall

McGregor

Gordon

Hutton

Martin

Mulgrew

Robertson

Whittaker

Berra

Greer

Bardsley

Brown

Morrison

Fletcher

McArthur

Maloney

Anya

Boyd (he has been doing well for Burnley from what I hear)

Armstrong

Gauld

Fletcher

Naismith

Russell

Griffiths

Edited by Davied14

Is Hanley definately out injured? If he is I'd play Mulgrew at the back alongside Martin vs Gibraltar. I don't imagine we'll have much defending to do and his set piece ability could come in handy.

Not sure, I seen on here that he was. Mulgrew a centre back against Gibraltar is something I never considered but definitely makes sense, particularly as he could play out from the back.

If Hanley is out, I suspect Strachan will use Berra or Greer first beside Martin, and keep Mulgrew in midfield.

I do not think the squad will vary that greatly from Strachans previous..... might be a few more youth players in it than normal, plus maybe a few players who will raise a eyebrow at their inclusion (and probably result in TAMB imploding upon itself), but these will be numbers you could probably count on one hand at the most.

Goalkeepers will be as you were.... Marshall, McGregor and Gordon, with probably Marshall starting at least the Gibraltar game and Gordon getting at least 45 minutes v Northern Ireland.

Defence... again, pretty much as you were, with maybe Liam Cooper and Jack Grimmer included.

Midfield.... not going to any great shakes. I think Phillips might be back... plus two or three other surprises/new players (Arfield, McDonald, Jack, Armstrong, GMS etc....) I think Gauld will be dropped to the U21's.

Strikers.... again, not really any great shakes, Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths.... with maybe two from Russell, Watt and May being called up.

<p>I'd like to see Gauld in the squad and get a run out out in at least one of the games. Jack has been the best Scottish player in the SPFL Premiership this season, yet will again be shamefully overlooked due to the fact he doesn't play for Celtic. GMS and Armstrong will be called up, now that they have signed for Celtic. </p>

I'm surprised no one thinks/wants GMS in their squad. Strachan gave him his debut when he was at Dundee Utd, so obviously rates him, and he has arguably been one Celtic's best performers in the past month, including valuable game time against Inter Milan.

Most of the squad is obvious but I'd like to see room made for: Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Griffiths and Watt.

All of their careers seem to be developing nicely, at the moment, and could very well be involved heavily over the next decade, so why not give them some experience.

I'm surprised no one thinks/wants GMS in their squad. Strachan gave him his debut when he was at Dundee Utd, so obviously rates him, and he has arguably been one Celtic's best performers in the past month, including valuable game time against Inter Milan.

Strachan was actually in the papers the other day saying it is not a given they are in the next squad...... said he has a list of 40 players he is trying to cut down to 21 and GMS and Armstrong moves to Celtic does not make it a given that they will be there.

<p>I'd like to see Gauld in the squad and get a run out out in at least one of the games. Jack has been the best Scottish player in the SPFL Premiership this season, yet will again be shamefully overlooked due to the fact he doesn't play for Celtic. GMS and Armstrong will be called up, now that they have signed for Celtic. </p>

if mulgrew is out he might be in with a chance but he is not going to shift other players who play defensive mid.

Strachan was actually in the papers the other day saying it is not a given they are in the next squad...... said he has a list of 40 players he is trying to cut down to 21 and GMS and Armstrong moves to Celtic does not make it a given that they will be there.

See I read that as him covering himself from the inevitable criticism he'll get for not playing them till they signed for Celtic. He even pointed out that he had them in previous squads. McCall also stated that both excelled in the Europa against a top class side, which will increase their chances.

I really hope he doesn't exclude them for fear of backlash, because they are 2 genuine talents and I've been willing them to be more involved long before now

See I read that as him covering himself from the inevitable criticism he'll get for not playing them till they signed for Celtic. He even pointed out that he had them in previous squads. McCall also stated that both excelled in the Europa against a top class side, which will increase their chances.

I really hope he doesn't exclude them for fear of backlash, because they are 2 genuine talents and I've been willing them to be more involved long before now

Agree.

I think both will be in the next squad, and one/both will start at least one of the two games.

McGhee basically said something along the lines of join Celtic and you are in the first team, and McCall is raving about them.... so if those two are saying it, then I think it is a given.

Saying that though, McGhee does have a habit of mouthing off about every available/eligible player going, so take with a pinch of salt.

Team for Gibraltar:

Marshall

Hutton

Martin

Mulgrew

Robertson

Brown

Morrison

Maloney

Naismith

Anya

Fletcher

With hopefully none of them featuring against Norn Iron.

Could live with that apart from Morrison.If he plays should be in middle three,defensively not good enough.

Agree.

I think both will be in the next squad, and one/both will start at least one of the two games.

McGhee basically said something along the lines of join Celtic and you are in the first team, and McCall is raving about them.... so if those two are saying it, then I think it is a given.

Saying that though, McGhee does have a habit of mouthing off about every available/eligible player going, so take with a pinch of salt.

I know fans from other Scottish teams will disagree and feel a bit hard done by, but I think if you are playing well for Celtic and some of those games are in Europe then you should be pushed up the pecking order. These are the types of games we want our players to be playing in, to ready themselves for internationals. At Celtic there is also a 'must win' mentality instilled that few other teams have. Again that is a great attribute to take into an international.

Playing for Celtic should not make you an automatic pick if you aren't playing well. For example; I wouldn't have Callum McGregor anywhere near the squad.

That's not to say other SPFL players shouldn't be involved. As I said, I've wanted GMS in the team for a long time but I understand why Strachan would be hesitant to play someone with very little big game experience.

Would Strachan really drop Maloney straight from the squad?

He might be (at the most) excused for these games, but I still suspect he would call upon as would be odd to suddenly drop his top goalscorer for this campaign.

when is the squad getting announced, the anticipation is killing me, god help me if we ever have to call up a squad for a tournament ;-)

Probably middle of next week.......

Gibraltar named their yesterady (but given something like 99% of their squad is part-time, probably need to give more notice), Poland are announcing theirs in the next couple of days (seems to be a lot of stories of some highly promising Polish league based player missing out), and SSN just tweeted that England name their squad next Thursday.

Mulgrew might not make this match, he's only just started running again after being out injured for a while.

Gordon

McGregor

Marshall

Hutton

Bardsley

Hanley

Martin

Whittaker

Robertson

Berra

Reynolds

Jack

Armstrong

Morrison

Brown

D Fletcher

Armstrong

Mackay-Steven

Maloney

Gauld

Anya

McArthur

Naismith

S Fletcher

Russell

Griffiths

Tempted to put Tony Watt in there too. If Hanley's injured, put Liam Cooper in the squad.

Would play an experimental team against Northern Ireland and leave both Anya and Maloney out altogether to keep them fresh for Gibraltar. Full strength team when we

I think this squad should be one that is a nod to the future. One that may resemble the squad in 2-3 years. We all know of the youngish fringe players on the verge of making names for themselves.

I reckon Gordon will eventually wrestle that number 1 spot back. Griffiths and Watt will continue scoring and force their way in over the next couple of seasons. Gauld will feature more and more for Sporting Lisbon. GMS and Armstrong will be 2 of Celtic's best players. Maybe even Liam Henderson or Ryan Jack as Scott Brown's long term replacement.

Since we have quite a few off-form and injured regulars, (e.g Snodgrass, Mulgrew, Fletcher) I can't see any better time to experiment.

If Hanley is out, I suspect Strachan will use Berra or Greer first beside Martin, and keep Mulgrew in midfield.

I do not think the squad will vary that greatly from Strachans previous..... might be a few more youth players in it than normal, plus maybe a few players who will raise a eyebrow at their inclusion (and probably result in TAMB imploding upon itself), but these will be numbers you could probably count on one hand at the most.

Goalkeepers will be as you were.... Marshall, McGregor and Gordon, with probably Marshall starting at least the Gibraltar game and Gordon getting at least 45 minutes v Northern Ireland.

Defence... again, pretty much as you were, with maybe Liam Cooper and Jack Grimmer included.

Midfield.... not going to any great shakes. I think Phillips might be back... plus two or three other surprises/new players (Arfield, McDonald, Jack, Armstrong, GMS etc....) I think Gauld will be dropped to the U21's.

Strikers.... again, not really any great shakes, Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths.... with maybe two from Russell, Watt and May being called up.

Jack Grimmer is not going to be anywhere near the squad.

Full strength squad required for a convincing win that will keep morale high going into the games against Ireland, Germany and Poland.

No other games for ages so need to really go for it. And we need to get into the mindset of scoring multiple goals. I can't handle much more of these 1-0 efforts!

Don't quite understand the clamour for Watt to be in squad. He has scored 4 goals in 12 games at Charlton and has hardly played before that. I think he is a good finisher but he needs to prove over a prolonged period rather than a few weeks.

Because he has the potential to be better than any other forward we have. These two games an an ideal time to get someone like Watt in to see how he gets on. If we were playing Germany and Poland, folk would probably prefer more experienced players.

Remember, Watt has a good u21 record, and experience in the Champions League and Europa League. Not many of his rivals have that experience.

Also, international football is about picking the best inform players you can. I honestly can't see why anyone would be against Watt being called up.