Football For Yes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Frank McGarvey.

Some great stuff from McGarvey in this October 2012 interview: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/frank-mcgarvey-on-celtic-st-mirren-and-scotland-1-2590095

By that he doesn’t just mean the Commonwealth Games either. He has never been a member of a political party, but takes a keen interest in politics, and sees the forthcoming referendum on independence as a chance for the people of Scotland to exercise greater control over our own lives.

“I will vote yes for a lot of reasons,” he says. “But one particular reason is so Scotland will not be governed by the Westminster government. I would say that’s 60 per cent why I would vote yes.

“They make decisions that I don’t want. They went to war – I didn’t want to go to war. It dismays me every day when I hear of Scottish people coming back from Afghanistan in a coffin.

“I like the people in England – Liverpool, Devon, Newcastle, wherever. I like all these people and I’ll always be friendly with them. It’s not an anti-English thing at all.

“I feel that Scotland is a compassionate country that cares for the sick and the old, and I want to be a part of that. I think the SNP have done a fantastic job. I don’t mind paying tax so old people can get free prescriptions.

“But I feel the lack of confidence over a future Scotland, especially in Glasgow, is amazing. Glasgow people are confident people, and yet when we want our own country we’re not confident about it.”

I ask if that is because independence represents a leap in the dark, but he thinks not. “I don’t think it would be a leap in the dark at all. I think it would be a leap into the light.”