What They Really Think Of Us - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What They Really Think Of Us

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2745705/SIMON-HEFFER-The-silver-lining-English-Scots-alone.html

How do they get get away with publishing that sort of absolute nonsense. Subsidised?? Dependency culture? It truly is staggering they still think that. I hope there is no currency union and those self righteous, ignorant feel the pain of the removal of their "subsidies" to us. It will cripple them.

Edited by flynnyboy

"For their part, a majority of Scots would have achieved what they wanted while the English, Welsh and Northern Irish would be able to pursue a shared destiny unencumbered by a heavy financial subsidy to Scotland.

For that reason I reject predictions of a collapse of sterling in the event of a Yes vote. Spiritually and socially, the rest of us might be worse off, but financially we would have lost a serious drag on our resources, and our economy would be strengthened."

Haha best to just laugh at stuff like this. Although it will be easier to keep laughing if Scotland votes yes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2745705/SIMON-HEFFER-The-silver-lining-English-Scots-alone.html

How do they get get away with publishing that sort of absolute nonsense. Subsidised?? Dependency culture? It truly is staggering they still think that. I hope there is no currency union and those self righteous, ignorant feel the pain of the removal of their "subsidies" to us. It will cripple them.

no it won't. is this your own version of project fear? Using the Daily Mail as a barometer as well. Dear God. That paper does not even like anyone north of watford.

Sat in a restaurant in Spain last night listening to 3 middle class, middle aged people discuss the referendum from a postion of utter ignorance.

Vile, bigoted, anti Scottish hate poured out of them until I had to interject and ask them politely to shut the up.

Sadly, this seems utterly typical of the English viewpoint.

They're consumed by bitterness about this.

no it won't. is this your own version of project fear? Using the Daily Mail as a barometer as well. Dear God. That paper does not even like anyone north of watford.

Still pretty influential Ed and there's an awful lot of people who live "south of Watford." Technically I live north of Watford and in mnay places round here the Mial is Gospel.

That's simon Heffer not "they". Heffer is old school right-wing section 28, liberal society causes murders type of oxbridge chap.

That's simon Heffer not "they". Heffer is old school right-wing section 28, liberal society causes murders type of oxbridge chap.

I said how do "THEY get away with publishing" I do not think it is wholly indicative of a nation as you seem to imply. I was being critical of that news outlet. It is however probably indicative of the daily mail readers due to it's attitude towards Scotland over many years.

I said how do "THEY get away with publishing" I do not think it is wholly indicative of a nation as you seem to imply. I was being critical of that news outlet. It is however probably indicative of the daily mail readers due to it's attitude towards Scotland over many years.

Check the title of your post. The only thing i'm trying to imply is Simon Heffer is a total cant. I think we're probably agreeing just coming from it at different angles.

I agree with Miliband that the border situation would need to be looked at. Let's be realistic about this - look at the situation in Calais with immigrants trying to get into the UK and France pretty much turning a blind eye to it. If those people decided to go instead via an independent Scotland, the rest of the UK would need to deal with that. Just as an independent Scotland would have the right to check who is going the other way.

I agree with Miliband that the border situation would need to be looked at. Let's be realistic about this - look at the situation in Calais with immigrants trying to get into the UK and France pretty much turning a blind eye to it. If those people decided to go instead via an independent Scotland, the rest of the UK would need to deal with that. Just as an independent Scotland would have the right to check who is going the other way.

Is the channel tunnel going to relocate to Rosyth after independence?

Is the channel tunnel going to relocate to Rosyth after independence?

I'll let you answer your own question. However, I do think it's possible that an immigrant planning on getting to the RUK via an independent Scotland might plan a different route than the one that most currently take, thus making your question irrelevant. Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting (and neither is Miliband) that we place armed guards at the border from day one. However, if it turns out that a lot of illegal immigrants are coming to the RUK via an independent Scotland, then I would expect our government to do something about it. As such, I have no problem with Miliband saying that it "would have to be looked at" as an option. That doesn't mean it WILL happen, it just means it's an option.

And how would they go through Scotland ??? we don't have a ferry that they could stow away on,maybe they could go through Ireland,but to do that they would have to enter the UK and leave and go back in again,that would be silly.Seriously,somehow they are going to get all the way to Scotland and then sneak over the heavily guarded border.

Jacobite, if it doesn't happen then there won't be any need for border guards. I'm not saying it should happen - I'm saying that it should remain an option in case it is needed. What's the problem with that?

Also, what about if people apply legally to get to Scotland and then, once there, and for whatever reason, decide instead that they want to head to the RUK? You know how some immigrants apply to come here as students and then disappear etc.

I honestly don't see the problem with the RUK saying now that we reserve the right to protect our borders should it be necessary. You can vote for your independence, but you can't dictate to the RUK what we do afterwards.

Jacobite, if it doesn't happen then there won't be any need for border guards. I'm not saying it should happen - I'm saying that it should remain an option in case it is needed. What's the problem with that?

Also, what about if people apply legally to get to Scotland and then, once there, and for whatever reason, decide instead that they want to head to the RUK? You know how some immigrants apply to come here as students and then disappear etc.

I honestly don't see the problem with the RUK saying now that we reserve the right to protect our borders should it be necessary. You can vote for your independence, but you can't dictate to the RUK what we do afterwards.

No problem its your border as well but why don't you do it in Ireland ??? And people can do what you describe already,they can apply to go to the UK and disappear they can apply to go to Ireland and take a stroll over the border and they are in the UK. Build a border if you want,just seems bizarre in this day and age.

More of the same tripe from the mail.

All about the (Fear Factor) headline and (Unsubstantiated) scare.

The only sure thing this morning is that 'They've' woken up to the possibility and are fukin bricking it.

NB Miliband has no power to put guards anywhere.

More of the same tripe from the mail.

All about the (Fear Factor) headline and (Unsubstantiated) scare.

The only sure thing this morning is that 'They've' woken up to the possibility and are fukin bricking it.

NB Miliband has no power to put guards anywhere.

They sure are :ok:

I doubt Millibland would ever have the power in him to pull a muscle let alone put these oh so scary border guards out if he became PM.

Interestingly.......

51/49 for NO is reported as the 'majority of Scots don't want independence.'

The reverse has been reported above as being 'on a knife edge.' (Which it is)

These feckers think the people of Scotland (Regardless of where they originate) are zipped up the back......